Post-Game Talk: Sens 3 - Jets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Either did Maurice - seems to be a trend with coaches that can't motivate - I guess.
Maurice was a bad fit here from the beginning in my opinion. He's in a situation now where he has the right players to play his game and that's great, but here he tried to ham fist a style of game that didn't work with the team he was coaching and refused to waver from it. He punished players that were very effective in what they were doing and rewarded players that weren't, but were playing the game he wanted to see. I've mentioned it plenty of times but it was more obvious than ever when he said that he didn't need to coach Connor, Scheifele, and Wheeler, despite the fact that they were consistently outplayed and outchanced by their competition.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
We need to steal Torts from Philly. I doubt he’d put up with Connor’s schtick.
Tonight game he wasn't as big of a liability in his own end. But the top line didn't do shit on offense.... This is the Sens.

Reactions: hn777

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
The mood here would be much different if Monahan had converted on the Ehlers' gift. I'm not blaming Monahan, he had a great game and flubs happen to everyone, but just wanted to point out how close we were to not being all doom and gloom.
Would it be though? Scrambling to tie it up late against the hapless Ottawa team is not really reason to be cheerful I would think. Especially considering how they have played the last 6 games, hell, the last half the season. One goal to tie up a game late that shouldn't have been close to begin with is not a reason to be happy. We are supposed to be Cup contender and you’re talking about being happy about tying the Senators? C’mon.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
We need to steal Torts from Philly. I doubt he’d put up with Connor’s schtick.
f*** that. In my opinion. Never got the Torts love.

Would it be though? Scrambling to tie it up late against the hapless Ottawa team is not really reason to be cheerful I would think. Especially considering how they have played the last 6 games, hell, the last half the season. One goal to tie up a game late that shouldn't have been close to begin with is not a reason to be happy. We are supposed to be Cup contender and you’re talking about being happy about tying the Senators? C’mon.
You don't think that if we had won the mood would be different here? Or even gotten a point?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
What was wrong with the motivation when they were winning?
If I hear you right, the problem is they don't listen? So get another coach - again?
What happened LY when bones was "motivating" via tough love? Remember when he pushed?
I remember the team imploding and being called out after getting humiliated in the playoffs.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
This team goes from thar effort last game to this one...

We ate going nowhere unless everyone coaching down wakes up and actually shows they want to win. We have blown any chance at home ice advantage and now are holding onto third place by a thread.

What is with this team and imploding the back half of the season. Five of six seasons since 2018 we have stunk the second half of the year. What the heck is going on, is the teams conditioning not good enough, is our usage leaving our players gassed down the stretch? I don't know but this pattern is concerning and doesn't bold well for the playoffs.

But for some good news, we got a pp goal so the extension to Lauer is likely in the mail.
I am hopeful that maybe Arniel will forgo the promotion if Bones steps down and we can promote Lauer to head coach. Might be the only way to get him off the PP.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
f*** that. In my opinion. Never got the Torts love.

You don't think that if we had won the mood would be different here? Or even gotten a point?
No I dont. Like I said we were supposed to be Cup contenders. We should have won this game by a few. Tying it up late would have changed nothing in my mind. They played like shit, and that wouldn’t have changed one bit with a late goal

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Maurice was a bad fit here from the beginning in my opinion. He's in a situation now where he has the right players to play his game and that's great, but here he tried to ham fist a style of game that didn't work with the team he was coaching and refused to waver from it. He punished players that were very effective in what they were going and rewarding players that weren't, but were playing the game he wanted to see. I've mentioned it plenty of times but it was more obvious than ever when he said that he didn't need to coach Connor, Scheifele, and Wheeler, despite the fact that they were consistently outplayed and outchanced by their competition.
Maurice tried to get the players to play a certain way (sound familiar) -
The next coach will probably do the same - hopefully some day they find a coach that brings that magic formula where all the fans are happy with his decisions and they win a bunch of games.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't see how it's coaching - the team is being coached by the same guy that had them playing a certain way and winning a lot of games in the first half.
So what's really changed? I'd assume the message is the same.

While he gets credit for the good 5 on 5 play the first half, he also gets criticism for the craptastic special teams we've run all year.

It's been a mixed bag coaching wise and now nothing is going right.

As for why things are bad now, I stand by my thoughts that we should have spread the ice much more evenly the first half. It looks like some players once again are gassed. No idea why LB hasn't played more games as well as Helle looks tired as well. Does this team not have a sports science department to properly assess the proper amount of minutes for optimal performance? It seems we still have a loyalty based we will let the top players decide how much they play and its costing us.

That and some players can flaunt the scheme with zero repricussions. I can't imagine that is playing out that well in the room.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
At least our power play is consistent.

Why don't the Winnipeg head coaches get to pick their own assistants?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Maurice tried to get the players to play a certain way (sound familiar) -
The next coach will probably do the same - hopefully some day they find a coach that brings that magic formula where all the fans are happy with his decisions and they win a bunch of game.
That's fine. Like I said, he's in a situation that works for him now, but telling Ehlers to play a vanilla game makes him worse. Telling Scheifele, Wheeler, and Connor that they're doing great because they're playing his game despite getting caved in when they're on the ice and then playing them 20+ minutes a game doesn't help the team. Why would they change anything they're doing when the coach is telling them that everything they're doing is perfect even though they're regularly getting dominated? He liked the way they were playing, he wanted to emphasize that that's what he wanted to see from his players, but it wasn't effective because despite the fact that they were playing the game he wanted to see, they were a complete shitshow.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
4th line had an xGF of 0.1, Namestnikov and Barron with less than 7 minutes. 2nd line showed up, then the line changes in the 3rd balanced things out a bit.

Ehlers was on a mission, Toffoli and Monahan played smart hockey, 1st line was lost most of the game.

Maybe try Cole, Name and Iafallo. They dominated as our second line. Juat sub optimal lineup decisions.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Joshua looks spent with all the minutes lately made some very uncharacteristic mistakes tonight. Preds are played unreal but I don't think they have the juice to catch us and really 3rd / WC what's the diff. Might be time to manage the playing time and or sitting some players. Oh and LB should get half of the upcoming games

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Season is an utter failure. So much promise and then the last 1/3 Season collapse. Again.

A lot of us thought the team should have been blown up before Chevy signed Scheifele and Helly and the PLD trade.

Clearly this leadership group can't cut it.

Huge changes need to be made in the off Season.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
While he gets credit for the good 5 on 5 play the first half, he also gets criticism for the craptastic special teams we've run all year.

It's been a mixed bag coaching wise and now nothing is going right.

As for why things are bad now, I stand by my thoughts that we should have spread the ice much more evenly the first half. It looks like some players once again are gassed. No idea why LB hasn't played more games as well as Helle looks tired as well. Does this team not have a sports science department to properly assess the proper amount of minutes for optimal performance? It seems we still have a loyalty based we will let the top players decide how much they play and its costing us.

That and some players can flaunt the scheme with zero repricussions. I can't imagine that is playing out that well in the room.
I guess this team is just waiting for the right coach.
I stand by my thoughts that we had a winning formula but stopped using it.
I also get that the PP is a mess and the players are tired (hockey's hard)-
But, a new coach will come along and do all the things that you suggest and we'll be fine.

Reactions: Jets 31

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Looked like right from the beginning of the game the Jets were playing the game not to lose, they let the Sens get behind their D early on, fought back to tie it but once again a stupid play leads to a penalty and the pk tosses this one into the L column.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Either did Maurice - seems to be a trend with coaches that can't motivate - I guess.

That's fine. Like I said, he's in a situation that works for him now, but telling Ehlers to play a vanilla game makes him worse. Telling Scheifele, Wheeler, and Connor that they're doing great because they're playing his game despite getting caved in when they're on the ice and then playing them 20+ minutes a game doesn't help the team. Why would they change anything they're doing when the coach is telling them that everything they're doing is perfect even though they're regularly getting dominated? He liked the way they were playing, he wanted to emphasize that that's what he wanted to see from his players, but it wasn't effective because despite the fact that they were playing the game he wanted to see, they were a complete shitshow.

Maurice was great here the first 5 years and he was successful in large part because he was instructed to let the kids play. He stated that he essentially allowed them to do what they wanted offensively.

It really wasn't until we became a contender in 2019 that we started seeing him try to mold Laine into a PF and try to gwt Fly to play in straight lines.

I think perhaps that should actually say something about how we should play offensively. The one year we build a skill based attack in 17-18 with great defense and we go on a deep run.

We've tried the all out low event systems with basic offense and and gone nowhere since.

We need a coach to come in and instill a Bones type defense with 2018 style offense.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I don't think Bones is happy with how the players are playing - including the top line.
He also realizes he needs more than a top line - so he tried to balance things a bit.
But if the players lose interest in playing the way they were, it doesn't matter.
I don't know what he coach is telling them - you've made a few assumptions and you might be right.
What I do know is that he wants to them to be defensively responsible - and that has slipped and IMO, is the biggest issue that derailed what they had going. Right now, I can't see beyond that because that is at the root of it - and all the little shifts in line make up or player preference don't mean a whole lot if you can't stick to the game plan - IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad