Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospect Rankings 2019 (12th)

Who's #12?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
Sens Board Prospect Rankings 2019

1. Drake Batherson (C/RW) - Belleville Senators (AHL) 48.7%
2. Erik Brannstrom (D) - Belleville Senators (AHL) 83.5%
3. Logan Brown (C) - Belleville Senators (AHL) 63.5%
4. Jacob Bernard-Docker (D) - University of North Dakota (NCAA) 31.8%
5. Lassi Thomson (D) - Kelowna Rockets (WHL) 49.4%
6. Josh Norris (C) - University of Michigan (NCAA) 40.5%
7. Christian Wolanin (D) - Belleville Senators (AHL) 58.3%
8. Alex Formenton (LW) - London Knights (OHL) 51.4%
9. Christian Jaros (D) - Ottawa Senators (NHL) 23.9% (Tiebreaker)
10. Rudolfs Balcers (LW) - Belleville Senators (AHL) 32.8%
11. Filip Gustavsson (G) - Belleville Senators (AHL) 25.4%

GettyImages-1083146156-e1547157785596-1024x683.jpg

Added Carcone

Who Should I Add Next?

Olle Alsing - Djurgardens IF (SHL)
Jean-Christophe Beaudin - Belleville Senators (AHL)
Todd Burgess - RPI (NCAA)
Andreas Englund - Belleville Senators (AHL)
Maxence Guenette - Val-d'Or Foreurs (QMJHL)
Mark Kastelic - Calgary Hitmen (WHL)
Morgan Klimchuk - Belleville Senators (AHL)
Viktor Lodin - Orebro HK (SHL)
Luke Loheit - Penticton Vees (BCHL)
Kevin Mandolese - Cape Breton Screaming Eagles (QMJHL)
Jakov Novak - Bentley University (NCAA)
Markus Nurmi - TPS (Liiga)
Andrew Sturtz - Belleville Senators (AHL)

The poll will be open for 24-48 hours.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Went with Abramov as i think he has the highest upside.

Lajoie Davidsson and Crookshank all got consideration as did the Goalies.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Been going with Chlapik but I've switched to Lajoie. He looked impressive in the NHL as a 20 year old for a good 25 games to start the year. That isn't a huge sample size but it isn't insignificant either.

I think he'll peak as a top 4. Not sure it'll be with the Sens though.

Reactions: NB613 and Cosmix

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I think this is Pinto but my vote is useless if I go for him so next up is Abramov for me here.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Sogaard was my goalie pick but I'll give Gus the nod and look back at skaters for a couple rounds.

Reactions: Xspyrit

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Davidsson has been playing very well against men for a while now and has shown some good skills and tools. I think that shows he's coming along well in his development and also that he has good upside. He's my pick until he's finally on the board. Then I'm looking at Lajoie, then it'll be tight between abramov, pinto, and crookshank. Maybe chlapik is in that group too. Hopefully you guys will make it easy for me by voting some of those guys in before davidsson. I mean I've been voting for him since the 9th pick, so maybe the polls will keep being easy for me, lol

Reactions: Sensinitis

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
When could you place Arthur Kaliyev if we drafted him, Pinto is still not on the board)))? I would say Kaliyev would make number 5-6 right now in prospect ratings.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Next year we should set out a rule that if they have played more than 8 NHL games that season, they are removed as a prospect.

Basically, a ranking of the last 2-3 drafts minus the guys who already got a NHL taste + the long shots prospects. That would eliminate Batherson, Wolanin, Chlapik, Formenton, Balcers, Jaros, Lajoie, Paul, Veronneau and the fully graduated NHL player Andreas Englund (who played 9 NHL games)

I don't know how you can look at those names and think they are graduated NHL players. Jaros and Wolanin are the closest and will graduate very soon if they stick with the team. That's why I think that the old HF criterias were chosen very carefully. Many prospects played a part of a season at some point but weren't back the next year. They were benefiting injuries or just the fact that their team missed the playoffs and traded players before the deadline. If a player achieves to play 65 NHL regular season games, that's when he is considered graduated. Very good consistent criterias

If we do change for a 8 games criteria, then who are we comparing the pool with? Other NHL teams? Doubt any team go by those criterias. Ex Sens pools? Yeah, not the same criterias again.

I mean, it's very possible to determine new criterias but the constant desire to set new unique and random criterias is a mystery to me. Why not go with consensus like this site has been doing for over a decade? Or make a poll to determine what should be the new consensus.

1 person could say 8 games, another could say 10 games, then 15, then 20, etc and it never ends.

Last edited:

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
8 games burns a year of entry level. That is why I set that threshold.

Balcers played 36 games in Ottawa last year.
Lajoie played 56.

I dont view these guys as prospects anymore. To me they are rookies.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013

Lajoie played 56.

It's 10 games to burn a year of ELC.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Lajoie played 56.

Read my post again I edited and added some very important points.

I'm not targeting your post, but just in general I don't see why so many people struggle so much with a durable and constant set of rules. Is it the need for change?

The 65/45 games and 25 y/o threshold was established long time ago and it was to cover many cases, like for example Nick Paul. Do you consider him graduated? He has played 56 NHL games which is more than Balcers and Lajoie. The thing is we don't know what we have these guys yet, and that is why they established those criterias. It's as simple as that.

You might have the INSURANCE that Lajoie and Balcers are going to be on the NHL team full-time but the problem here, is that not everybody might share your vision. WHICH IS WHY those rules were made like that, again.

8 games would just be ridiculous, and personally I would instantly lose all interest and wouldn't follow that anymore. Move on to something else, the world has plenty to offer.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Comparing forwards with forwards, what makes Chlapik so far ahead of Abramov?

I'm a fan of Chlapik btw. Just curious.

He has outproduced Abramov at the AHL level, plays center, is bigger and plays with more of an edge. I am not overly high on either but he looks like a way better bet to become an NHL player than Abramov from what I have seen.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
He has outproduced Abramov at the AHL level, plays center, is bigger and plays with more of an edge. I am not overly high on either but he looks like a way better bet to become an NHL player than Abramov from what I have seen.

That's fair, but Abramov is a year younger than Chlapik. He vastly outproduced Chlapik in the Q and was a better goal and point scorer there. If you compare their rookie seasons in the AHL, Abramov even outproduced Chlapik there too. You'd think Abramov will put up a better 2nd AHL season than the one Chlapik had given his skill and trajectory. They're pretty close imo. But yeah I like Chlapik's IQ, hands, passing and vision. I think he needs an extra step (speed-wise) to be a center in the NHL. What makes you think Chlapik plays with more of an edge? Abramov is pretty chippy for a guy his size and goes to the dirty areas a lot.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That's fair, but Abramov is a year younger than Chlapik. He vastly outproduced Chlapik in the Q and was a better goal and point scorer there. If you compare their rookie seasons in the AHL, Abramov even outproduced Chlapik there too. You'd think Abramov will put up a better 2nd AHL season than the one Chlapik had given his skill and trajectory. They're pretty close imo. But yeah I like Chlapik's IQ, hands, passing and vision. I think he needs an extra step (speed-wise) to be a center in the NHL. What makes you think Chlapik plays with more of an edge? Abramov is pretty chippy for a guy his size and goes to the dirty areas a lot.

Abramov looks to me like a guy that would score alot in Jr but I dont see his game translating to the pro level. In their last seasons in jr Chlapik had 110 points in 70 games including 19 in 13 playoff games. Abramov had 120 points in 69 games including playoffs. The difference was not that large. Agreed Abramov is the better goal scorer.

Abramov did not outproduce Chlapik at the AHL level in their rookie seasons.

Chlapik had 32 points in 52 games .62 PPG

Abramov had 29 points in 70 games .41 PPG

Like I said before, Chlapik is bigger and plays the more valuable position, I also like his hockey IQ more which comes back to being an effective scorer at the nhl vs jr. Which is something that can be achieved when the physical gifts are greater but there isnt the same degree of hockey sense which is what I think could be an issue for Abramov, he has great individual skill. Agreed Chlapik needs an extra step to be an impact player at the next level. Both players have good compete levels I just prefer the 6'1 guy to the 5'9 player when they are leaning on the opposition.

Last edited:

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Abramov looks to me like a guy that would score alot in Jr but I dont see his game translating to the pro level. In their last seasons in jr Chlapik had 110 points in 70 games including 19 in 13 playoff games. Abramov had 120 points in 69 games including playoffs. The difference was not that large. Agreed Abramov is the better goal scorer.

Abramov did not outproduce Chlapik at the AHL level in their rookie seasons.

Chlapik had 32 points in 52 games .62 PPG

Abramov had 29 points in 70 games .41 PPG

Like I said before, Chlapik is bigger and plays the more valuable position, I also like his hockey IQ more which comes back to being an effective scorer in jr which is something that can be achieved when the physical gifts are greater but there isnt the same degree of hockey sense. Agreed Chlapik needs an extra step to be an impact player at the next level. Both players have good compete levels I just prefer the 6'1 guy to the 5'9 player when they are leaning on the opposition.

My bad I meant that Abramov outscored him goals-wise at the AHL level in their rookie seasons, not points. You're right about PPG obviously.

It's definitely reasonable to think that Abramov won't pan out in the NHL. I think his work ethic and willingness to get his nose dirty will make him carve out a role, even if it's just on the 3rd line. He would be the exception and not the rule given his size, but the NHL is really opening up to these types of players. We'll see what happens...

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
My bad I meant that Abramov outscored him goals-wise at the AHL level in their rookie seasons, not points. You're right about PPG obviously.

It's definitely reasonable to think that Abramov won't pan out in the NHL. I think his work ethic and willingness to get his nose dirty will make him carve out a role, even if it's just on the 3rd line. He would be the exception and not the rule given his size, but the NHL is really opening up to these types of players. We'll see what happens...

Hey I hope all our prospects work out, at the very least they can be a tradeable asset I could certainly be wrong about Abramov too I hope he is the next Cam Atkinson. I am just kinda suprised he is winning the poll at this point, to me Lajoie is the obvious choice here. If he puts on some weight he is going to be an NHL defenseman no doubt in my mind. He has a great hockey IQ and good puck skills to go along with it. Just needs to get stronger.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hey I hope all our prospects work out, at the very least they can be a tradeable asset I could certainly be wrong about Abramov too I hope he is the next Cam Atkinson. I am just kinda suprised he is winning the poll at this point, to me Lajoie is the obvious choice here. If he puts on some weight he is going to be an NHL defenseman no doubt in my mind. He has a great hockey IQ and good puck skills to go along with it. Just needs to get stronger.

I really like Lajoie, but I think he's more limited in terms of his upside. That said, it was mostly between him and Abramov for me.

I also have doubts about Lajoie getting significantly stronger. That's been the knock on him for a while, and he's had a couple years to work with team staff. Hope I'm wrong about this because I love his skating and his hockey sense is a + (though after his first 20 or so games he started making some really questionable decisions).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad