Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Blues Chapter 2: The Wrath of O'Rourke

Status
Not open for further replies.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Nah, last night showed me enough. We're better without MM in the lineup. He just isn't effective enough and while Condra won't score a lot, he's better defensively, effective on the PK and is a better puck possession player. He's just more useful to the bottom 6.

Zibby in, Greening out (was nice to see Greening more assertive on the forecheck though). Although I half wonder of Lazar would be better served going down now. He just doesn't seem to be getting enough time for my taste. Not about ability, I just think he might be better developed playing more minutes in junior than limited time up here.

Agree on Michalek. He just looks lost out there; cruising around, looking for the play to come to him - and it doesn't

I'd like Lazar to go to the worlds and see if he can upgrade his scoring touch and be the leader they need. He could then go back down for the remainder to help Edmonton get back top the Mem Cup and also solidify all the things he's learned here as he scores the way he can. Next year he steps in as a more rounded player.

Pageau can take his spot and show us what he can do. He knows now that his window is smaller and he needs the time to show he belongs.

Zib stays and shows he belongs (or is dealt in Methot package for Eberle, Schultz). I think he benefits from the pressbox time to understand the pace of the game and how he has to dominate in it.

Neil must go at deadline - give him a Cup shot as spin.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If I had to choose one player from blues it would be Schwartz.. how good is that kid. (after pietrangelo obviously)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Agree on Michalek. He just looks lost out there; cruising around, looking for the play to come to him - and it doesn't

I'd like Lazar to go to the worlds and see if he can upgrade his scoring touch and be the leader they need. He could then go back down for the remainder to help Edmonton get back top the Mem Cup and also solidify all the things he's learned here as he scores the way he can. Next year he steps in as a more rounded player.

Pageau can take his spot and show us what he can do. He knows now that his window is smaller and he needs the time to show he belongs.

Zib stays and shows he belongs (or is dealt in Methot package for Eberle, Schultz). I think he benefits from the pressbox time to understand the pace of the game and how he has to dominate in it.

Neil must go at deadline - give him a Cup shot as spin.

Why do people want Shultz? Don't get me wrong, he's got good potential, but he's another RD, and I'd rather role with Karlsson and Ceci on our Right side. We don't need top 4 RD, we need top 4 LD, so why pay for what we don't need? I'm not playing Ceci or Schultz on the bottom pair.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
If I had to choose one player from blues it would be Schwartz.. how good is that kid. (after pietrangelo obviously)

Actually Shettenkirk impressed me more the Petro last night.

Also, you don't want any part of Shultz. If you think Karlsson has defensive struggles, then you haven't seen anything yet. I'd rather call up Wideman than get Shultz.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Why do people want Shultz? Don't get me wrong, he's got good potential, but he's another RD, and I'd rather role with Karlsson and Ceci on our Right side. We don't need top 4 RD, we need top 4 LD, so why pay for what we don't need? I'm not playing Ceci or Schultz on the bottom pair.

He was discussed on TSN last night as being a better option from Petry. Your point is solid though. Maybe we look at a 2nd round pick.

I like Karlsson and Ceci and Gryba as the set, but there is no depth after that, unless we count Wideman.

We could end up flipping him with Classen, Englund, Wikstrand & Wideman coming hard next year for a spot that does not yet exist.

bonehead

May 27, 2002
Visit site
Really exciting game and a great one to win with lots of effort.

Thought Wiercioch played a very strong game and worked well with Karlsson. Last half of the 3rd and most of the OT it seemed Ottawa just rotated 3D - karlsson, Ceci & Wiercioch - to keep the pace up. MacLean also shortened his bench up front and played more of the faster players. I thought that had a huge impact on our pace and the team's ability to press St. Louis, tie the game, and almost win it a few times in OT.

Hope the team keeps moving in this direction and gives more opportunity to the faster/more skilled players. At some point it would be great to see what Pageau can do with some decent wingers over 20 games. I know his ceiling isn't the highest but his skating and ability to control the play/set up wingers is superior to any of our centres not named Turris. Lazar looks injured right now, doesn't have quite the same jump in his game. Mika has size and goal-scoring ability, but lacks some skating right now and has utterly failed at the puck control/play-making aspect of centre. Smith and Legwand are both very limited 4th-liners who lack the skating and hands to create much.

Would love to see Ottawa "finish the rebuild" by moving out some of the older/slower players and get the team closer to where it needs to be.

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
Shoot, I'm late to the party. What a sweet victory!! Thats why we pay Bobby the big bucks!!

I've always been a Condra fan. He needs to be in the lineup somehow.

Man the Blues are unlikeable. Lapeirre haha what a sleezeball, he does entertain tho, in a clown like way.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Every team's fans get whiny.

By the way, Karlsson is better than Petro.

less about the loss im talking about the goals getting waved off debate, i could understand stupid comments flying when you lost a game but how the thread got derailed from debated if the goals should have been waived off was ridiculous

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I think the Sens had their rally point after 2 periods and looked amazing in the third. Lots of purpose and heart, never quitting and they deserved to win the game. As a Sens fan, one of my all-time most gratifying. As a hockey fan, THAT was a great game.

Loving Cowen's play, I suddenly have a lot of confidence when he is on the ice, great open ice hit on Peitrangelo after one of our guys was hit late by Shattenkirk. An underrated passer with excellent hockey sense.

Condra demonstrated what type of piece we are missing from the puzzle.

Greening, as Ferraro stated muffed a few because of rust, but his effort was back to the days of when he was #52. Playing his heart out to stay in the lineup.

Bobby Ryan played with the commitment needed to ne a leader, great game!

Let's hope they build on it and blow the Panthers out.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Interesting stat line from last night..

CATEGORY OTT STL
Power Plays 0/3 1/6
Hits 28 17
Faceoff Wins 30 38
Giveaways 2 4
Takeaways 10 7
Blocked Shots 6 25
Penalty Minutes 26 20

Ottawa actually played a great game. We've got to do something about our shots getting blocked though. Having 25 blocked in a game is ridiculous.

Big ups to EK, Ryan and Condra. Pretty much all of the line-up had a decent game. This is how the team can play when ppl aren't making mistakes every 2nd shift. Nice to see them take it up a notch. This was the best hockey we've seen this year from the Sens.

What I'm looking for now is to see it in consecutive games!

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Interesting stat line from last night..

CATEGORY OTT STL
Power Plays 0/3 1/6
Hits 28 17
Faceoff Wins 30 38
Giveaways 2 4
Takeaways 10 7
Blocked Shots 6 25
Penalty Minutes 26 20

Ottawa actually played a great game. We've got to do something about our shots getting blocked though. Having 25 blocked in a game is ridiculous.

Big ups to EK, Ryan and Condra. Pretty much all of the line-up had a decent game. This is how the team can play when ppl aren't making mistakes every 2nd shift. Nice to see them take it up a notch. This was the best hockey we've seen this year from the Sens.

What I'm looking for now is to see it in consecutive games!

I'd have to take a look around the league, but I don't think 25 in a game is too abnormal.

Lehner tells the team NOT to block shots, so I'm guessing that has something to do with it being so lopsided.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I'd have to take a look around the league, but I don't think 25 in a game is too abnormal.

Lehner tells the team NOT to block shots, so I'm guessing that has something to do with it being so lopsided.

I wonder why he tells the team not to block shots?

Anderson on the other hand actually does want his team to block shots iirc.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

Lehner is such an animal out there....love the little line a week or two ago of Andy wants guys to block low shots whereas Lehner wants guys to get the f out of the way....more shots for THE LEHNER, it feeds him!

Also Lehner rocking the little stick, never noticed that before....i guess he must have played around with things when the new stick sizing came down as i believe he had one of the bigger ones before....insert hyperbole lol

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Lehner is such an animal out there....love the little line a week or two ago of Andy wants guys to block low shots whereas Lehner wants guys to get the f out of the way....more shots for THE LEHNER, it feeds him!

Also Lehner rocking the little stick, never noticed that before....i guess he must have played around with things when the new stick sizing came down as i believe he had one of the bigger ones before....insert hyperbole lol

Interesting. He did prefer long stick before: http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/10/02...-that-hes-been-forced-to-change-sticks-by-nhl

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
In looking at last nights 26 blocked shots is fairly high.

More data needed.

As to why Lehner prefer's the team not to block shots, the only thing I can think of is that he'd rather know for sure whether the puck is coming through or not.

If you look back, he get's pretty annoyed when players attempt a block and it deflects into the net.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The best part of last night was probably seeing Karlsson go hay wire after they called Greening for the penalty. He was playing like he was angry and just playing hard against every player beside him. He developed an edge.

What a captain.

Neil doesn't even fight when he actually needs to fight.

Exactly. That's what separated him and Carkner as fighters.

Shattenkirk and Bouwmeester are always better then Pietrangelo when I see the blues.

Same.

Schwartz is an animal too. So good.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Props to the coach for last night's game: took some chances with the scratches, shortened the bench when he needed to, made some reasonable choices for the shoot out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad