Post-Game Talk: Sens _____ 4 - 0 vs Flames

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Didn't they mention in the broadcast today that the Sens have up to 15 regulars out now with injury or Covid protocal? Has that ever happened to a team before to be missing 15 of 20/23 regulars?

I doubt it, League needs to give us this week off, to nip this in the bud.
Season ticket friend I used to have tickets with, said he feels like phoning team, for half his money back on the last few games, with the lineup we iced. But realizes nothing would happen.

Reactions: aragorn

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I feel like I remember reading somewhere that Darryl Sutter has never kissed the post season as a coach.

he did in LA but also won 2 Cups so that’s okay.

he seems to have a 3-5 year shelf life but for those coaching years his teams always perform. He’s never missed the playoffs in his first full season as a coach and that looks to continue in Calgary.

wouldn’t want to play the Flames in the playoffs - if Flames and Edmonton play I’ll watch every minute of that series

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
The result really sucks, but you have to expect it. They didn't even get 24 hours in between games on this one. Shame on the NHL for even allowing this weekend schedule to go forward.

Last season they postponed some games when the Sabres had 9 players in COVID protocol.

It's also incredibly stupid on the league's part to have a team playing less than 24 hours after their last game started against a team that didn't play the day before.

assennayo

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
he did in LA but also won 2 Cups so that’s okay.

he seems to have a 3-5 year shelf life but for those coaching years his teams always perform. He’s never missed the playoffs in his first full season as a coach and that looks to continue in Calgary.

wouldn’t want to play the Flames in the playoffs - if Flames and Edmonton play I’ll watch every minute of that series

Ah, it seems I was ill-informed. I’d thought he’d missed in LA when I wrote that but I couldn’t remember if he was coach or GM.

Not sure what you mean, he won 2 cups in LA.

That was a typo, I meant missed.

Although, I won’t edit my original post. I’ll take a kiss over a miss every time.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Brady looks slow, like he's skating in deep sand. I know he's not a speedster, but...maybe some skating lessons from whoever trained Mark Stone or Sokolov?!

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Darrly Sutter has the Flames playing the way DJ wants the Sens to play. They are big, tough, have some skill & are getting decent goaltending, they are built for the playoffs.

Reactions: Yak

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I was at the game. Some quick notes (not that you can't see the same thing on tv lol):

- place looked half empty (or half full depending on your outlook on life), even though when booking tickets it seemed there wasn't much to pick from. Upshot is that getting out of the place after the game was quick.

- Lion King cam has replaced the kiss cam! Hold your baby up for the cam (or your can of beer or slice of pizza as some did) .

- Lassi was solid. He also ran the #2 PP.

- but the problem, even with the up-and-coming D like Lassi and JBD is that they're not exactly puck-handlers who can help with transition or with keeping the puck in the offensive zone. So while we looked solid defensively, we couldn't sustain O-zone presence much unless we had Chabot there. Sanderson and Brannstrom should/will really help with this.

- Forsberg allowed two soft goals. You could hear the collective groan in the stands.

- I love Ennis' hustle.

- Sokolov just hasn't convinced me yet. He's not using his size or his shot. He's late on plays, so maybe that's why.

- Zub.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Darrly Sutter has the Flames playing the way DJ wants the Sens to play. They are big, tough, have some skill & are getting decent goaltending, they are built for the playoffs.
They didn’t look all that great yesterday lol.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

It's funny, because last season it was the other way around. We were having our way with the Flames, and they were talking about how Brady and DJ had the Sens playing the right way.

It's almost like there are ebbs and flows to a season. Especially when you're missing two thirds of your lineup while playing the 2nd game in less than 24hrs.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They didn’t look all that great yesterday lol.
Are you saying the team that won 4-0 didn't look all that great yesterday? The team that went from missing the playoffs last yr & are in third place this yr? That team?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Guys tried their hardest but they were missing a lot and played yesterday.

The only interesting part of the game was looking for the young players. Focused on the defencemen mostly. I like Sokolovs effort but a couple of bad penalties.

Our younger Ds Thompson in particular looked very good. I was impressed by Sokolov's game as he seemed to be skating faster and had a few good hits, not enough BIG hits for me though. :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Add the Canucks to the Tank A Thon! They are trying to get their coach and GM fired. Fans are tripping hardcore on HF and Twitter.

Maybe they got Center and Defensemen we could use. They need draft picks really bad. Someone text Dorion to wake up.
Let him sleep; we don't need anymore Fxxxxxx.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
From a tank perspective it means we are on target for a top 4 pick and maybe even a top 2 lottery pick.
Still lots of hockey to go & remember last yr when we thought they were going to end up as a lottery pick & they started winning near the end of the season? IMO that could easily happen again.

Regardless, I think they should get a real good player from the next draft & if they can get a few more decent picks from trading some of their UFAs with some value, they could turn some of their assets into another 1st rd pick. They could also add some players who may not be in their future plans like maybe Brannstrom & White to a package at the draft for a higher pick or to move up. They will have plenty of options if they can find the right trading partners to add 2 or 3 more good prospects.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Still lots of hockey to go & remember last yr when we thought they were going to end up as a lottery pick & they started winning near the end of the season? IMO that could easily happen again.

Regardless, I think they should get a real good player from the next draft & if they can get a few more decent picks from trading some of their UFAs with some value, they could turn some of their assets into another 1st rd pick. They could also add some players who may not be in their future plans like maybe Brannstrom & White to a package at the draft for a higher pick or to move up. They will have plenty of options if they can find the right trading partners to add 2 or 3 more good prospects.

Yes it is still early but the Senators are digging a hole for themselves and the playoffs look virtually impossible now.

Hope fully we can get a second first round draft pick for the 2022 draft by trading away our old vets and failing prospects like Brannstrom and White at the TDL; however, I doubt we will do better than a 3rd round draft pick which is not worth much based on data I have seen.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yes it is still early but the Senators are digging a hole for themselves and the playoffs look virtually impossible now.

Hope fully we can get a second first round draft pick for the 2022 draft by trading away our old vets and failing prospects like Brannstrom and White at the TDL. However, I doubt we will do better than a 3rd round draft pick which is not worth much based on data I have seen.

Agreed, although two 3rds equal a 2nd & two 2nds equal a 1st. They have 6 picks in the first 3 rds now & should add at least a couple more if they are able to move Tierny, Sanford, Holden, Forsberg & maybe Ennis could have some value. Is it out of the question to get a better pick if they trade two guys in one trade to some team? Didn't Ottawa do that with Carolina once, they got a foreward & a defenceman in one trade at the deadline?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Agreed, although two 3rds equal a 2nd & two 2nds equal a 1st. They have 6 picks in the first 3 rds now & should add at least a couple more if they are able to move Tierny, Sanford, Holden, Forsberg & maybe Ennis could have some value. Is it out of the question to get a better pick if they trade two guys in one trade to some team? Didn't Ottawa do that with Carolina once, they got a foreward & a defenceman in one trade at the deadline?

We need higher end talent and that usually is attainable by getting a top 5 pick. Otherwise it is a much lower probability.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
We need higher end talent and that usually is attainable by getting a top 5 pick. Otherwise it is a much lower probability.

Not just lower probability but longer timeline if it hits. Look at guys like Stone and maybe Batherson. Huge hits in the 6th and 4th rounds, but they took four years to start making that impact where you would hope a top 5 pick can do it in a shorter time.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad