News Article: Sens big losers of draft, per TheScore

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You guys just about **** yourselves when we got a third rounder for Prince because it was such a worthless asset to so many of you and now a third rounder is the ****ing lottomax winning combo????

To be fair, most of us are very pleased that Dorion used the 3rd (which they got late in the year and probably didn't have anyone they were really hoping to get with it because of that) to get Brown.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
To be fair, most of us are very pleased that Dorion used the 3rd (which they got late in the year and probably didn't have anyone they were really hoping to get with it because of that) to get Brown.

To be fair, we should be upset that we traded a 23 year old whom we spent five years grooming and who just had a solid playoff campaign for a third we casually threw in to move up one spot in the draft. But hey, he reminds people of Joe Thornton so there's that.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
To be fair, we should be upset that we traded a 23 year old whom we spent five years grooming and who just had a solid playoff campaign for a third we casually threw in to move up one spot in the draft. But hey, he reminds people of Joe Thornton so there's that.

Prince was mediocre and had been passed in the depth chart.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

When Prince becomes anything more than an easily replaceable roster player, I'll consider being upset about it.

As of right now, Prince is a 23 year old that hasn't managed to cement himself an NHL spot, and isn't the kind of player I'd invest any degree of energy towards getting upset about losing. I liked him, we traded him for a fair value, I moved on.

Brown was seen by most as someone that wouldn't be available by 11th, so it's not unreasonable to think that other teams were considering moving up to grab him as well. We played it safe and eliminated that threat at the cost of about a 5% chance of drafting an impact player with the pick we gave up.

More important, we apparently had Brown ranked in the 5-6 range. When evaluating whether or not to make that trade, we probably assessed it as low risk for another team to trade up or NJ to draft him ahead of us, but high damage should that occur. I make that trade every day. Now, if the guy we were targeting was ranked by us very similarly to another guy still on the board, we don't do it, but it seems to me that wasn't likely the case.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I think Bob Lowes said they considered there to be an 11-player pool of top-tier talent, and Brown was the last one left. And if they had ranked Brown higher than 11, there's no doubt they considered the drop-off between Brown and their next pick to be worth the 3rd round pick.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Bonk,

I truly appreciate your deliberately obtuse responses. It makes the board more lively. You know the regime is mostly the same and you know the point I'm making has credence - drafting isn't an exact science, we're not markedly better than anyone else to justify trading up, there's often decent value in the third, we should be maximising the odds.

Brown might work out, I truly hope he does. But for Dorion to make the choice to squander a third to move up one spot, he better have a solid rationale beyond a gut feeling. Given the available information, I'm not sure how he could. Hopefully the risk pays off.

Paying a third round pick to move up one spot does seem high as waiting one pick could yield a decent prospect too. So, Dorion is now on the "watch list" for squandering the third rounder, which is generally and statistically not worth much anyway. No big deal IMO. :)

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
You guys just about **** yourselves when we got a third rounder for Prince because it was such a worthless asset to so many of you and now a third rounder is the ****ing lottomax winning combo????
Yeah, because it's exactly the same people (whoever "you guys" is, maybe the ENTIRE forum?) who complain about losing Prince who are now complaining about moving up in the draft???? :shakehead

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Brown >= Mcleod + 3rd round pick Sens point of view

Mcleod + 3rd round pick > = Brown. Devils point of view

At this point WHO the F Cares is my point of view

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
McLeod was a pretty terrible pick at 12. We're going to look back at this swap in a few years and laugh at the Devils for making such a terrible trade. But hey, they secured their 3rd line center of the future so they have that going for them.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Paying a third round pick to move up one spot does seem high as waiting one pick could yield a decent prospect too. So, Dorion is now on the "watch list" for squandering the third rounder, which is generally and statistically not worth much anyway. No big deal IMO. :)

What "watch list"!?! It's a third round pick! People trade those like cigarettes in prison at the trade deadline.

People crying over losing a third clearly lack a grip with reality. This draft was three rounds deep.

Sweet baby Jesus I can't believe some people are whining about tossing a non-value pick for Logan Brown.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
McLeod was a pretty terrible pick at 12. We're going to look back at this swap in a few years and laugh at the Devils for making such a terrible trade. But hey, they secured their 3rd line center of the future so they have that going for them.

McLeod could be one of the better 3rd line centers in the league. Should develop into a 30-40 point two-way beast that can shutdown offensive players using his amazing speed, size and faceoff ability.

They definitely made a mistake passing on Brown, but McLeod at 12 isn't a horrible pick. He'll be a good NHLer and fits the Devils mold.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
I think Bob Lowes said they considered there to be an 11-player pool of top-tier talent, and Brown was the last one left. And if they had ranked Brown higher than 11, there's no doubt they considered the drop-off between Brown and their next pick to be worth the 3rd round pick.

No, he didn't even remotely say that.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
No, he didn't even remotely say that.

I just re-watched the interview, and you're right. :dunno: I was sure as **** that's what he said. He did say they had Brown much higher, which isn't surprising considering some were even projecting him to go 5th or 6th overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad