Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospect Rankings 2019 (1st)

Who's #1

• Vitaly Abramov

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rudolfs Balcers

• Jacob Bernard-Docker

• Filip Gustavsson

• Marcus Hogberg

• Christian Jaros

• Maxime Lajoie

• Shane Pinto

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
For a team that finished last and second last the past 2 seasons that sure is an underwhelming group. This is Batherson then a whole lot of average after him. I truly dont see a single first line forward, top pair d man or a legit stud goalie prospect.

Probably...but the way the league is changing, it almost feels like we're drifting into another dead puck era in the NHL...only this time the culprit isn't size and interference plays, but an overall evening-out of the skill across the board. I don't think I've ever recalled seeing a time where the overall abilities of the average first line across the NHL was so close to the average 3rd line. It's really getting harder and harder to find 'outliers,' guys who have unbelievable skill or athleticism compared to the average player.

Reactions: derriko

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Thompson can play right now in the NHL. So can Brannstrom. Brown and Batherson are still big question marks. Batherson is an overager. Who still can not crack the lineup. Defense is much harder as a position to play. So it makes Thompson as a number one prospect, then Brannstrom. Simple logic.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Thompson can play right now in the NHL. So can Brannstrom. Brown and Batherson are still big question marks. Batherson is an overager. Who still can not crack the lineup. Defense is much harder as a position to play. So it makes Thompson as a number one prospect, then Brannstrom. Simple logic.
Batherson is ready, Brannstrom didn’t exactly stand head and shoulders above in lower leagues. Batherson is on the opening roster for sure, he’s our only prospect we have with top line potential. Everyone else you mention needs lots of time to simmer in the minors IMO

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Tier 1: Brannstrom/Batherson
Tier 2: Brown/Thomson/JBD

Goalies are voodoo, but I think if Hog and Gus are there so should Sogaard (and Daccord honestly, but I only get one vote).

Reactions: BigRig4

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa

I don't think I've ever read a post of yours that I agree with. Batherson is an overager? Overager of what?

Batherson is likely to put up the same level of production as Stone's rookie season. I expect around 50-low 60 points. Guy definitely has first line potential. So too does Brown; guy has amazing skill, and people would know this if they watched the Dev camp.

People here complaining about our prospect pool are pathetic.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Batherson is ready, Brannstrom didn’t exactly stand head and shoulders above in lower leagues. Batherson is on the opening roster for sure, he’s our only prospect we have with top line potential. Everyone else you mention needs lots of time to simmer in the minors IMO

How can you tell that Batherson is ready? He flopped terribly as an overager in NHL, after very good stretch in AHL, leading the team in scoring. I hope not, but it is to be continued as usual. Brown is a floater. Teams can not afford floaters like this)) His approach to the game did not change at all. The kid has his head up his ass really. I can not justify a floater like this as a top six player.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
How can you tell that Batherson is ready? He flopped terribly as an overager in NHL, after very good stretch in AHL, leading the team in scoring. I hope not, but it is to be continued as usual. Brown is a floater. Teams can not afford floaters like this)) His approach to the game did not change at all. The kid has his head up his ass really. I can not justify a floater like this as a top six player.
What in the??

pt_mck

Jul 1, 2005
Ottawa
For a team that finished last and second last the past 2 seasons that sure is an underwhelming group. This is Batherson then a whole lot of average after him. I truly dont see a single first line forward, top pair d man or a legit stud goalie prospect.

Brannstrom has a higher ceiling than Batherson.

Tkachuk is still just 19.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Number 2 is gonna be the easiest vote in prospect ranking history lmao

Also add Sogaard!

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It’s terrible logic, not that it’s out of the ordinary from the source.

Not sure you understand what the term overages means either, your use makes no sense.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think we have 2 top 6 forward prospects in Batherson and Brown and 4 top 4 D prospects in Brannstrom, JBD, Thomson and Wolanin. Norris may be a top 6 I don't have him there yet but he can change my mind on that. I was hoping Wolanin would graduate this year but remains to be seen and isn't looking like that at the moment imo. I see Formenton and Balcers as good 3rd line prospects. Abramov , I am not sure about yet. Jaros I would have on the bottom pair in relation to the other D prospects. I think Hogberg is pretty close to NHL ready. They had to rely a lot, too much really, on him last year and he delivered. I like what I've seen from Daccord. Gus ...stylistically looks good but we need to see consistency out of him. Lajoie made the team last fall...kudos to him.. He was then fed way to much steak by putting him with Ceci on the shut down pair. I expect him to stand out in Belleville this year.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So this is the result of the Duchene trade (talking only about the Sens side of things) :

Turris (there was 71 Games left before UFA) + 4th OA in 2019 + Shane Bowers + 63rd OA in 2019

Duchene (118 games in Ottawa) + Lassi Thomson + Vitali Abramov + Jonathan Davidsson

Good thing we didn't extend Turris in Ottawa at that amount and term, much rather have had Duchene for 118 games. So in the end, it's going to be :

Thomson vs Byram (even though no guarantee Ottawa would have made that pick 4th OA, only way to compare)
Stienburg vs Abramov (same principle but it's more the performance of Abramov vs the value of an early 3rd)
Bowers vs Davidsson

This trade could still be salvaged if Thompson becomes "another Chabot" and depending on Abramov/Davidsson

Totally disagree. It's only been 2 drafts since the team has started sucking, one which resulted in Brady Tkachuk 4th OA (not too shabby) and Lassi Thompson (19th OA instead of 4th OA due to the Duchene trade, which I talked about above your quote)

Looking at the pool only is misleading considering there is already all this young graduated talent on the team

Tkachuk (19)
White (22)
Duclair (23)
Brown (25)
Tierney (25)
Pageau (26)
Chabot (22)
DeMelo (26)
Zaitsev (27)

That's 6 (SIX) top-9 forwards and 3 (THREE) top-6 D-men and 2 of them are going to be stars in this league (Chabot/Tkachuk)

Pool will look like this (this is not my exact top-25 but close)

1- Erik Brannstrom
Drake Batherson
Logan Brown
Lassi Thomson
Jacob Bernard-Docker
Josh Norris
7- Christian Wolanin
Shane Pinto
Alex Formenton
Rudolfs Balcers
Mads Sogaard
Jonathan Davidsson
Filip Gustavsson
14-Christian Jaros
Filip Chlapik
Angus Crookshank
Johnny Tychonick
Vitaly Abramov
Maxime Lajoie
20- Joey Daccord
Marcus Hogberg
Olle Alsing
Max Veronneau

Look at guys like Abramov, Lajoie and Daccord barely make my top-20. That's batshit crazy

Considering the picks the Sens own in the next 2 drafts (9 picks in the first 2 rounds, instead of just 4), they are in a very very good position. Plus, they will draft high in 2020 and the top-end of the draft is going to be absolutely filthy. Sharks might miss the playoffs next year, giving the Sens another relatively high first round pick. Plus who knows? Having 3 picks in the 2nd round is crazy good considering the value of this draft and they could even end up with another first (I'd package Tierney and a 2nd to move up in the late first, for example)

Seriously, if Melnyk could just sell the team and if the downtown arena project was underway, things would get sunny very fast in Ottawa

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

So please don't tell me our best NHL prospect, the guy with the most NHL upside and star potential since 2016 on is a 5'9" defenseman.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

So please don't tell me our best NHL prospect, the guy with the most NHL upside and star potential since 2016 on is a 5'9" defenseman.

if it makes you feel better, the media guide for development camp listed him as 5'10, and with skates on that's pretty much 6'...

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
if it makes you feel better, the media guide for development camp listed him as 5'10, and with skates on that's pretty much 6'...
6' makes me feel better :laugh:. Even 6' D are pretty small for the NHL. Karlsson is listed at 6 and he looks small. 5'9 is really small. If our best prospect was a 5'9 forward and could play like Brayden Point (listed at 5 10) .. that would be just fine. Anyway Dorion knows how tall he is and it was the best day of his life so I should not worry. I would like to know how many people voted for Brannstrom because Dorion said it was the best day of his life...

Reactions: Cosmix

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
6' makes me feel better :laugh:. Even 6' D are pretty small for the NHL. Karlsson is listed at 6 and he looks small. 5'9 is really small. If our best prospect was a 5'9 forward and could play like Brayden Point (listed at 5 10) .. that would be just fine. Anyway Dorion knows how tall he is and it was the best day of his life so I should not worry. I would like to know how many people voted for Brannstrom because Dorion said it was the best day of his life...

Yes, that's small for a defenseman. I think that's mostly why he's generally projected as a second pairing guy. And nothing wrong with a 2nd pair defenseman...still a good asset.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Im hoping/expecting Brannstrom to be our Torey Krug, who is one of the most underrated player in the league but very efficient all over the ice

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Anyway Dorion knows how tall he is and it was the best day of his life so I should not worry. I would like to know how many people voted for Brannstrom because Dorion said it was the best day of his life...

Probably the same amount as those who didn’t vote for him for that same reason.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Brannstrom is still really young. Turns 20 in Sept, less than 2 two weeks older than Tkachuk and about a year older than Thomson who we just drafted.

He and Formenton were two of the youngest picks in the 2017 draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad