News Article: Sens 25 top players (25th anniversary edition)

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
I'm sure there will be some of your favourite players missed, but what can you do ???

No Stone or Hoffman yet!

http://www.sens25.com/anniversaryteam/

picture.php

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Way too skewed to the "Good old days". You're gonna tell me Chris Kelly or Antoine Vermette had a more impactful run on the Senators than Mark Stone who has played Selke level hockey while being either or very close to our top point producer at forward over the last three years?

Vermette had one really productive season in Ottawa. His 05-07 numbers are skewed because guys were scoring 120 points, so 39 points back then is bottom 6 production.

You're gonna tell me Chris Kelly is a bigger deal than Mike Hoffman who has been the Sens top goal scorer for 3 years?

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Way too skewed to the "Good old days". You're gonna tell me Chris Kelly or Antoine Vermette had a more impactful run on the Senators than Mark Stone who has played Selke level hockey while being either or very close to our top point producer at forward over the last three years?

Vermette had one really productive season in Ottawa. His 05-07 numbers are skewed because guys were scoring 120 points, so 39 points back then is bottom 6 production.

You're gonna tell me Chris Kelly is a bigger deal than Mike Hoffman who has been the Sens top goal scorer for 3 years?

I agree there is a history bias here. But thats true all throughout hockey with these sort of things for the most part.
All the players listed were/are great players in the sens organization.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Stone has played 2 seasons for us.

He'll easily be top 5 if he plays his career with us... but for now he's not on the list.

It also seems to be a fan vote so guys who were with us in the "glory" days of being a contender will likely rate higher (Neil, Fisher, Vermette, Kelly)

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
This list is brutal.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the list.

So it's not "best players to play for sens" but "longest serving senators"?

Or else we'd see Hasek, straka,demitra,bondra, gonchar etc if it was best players to put on a sens jersey.

If it was best players to play a long time on the sens guys like mceachern and white and stone with top line and 60+ point seasons would make it over Neil.

Neil was never a top 10 player for us in one year, so the fact he's in the top 25 all time is laughable.

Overall terrible list because I can't figure out what they're basing it on

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Stone has played 2 seasons for us.

He'll easily be top 5 if he plays his career with us... but for now he's not on the list.

It also seems to be a fan vote so guys who were with us in the "glory" days of being a contender will likely rate higher (Neil, Fisher, Vermette, Kelly)

So being a 4th liner for several years is more impactful than being a first liner for a few years? I don't think so. Not in a "greatest xx" list.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
"to celebrate the Ottawa Senators 25th anniversary, the duty of appointing the #Sens25 team was handed to the fans. Leading up to #Sens25, fans voted to determine the franchise team that consists of 12 forwards, six defencemen and two goaltenders. Voting concluded at the end of December 2016."

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Its worth remembering a guy like Vermette was behind some very good players. His production could have been much higher had he been a first liner or even a regular 2nd liner. First year in columbus as a top liner he scored 27 goals and 65 points

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Maybe the list is money earned and that's why Neil and Phillips are so high up. Because we kept giving them multi million contracts after their prime so they could make this list.

I know people will probably jump on me for the Phillips comment because he's been with us for long...But that being said, he's never been a top defenseman for us.

Back in the day we'd swap him for a forward. And then after that we still gave more ice time to guys like duchesne, kravchuk, redden, York... Even in Phillip's prime he was a #3 or #4 behind Chara, redden, and maybe volchenkov depending on your preference. And then guys like gonchar too.

He's never been one of our better defenseman yet is on the list when guys who were ahead of him in the depth chart for their total time here spanning over several seasons are nowhere to be found for the list.

I'd rather have Crosby for 5 years than Darren maccarty for 20. Yet this list would put maccarty ahead because of time played.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Do they like him or think he's a good hockey player?

Is this poll asking who's the most liked or who's the best?

If I'm building an All-Time best Sens team, Neil is on it, regardless of how good he is right now.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I don't get the Neil hate here. There are many roles on hockey teams and Chris Neil has been one of the best in the league in his role for a very very long time.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
If I'm building an All-Time best Sens team, Neil is on it, regardless of how good he is right now.

Really? "ALL-TIME BEST"? I'm not misunderstanding those words. Best to ever play with the sens?

Heatley-Spezza-alfredsson
Bondra-Yashin-Kovalev
Hossa-demitra-Stone
Hoffman-straka-havlat

Just missed the cut: turris, bonk, stillman, McEachern, Smolinski, Prospal, white, foligno, vermette, fisher, Juneau, arvedson, schaefer, kelly, michalek, macarthur

Karlsson-chara
redden-gonchar
Duschesne-Phaneuf

Just missed the cut: Phillips, volchenkov, Kuba, Methot, mciver, york, karvchuk

Hasek
Barrasso

Just missed the cut: Tuggnutt, rhodes, lalime, anderson

That would be my opinion of the "best all time roster collected of guys who played for the sens"

Then if you care about time with the sens, you can take out hasek and barrasso and replace them with anderson and lalime.
Take out no one on D because they all played the better part of multiple seasons. Maybe phaneuf for phillips but not for long once phaneuf plays more as hes the higher ranking defenseman all time)
Take out bondra, demitra, straka and replace them with 3 of turris,bonk, smolinski, stillman, prospal or mceachern.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Agreed with JBeck. It should be a measure of accumulation of performance over the years, some sort of career WAR if you will. This will help eliminate superstars who didn't play long enough with the Sens (Hasek), and players who just benefited from longevity with the team (Phillips, Kelly). In that case, these are some of the obvious ones in my book:

Alfie, Yashin, Karlsson, Spezza, Redden, Chara, Stone, Hossa, Lalime, Anderson, Heatley, Bonk, Turris, Methot, Havlat, Fisher.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
That's fine if you would build ur team that way, but mine would surely have prime Neil as the 4th line RW.

Also you don't seem to be taking in consideration the level the players had with Ottawa, i.e Bondra, Kovalev, Demitra, etc.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
25 top patches

Perhaps we should have a top 25 patches comp. :laugh:

Missing from the list is some old original patches (Worlds Champions), etc.. and this years 25th Anny patch!

picture.php

Last edited:

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Maybe the list is money earned and that's why Neil and Phillips are so high up. Because we kept giving them multi million contracts after their prime so they could make this list.

I know people will probably jump on me for the Phillips comment because he's been with us for long...But that being said, he's never been a top defenseman for us.

Back in the day we'd swap him for a forward. And then after that we still gave more ice time to guys like duchesne, kravchuk, redden, York... Even in Phillip's prime he was a #3 or #4 behind Chara, redden, and maybe volchenkov depending on your preference. And then guys like gonchar too.

He's never been one of our better defenseman yet is on the list when guys who were ahead of him in the depth chart for their total time here spanning over several seasons are nowhere to be found for the list.

I'd rather have Crosby for 5 years than Darren maccarty for 20. Yet this list would put maccarty ahead because of time played.

Phillips/Volchenkov was straight up our #1 pairing when we went to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Phillips is undoubtably one of the top 6 defencemen in franchise history. There is no doubt or argument.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad