TSN: Sens acquire Josh Brown from FLA for 4th Rd pick

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Tierney isn’t getting 5 million. Brown will get more than him

I'm curious why you think both of those things

As fans, we let bias work its way into our thoughts

Lists like the ones posted typically have less bias in them.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Well what put the team in that position?... It was the roster management and culture. Anyway I am glad they are where they are in the rebuild and like I said I hope Dorion just sticks to what he is good at, I believe most sens fans agree with that.

I'd say what put them there was a smaller core all hitting ufa age in the same time frame and realizing we couldn't afford that...which makes it financially motivated.

And yes, I'm happy with where we are and apart from the pr/melnyk noise, hockey wise we've been doing this right and we look set up pretty good

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Does demelo want $1.9 or Boro $1.5 in Ottawa ? I suspect they want more.
Sure, maybe there is an Ottawa tax, though both guys expressed really liking playing in the city in the past, but i think your proposed double term and near double dollars estimate from the post i quoted far exceeds any added tax for playing here.

Maybe instead of 2 years its 3, instead of 1.5 its 1.6, or instead of 1.9 its 2.1. Certainly 3 to 4 years at 3.5 is outside what 3rd party publications would propose for those guys.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I will be very angry if Tierney gets over 4m. I’d rather cut him loose for nothing. He’s a very underwhelming player.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Idk Tierney is a center and put up more pts. I prefer Brown but Tierney imo has better leverage.

I think the salary quoted and the consensus view points to an inherent bias....a point I've made before

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Idk Tierney is a center and put up more pts. I prefer Brown but Tierney imo has better leverage.

I have talked a lot about it since 2019, but Tierney should have been traded while his value was at its highest and while he was still a controlled asset. The offseason after his 48 pts season was the ideal moment... I mean, we had to deal with the departures of guys like Karlsson and Stone. I think we could have survived the departure of Chris Tierney.

Brown is the guy we should sign long term. If we could get him like 5-6 years at 4.0 that's a great deal IMO. Committing to Tierney is not what the Sens should do. He's an ok player but after this draft and in the pipeline, we will have a great center line where there will be no spots for him in the near future.

Dude not everything is about White

I don't know about that... White is the combination of all primary colors. It is the only Ternary pure color.

'Nugh said

Reactions: Viletho

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think the salary quoted and the consensus view points to an inherent bias....a point I've made before
People here don't like the way Tierney played but liked the way other players involved in that trade play

You'll need to make better case imo to establish causation, but i suppose I've made that point before too.

Reactions: Gesus

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don’t mind Tierney at all, I just think brown is more important as he plays every role, put up more points, and plays a harder game. Tierney is only a better passer
Brown's effort level, physicality and intensity really separates him from Tierney. Brown is an intense physical all out try hard type and Tierney plays that soft quiet game with some pucks skills and vision but no shot. His pk ability can be pretty easily replaced.

Tierney is a stop gap 2/3c 11g-40p tweener whereas Brown feels like he could hold a role going forward as long as he's not too expensive and could be a valuable 20 goal guy for a bit and the team desperately needs that more than what tierney brings, despite the positions they play.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
People here don't like the way Tierney played but liked the way other players involved in that trade play

You'll need to make better case imo to establish causation, but i suppose I've made that point before too.

there's a disconnect between his perceived value here and that salary list...the reasons for that disconnect are somewhat limited

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Sure, maybe there is an Ottawa tax, though both guys expressed really liking playing in the city in the past, but i think your proposed double term and near double dollars estimate from the post i quoted far exceeds any added tax for playing here.

Maybe instead of 2 years its 3, instead of 1.5 its 1.6, or instead of 1.9 its 2.1. Certainly 3 to 4 years at 3.5 is outside what 3rd party publications would propose for those guys.

Sorry, I was asking what evidence you had that they would take that in Ottawa .

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Its not that Tierney needs to be fired off to the sun for no reason or for nothing, but he is not a core player and is going to be paid at his absolute max value for his career because of the timing.

There is no reason to trip over themselves to give him any sort of term or pay market value in a time of a flat cap. Squeeze him to a short term lower value contract like they usually do or say good luck getting that elsewhere, we'll find you a new home. If he were on the open market this year, that 5 million with term would not be available to him from other teams either, at least I'd be shocked if it were.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
there's a disconnect between his perceived value here and that salary list...the reasons for that disconnect are somewhat limited
There was a disconnect between what people thought ceci was worth and what third party sources thought he'd get too. People don't have a disconnect between what DeMelo will get and what 3rd party sources think he will (unless you count Sweatred thinking he'll get a lot more).

People find whipping boys on their own team all the time and end up having a distorted perception of value. Not saying it can't be because of him being a part of the trade, and in some cases it very well may be, but i think the jump to the conclusion it is in most cases or at a general level because of that is very much on shaky grounds.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sorry, I was asking what evidence you had that they would take that in Ottawa .
You seem to be mixing up how claims work. The burden of proof is on the person making the claim. You claimed they would want more than what 3rd party sources think they will get, you can provide evidence should any exist. Asking for me to provide the absence of evidence to support your claim is a fallacious argument.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Goal posts moved and still trying to blow that nothing event into something big eh.

Conversation got caught on camera and that's the only difference.

Totally, nothing at all....Well it’s weird the players didn’t treat it as nothing after they were caught.
Anyway your free to go fill a team with back stabbing disrespectful A-holes that treat the boss like a pile of dirt because that always works out so well in a work environment.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
You seem to be mixing up how claims work. The burden of proof is on the person making the claim. You claimed they would want more than what 3rd party sources think they will get, you can provide evidence should any exist. Asking for me to provide the absence of evidence to support your claim is a fallacious argument.

Ok- simply put I think your suggestion is ridiculous. No chance they sign here for what you are offering (now). Discrediting the Brown acquisition because you think Boro would take $1.2 insanely misguided.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ok- simply put I think your suggestion is ridiculous. No chance they sign here for what you are offering (now).

So Boro, who had been happy to sign several deals here, grew up here and has tons of ties to the city, is going to demand a significantly more lucrative deal here than what 3rd parties think he will get on an open market?

I mean, i can buy into that if its because of the hypothetical scenario where we already told him to pound salt and are now circling back, but if we wanted to sign him back in March for example, you think we'd have to pay a premium that exceeds the tax gap?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad