Sens Board Prospect Rankings 2014 (5th)

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I picked Claesson. I really like his upside as a top 4 D. Not huge upside for points but he has great wheels to bring it up the ice himself, hard to play against and showing steady progress each year. Niklas Hjalmarsson comparable.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I picked Claesson. I really like his upside as a top 4 D. Not huge upside for points but he has great wheels to bring it up the ice himself, hard to play against and showing steady progress each year. Niklas Hjalmarsson comparable.

It was a toss up between Pageau and Claesson for me... either are interchangeable for this spot and 6th IMO.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Man, our prospect pool has gotten weak.

Not really. A top 3 of Lazar, Ceci and Stone can match up against most teams in the league - all should be impact players down the road.

Beyond those three, there are guys right on the cusp of making it like Pageau, Hoffman, Claesson, Borowiecki, Grant as well as guys who have a very good chance of being NHLers like Puempel, Prince, Dzingel, Guptill. There's a lot of future NHLers in our prospect pool, more-so than most of the teams in the league.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
If you look at the results for each of the previous polls they weren't even close.

It's a waste of time to do one/day when they are not even close.
You have puempel at 57%. That could have went on longer.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Not really. A top 3 of Lazar, Ceci and Stone can match up against most teams in the league - all should be impact players down the road.

Beyond those three, there are guys right on the cusp of making it like Pageau, Hoffman, Claesson, Borowiecki, Grant as well as guys who have a very good chance of being NHLers like Puempel, Prince, Dzingel, Guptill. There's a lot of future NHLers in our prospect pool, more-so than most of the teams in the league.

Grant,borowiecki, and Hoffman are not prospects anymore. If they don't make the NHL permanently this year, they will be labeled career ahlers...if they haven't already. These guys are 24-25. They should be entering their prime. Most players have had their career year offensively by that age. Not saying they won't make it but just trying to put some perspective. Every team has 25 year olds who haven't cracked the NHL yet their fans believe they got what it takes. They're most likely nothing special and shouldn't be used to try to say we have strong pipeline because we'll get laughed at.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Meh, the next closest was JGP at 26%

I guess. I'm not arguing for myself. I've been fortunate to vote every time and have the guy I voted for win.

I just think it would be cool to establish some type of rule...like next poll after 24 hours or a certain number of votes. I'll shut up now lol I've made my point.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
I guess. I'm not arguing for myself. I've been fortunate to vote every time and have the guy I voted for win.

I just think it would be cool to establish some type of rule...like next poll after 24 hours or a certain number of votes. I'll shut up now lol I've made my point.

I understand what you're trying to say here, but every vote so far has been a land slide. If they were close we would of went the 24 hours.

Was no real reason to wait.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Gah after 5 pretty big drop off, good chance a lot of those guys will see NHL time but essentially depth players here on out

You may never know.

Claesson could be our elite shutdown defender ala Hjammerlsson.

Dzingel could pan out to be a number 1/2 C.

Wikstrand could evolve into top pairing.

Dunn could be our Marchand.

Guptill could be top 6 forward.

We have a lot of "diamond in the rough" type prospects and if one pans out, look out.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
You may never know.

We have a lot of "diamond in the rough" type prospects and if one pans out, look out.

This could be said about any prospect for any team.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
You may never know.

And Englund could be better than all of these guys, if the org's confidence in him pans out into actual results.

VVS

Nov 22, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Voted Wikstrand.

I think he has higher upside than Pageau, though I'd love for Pageau to emerge as great 3rd liner/solid 2nd liner.

Hopefully Pageau shows something this year, 2 points in 28 games last (with awful line-mates) is not great.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Not 100% on Pageau being ahead of Guptil or Claesson. All three are very good prospects although not sure I see Pageau as a top 6 forward. Guptil has a very high ceiling with a great package of size/skill/skating. I voted him.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Guptil, Wikstrand, Pageau, Claesson, Dzingel... Still a very good group left. Some with high end potential.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Will be choosing Claesson until he is picked. Saw him live twice this year, stood out tremendously both times. That along with other viewings has me excited for him to hopefully fill a 4-5 spot soon.

I have yet to see Guptill or Paul so will reserve judgement and refrain from voting.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Grant,borowiecki, and Hoffman are not prospects anymore. If they don't make the NHL permanently this year, they will be labeled career ahlers...if they haven't already. These guys are 24-25. They should be entering their prime. Most players have had their career year offensively by that age. Not saying they won't make it but just trying to put some perspective. Every team has 25 year olds who haven't cracked the NHL yet their fans believe they got what it takes. They're most likely nothing special and shouldn't be used to try to say we have strong pipeline because we'll get laughed at.

Personally, I could care less about what others say, particularly Leafs and Habs fans who get amazing grades but it's always best-case scenario compared to the Sens that is always very conservative.

I mean Habs have 5 (yes FIVE) forwards with the same grade as Curtis Lazar. The hype for everything Ottawa is very small compared to Toronto/Montreal

Personally, after the 5-6 obvious ones, I'm high on guys like Dzingel, Guptill, Wikstrand, Baillargeon and Harpur.

We seem to dismiss Prince as a prospect for some kind of reason. 99% sure it's heavily related to he sister tweets or whatever crap it was. Guy still have a good to great potential

And there's Claesson who was one of the best D-men in the AHL last year in just his 2nd AHL season.

Driedger has a much bigger potential than people seem to think around here. He's actually a top-quality prospect

Lindberg seems to be emerging. Nick Paul is rising, could establish himself as top prospect as soon as this year. I predict Baillargeon will be one of our next emerging prospects

Guys like Schneider, McCormick, Dunn, Hogberg, Robinson, Sdao, Baillargeon, Lindberg, Shore will be in the low 10's and some won't even crack the top-20. There's still a lot of quality in Sens pool, the only difference is it lacks guys like Zibanejad and Lehner. I mean, add those 2 guys and our pool is as good as before. It's just that a ton of youth just graduated from the team over the last 2-3 seasons, so it's a bit normal if it lacks 1 or 2 high end guys. Still very strong with Lazar, Ceci, Stone, Puempel and Prince (but we voted Pageau)

Anyway, I don't care. I've been behind a lot of prospects over the years and most have panned out. Obviously, I have some misses too (like Petersson and Regin) but I'm very confident to say we will manufacture another 10 NHL players out of the actual list.

Yes, always need some kind of standardization... Every 24 hours would be perfect. I think for the rest (since none should be a landslide win), we should do like that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad