News Article: Sens announce changes in Hockey Ops

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
If they bring in Darche as AGM that would be a solid move. Pretty much means Dorion is gone within the year with Darche as his replacement

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Staios feels like a question of time but first time i’ve heard Darche’s name being mentioned at all. Probably Simmer just making something up and trying to pass it off as a legit rumor. Wouldn’t be the first time
Darche has been mentioned a few times linked with Andlauer and the Habs

Teams generally aren't letting guys go for a lateral move. Darche likely isn't getting let go for a move from AGM to AGM.
Would be nice to get him in a GM position right away.

If he comes in as AGM he probably moves knowing he is the next GM.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
I would be shocked, if heads began to roll, between the (rumoured) announcement today, or tomorrow , of the ownership change…and the beginning of the season.

View attachment 744253View attachment 744254

Heads will almost certainly not roll.

What's more likely is that additional executives are brought in while some who are part of the existing staff are, essentially, "managed out" over the next 9-12 months.

If, for example, Andlauer brings in Chiarelli in a full-time senior advisory role and Staios as President of Hockey Ops, he's effectively demoting and sidelining Pierre Dorion.

Dorion would go from being the guy who makes the final decision on hockey-related matters to having to ask for permission on every move. He himself would likely be ready to move on in that scenario.

The best way to push an executive out at any organization is to hire someone new above them. That's what's likely to happen here.

Chiarelli and Staios are brought in now and take the reigns. Dorion stays on for the year for continuity's sake, and after the season, he and the organization "mutually decide to part ways".

Andlauer gets his guys in. Dorion leaves without being "fired" to pursue his next opportunity.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

What's more likely is that additional executives are brought in while some who are part of the existing staff are, essentially, "managed out" over the next 9-12 months.

If, for example, Andlauer brings in Chiarelli in a full-time senior advisory role and Staios as President of Hockey Ops, he's effectively demoting and sidelining Pierre Dorion.

Dorion would go from being the guy who makes the final decision on hockey-related matters to having to ask for permission on every move. He himself would likely be ready to move on in that scenario.

The best way to push an executive out at any organization is to hire someone new above them. That's what's likely to happen here.

Chiarelli and Staios are brought in now and take the reigns. Dorion stays on for the year for continuity's sake, and after the season, he and the organization "mutually decide to part ways".

Andlauer gets his guys in. Dorion leaves without being "fired" to pursue his next opportunity.
I doubt Dorion gives up GM even if he has to ask approval for every move or even if he is just told what moves to make and has no agency himself. The title is too prestigious and I bet he himself knows that he will never be a GM again.

He was Melnyks yes man, and he would have no qualms about being Andlauer, Staois, Chia, Darche yes man.

I agree with the rest though. He will be gently pushed out without being fired.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Darche has been mentioned a few times linked with Andlauer and the Habs

Would be nice to get him in a GM position right away.

If he comes in as AGM he probably moves knowing he is the next GM.
I'm sure he'd understand, issue is that you'd need Tampa's approval, and generally teams aren't letting their guys go for a lateral position.

He's serving as the Director of Hockey Ops and Assistant GM in Tampa, I doubt they would allow him to be interviewed for an AGM role.

They will certainly allow him to interview for GM or POHO roles, as he's been a candidate in Pittsburgh and Anaheim, but lateral moves wouldn't make much sense.

Reactions: Cosmix

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ya I don't really buy that all these new guys will come in and just work alongside Dorion if the plan is to unseat him down the line. Certainly not Darche as AGM if he's pegged as the next GM.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Darche would be an awesome add. Even better if he brings in Al Murray to be the Director of Amateur scouting.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I think all the rumored names can "play nice" other than Darche (unless Dorion is out asap which would also be surprising given how this has all played out).

CEO/COO - Leeder
POHO/Senior Advisor - Chiarelli
VPOHO - Staios
GM - Dorion (or Darche I guess)

I don't see how they bring Darche in as anything less than a true GM role given his job in Tampa. I guess they could give Staois the POHO and Darche the VPOHO but that's very green and leaves Chia's role up in the air a bit.

I can't say I agree with all the potential hires, but it'll be nice to have a beefed up Hockey Ops staff for the first time in a very (very very) long time.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I’m on board with Darche, we desperately need new blood at the GM level. Hopefully he steals some TB scouts to overhaul both the prospect group and pro scouting group.

I’m very afraid of Chiarelli. Outside of Milbury he’s been the worst baffoon of a GM the NHL has ever seen . Hopefully he has nothing to do with hockey OPS

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I’m on board with Darche, we desperately need new blood at the GM level. Hopefully he steals some TB scouts to overhaul both the prospect group and pro scouting group.

I’m very afraid of Chiarelli. Outside of Milbury he’s been the worst baffoon of a GM the NHL has ever seen . Hopefully he has nothing to do with hockey OPS
He's terrible;e. I think he's won a Cup though, but he's a solidly shitty GM. If he's one of the nerds involved in some of the decisions, then fine, but I don't want him as GM.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

This is almost certainly how I see it play out too. Andlauer is going to want to bring in his guys. This is the best way to do it without rocking the boat.

Unless, of course, the Sens are off to a very poor start, and rocking the boat is required.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I still think this is the post of the decade.

giphy.webp

• Haha
Reactions: StoicSensFan

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Chiarelli made a bunch of bad trades in Edmonton, but something to consider is that the team was in a position where they were desperate to improve their defense, which is what led to the Griffin Reinhart and Larsson trades.

Hopefully our foundation is solid enough so that it won't lead to those kind of moves.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

I don’t think this is how things will unfold They aren’t going to be disrespectful towards PD.

If/when Andlauer is going to replace the GM, he’ll just replace the GM. It’s not good for anyone to have a lame duck GM paraded around the organization until he feels he has to leave. That is Canucks level dickishness that is terrible for organizational culture.

PD has had to work virtually his entire GM career under Melnyk where not only did he have to check before making moves, but he had to send money and picks for cash to boot. It’s doubtful that he’ll be phased by working with smart and reasonable people, but I guess it could be weird for him after all this time.

No, if they want to move on from PD he won’t be offered an extension this season and he’ll move on after the season, or he’ll be relieved of his duties if the team stumbles during the season.

That’s seems like the reasonable way to make organization changes when the team is not in crisis or in a downswing.

Just my 2 cents anyways.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don’t think this is how things will unfold They aren’t going to be disrespectful towards PD.

If/when Andlauer is going to replace the GM, he’ll just replace the GM. It’s not good for anyone to have a lame duck GM paraded around the organization until he feels he has to leave. That is Canucks level dickishness that is terrible for organizational culture.

PD has had to work virtually his entire GM career under Melnyk where not only did he have to check before making moves, but he had to send money and picks for cash to boot. It’s doubtful that he’ll be phased by working with smart and reasonable people, but I guess it could be weird for him after all this time.

No, if they want to move on from PD he won’t be offered an extension this season and he’ll move on after the season, or he’ll be relieved of his duties if the team stumbles during the season.

That’s seems like the reasonable way to make organization changes when the team is not in crisis or in a downswing.

Just my 2 cents anyways.
Dorion's contract runs to the end of 2024-25 season with an option for another year after that.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Just my 2 cents anyways.
Won’t be offered an extension because his contract runs until the end of the 24/25 season, as far as I know.

DJS is in his last year of his contract, and he needs a big improvement in the team’s performance this season, possibly making the playoffs at the minimum to even be considered being offered a new contract

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Won’t be offered an extension because his contract runs until the end of the 24/25 season, as far as I know.

DJS is in his last year of his contract, and he needs a big improvement in the team’s performance this season, possibly making the playoffs at the minimum to even be considered being offered a new contract
Yep on DJS, also has a club option the year after.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
As expected, Steve Staios leaves the Oilers: Statement from Jeff Jackson: “Steve Staios has resigned his position as special advisor to Edmonton Oilers hockey operations to pursue another opportunity. We have accepted Steve’s resignation, thank him for his time with the club…”

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad