LeBrun: Sens and Pageau have begun contract talks

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
pageau can easily get 2 seconds. If he wants to sign in ottawa anyway it would much better to trade him and then sign him again.

But I can understand why a dorion supporter can't comprehend that.

since when am I a Dorion supporter guy? Look, it just doesn’t happen very often that a guy gets traded and then comes back in the summer. I’ve been following the nhl for over 25 years, and I can’t think of that many times that it’s happened. A lot easier said than done.

if you trade him you have to accept he might not come back. You ok with that?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
No way Dorion keeps him. It's only to save appearances and try to increase the return.

You don't start negotiating with a guy you want to keep 4 days before the trade deadline.

Pageau is 100000000% gone. Just don't think he'll get the haul Sens management wants.

Reactions: bert

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
since when am I a Dorion supporter guy? Look, it just doesn’t happen very often that a guy gets traded and then comes back in the summer. I’ve been following the nhl for over 25 years, and I can’t think of that many times that it’s happened. A lot easier said than done.

if you trade him you have to accept he might not come back. You ok with that?

with the way the sens prospects are developing and the fact that they will be adding 2 top 5-10 picks this summer I would be totally fine even if he doesn't come back

This is an outlier season for him. He's a solid 35 point centre but that's it. I don't want the sens to have to tie up $5 mil+ for him over 5 to 6 years rather than spending some of that money on the younger players.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
with the way the sens prospects are developing and the fact that they will be adding 2 top 5-10 picks this summer I would be totally fine even if he doesn't come back

This is an outlier season for him. He's a solid 35 point centre but that's it. I don't want the sens to have to tie up $5 mil+ for him over 5 to 6 years rather than spending some of that money on the younger players.

That’s fine with me if he doesn’t come back, assuming he gets a good return in a trade. I was just responding to the fact that you seemed to think it was a forgone conclusion he’d come back in July. He might, he might not. It’s a gamble. That’s all.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
because you need actual players. look at whats happening in detroit and what happened in edmonton. completely tanking isnt going to make young players develop as well.

pageau is a great player to have around to play tougher minutes and be a veteran for their rebuilding team. if they arent getting a good enough return, miswell keep him

Yup.. they gotta keep him.. honestly what good is another possible 1st and or prospect for the Sens... they need Pageau around.. he is perfect to have.

I mean that is obviously if Pageau is reasonable with him demands.. heck maybe he thinks he can demand a massive insane amount seeing that he sees others getting massive contracts... then obviously Sens would have to consider a trade

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
because you need actual players. look at whats happening in detroit and what happened in edmonton. completely tanking isnt going to make young players develop as well.

pageau is a great player to have around to play tougher minutes and be a veteran for their rebuilding team. if they arent getting a good enough return, miswell keep him

Usually they start contracts talks in order to agree to and then sign a contract.

Wow, that's new to me Overtimed...

They can get a 1st for him with some luck. 24 goals, 40-point already and the team is going nowhere. If he really likes Ottawa he can sign during the summer...

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Lol, typical Ottawa. Let's start negotiating with....4 days to the deadline.

What were we doing the other 7 months we could have signed him? Who knows.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Lol, typical Ottawa. Let's start negotiating with....4 days to the deadline.

What were we doing the other 7 months we could have signed him? Who knows.

I think the answer to that is, what if Brown and White didn’t suck this year?

The Sens took the wait and see approach, hopefully if they want to keep him, they can get a deal done.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I think the answer to that is, what if Brown and White didn’t suck this year?

The Sens took the wait and see approach, hopefully if they want to keep him, they can get a deal done.

I mean...why not start negotiations in December? I feel like they treat this like a game - how long can we go until we suddenly get frantic and try to hammer it out! It's exciting, until it doesnt work, which is quite often.

But yes, I agree for the first few months they wanted to see if Pageau had rehabbed properly and was gonna get back to himself and they wanted to test Brown etc.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I mean...why not start negotiations in December? I feel like they treat this like a game - how long can we go until we suddenly get frantic and try to hammer it out! It's exciting, until it doesnt work, which is quite often.

But yes, I agree for the first few months they wanted to see if Pageau had rehabbed properly and was gonna get back to himself and they wanted to test Brown etc.
They don't really want to sign him. It's just to try to increase the return. It's obvious.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
They don't really want to sign him. It's just to try to increase the return. It's obvious.

Maybe. I have to admit, opening up negotiations 4 days before the deadline is pretty suspicious.

On the other hand, if they've only got 2nd round pick and fringe prospect they might try harder to sign him now.

Reactions: Darcy Loewen

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Maybe. I have to admit, opening up negotiations 4 days before the deadline is pretty suspicious.

On the other hand, if they've only got 2nd round pick and fringe prospect they might try harder to sign him now.

yeah, it’s possible they misread the market and figured they would get more. Maybe the offers are underwhelming and they are trying to sign him instead.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Both Dreger and Garrioch have said that the Sens are willing to keep Pageau past the deadline even if they don't have an extension in place.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Both Dreger and Garrioch have said that the Sens are willing to keep Pageau past the deadline even if they don't have an extension in place.

Would be incredibly stupid, but right in line with what people should expect of Sens management.

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
1. Negotiate contract extension
2. Identify Pageau's preferred team for a playoff run
3. Trade Pageau to preferred team for reduced price (doing right by him)
4. Re-sign on July 1st

Hockeyplayer99

Jul 31, 2005
yeah, but was that close to the deadline? Duchene got traded mid game too, but that was a game in early November. This time of year you see more guys sit out just to be safe.

Only the Rangers play guys they are trading to the last day. Not the smartest GMs here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad