Prospect Info: Sens 2016 Development Camp: June 28th - July 4th

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I like this a lot. Would've been very easy for him to slack off, given last season. The fact that he's still putting in the work and busting his ass has me really excited for this guy.

Pretty sure someone said on the radio Paul was given an option not to come to the camp but he insisted on attending. Good for him.

lafite

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
This is what Randy Lee said about Chabot after the scrimmage on Saturday

And now after the 3-on-3 tournament Lee said he was expecting more out of Chabot.

Maybe the Sens are realizing that Chabot may be a little farther off from making the team than initially anticipated. So maybe they end up adding a solid depth d man via free agency or trade.

I wouldn't worry too much about Lee's comments. Any jr. age player, and d-men in particular, have to knock it out of the park before they make the big team. Doesn't mean he won't be very good in a year or two.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
I wouldn't worry too much about Lee's comments. Any jr. age player, and d-men in particular, have to knock it out of the park before they make the big team. Doesn't mean he won't be very good in a year or two.

They are probably trying to motivate him as well. One potential weakness to Chabot's game, as witnessed at the WJHC, is that he tends to be timid. I say "potential weakness" because it may work for him. He recovers the puck and passes it off very quickly, which makes him an amazing transitional defenceman. That being said, this style of play does not project him becoming a dominant, game-changing defenceman, which it really looks he could be with the skills he has.

At the WJHC, I wanted him to carry the puck into the O-zone, but he almost never did. He has the skill and mind to be more assertive.

lafite

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
They are probably trying to motivate him as well. One potential weakness to Chabot's game, as witnessed at the WJHC, is that he tends to be timid. I say "potential weakness" because it may work for him. He recovers the puck and passes it off very quickly, which makes him an amazing transitional defenceman. That being said, this style of play does not project him becoming a dominant, game-changing defenceman, which it really looks he could be with the skills he has.

At the WJHC, I wanted him to carry the puck into the O-zone, but he almost never did. He has the skill and mind to be more assertive.

His quick transition game at the worlds reminded me a bit of Redden, although like you say, he is content just to get the puck moving the other way. If that is all he has, it is something the Sens could use, considering the clown show in their own end these last few years. But I would be very surprised if they keep him up this year. Maybe a few games at the beginning, but that would be it. You can't rush a d-man, right Luke Schenn?

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Par for the course with Randy Lee.

Went out of his way to talk up Babcock the other day, and in years past, he's consistently (over)praised grittier players at these camps like Borowiecki, Lazar, McCormick, etc. Guy certainly has a type.

He said Gendron skates like Coffey.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
2016 Development Camp

Day 5 - The Scrimmage - Day 4 was Canada Day & the prospects have the day off to enjoy Canada Day in Ottawa, they sometimes do things as a group like go golfing or swimming at someone's cottage nearby.

- the scrimmage was between the red team against the white team. It was two 20 minute periods with continuous time, any penalties called were turned into penalty shots for the excitement of the fans & we had a couple at least.

- the scrimmage was a spirited affair although not a whole lot of excellent plays or individual goals. On one play Saar streaked in from the left side crashing the net & taking the defenceman & goalie with him wiping out the net but no goal. On another play Jaros sent someone into the boards head first & Rupert I believe came in at full speed & almost ran Jaros into the boards as well. Everyone turned out to be fine after the hit but it looked dangerous at the time.

- the best line by far was Ahl, Paul & Gagne who dominated almost every shift they were on out there. Not sure why Smitty 26 didn't think so but it was a big line with speed & skill & were on & responsible for 3 goals I believe. Paul IMO has been the best prospect at this camp & has shown a real maturity in his game & had at least 2 assists in the scrimmage.

- Nurmi also had a good scrimmage scoring two goals one on a penalty shot however like some of the other prospects needs to get stronger & better. Dahlen looked pretty good today too, he looks shifty & skates quite well. Next to Paul & Chabot, Perron looks to be the most polished prospect in camp, he made two nice deke moves & scored on one & should have had at least another goal. Chabot is a very smooth skater & just looks more polished than most of the prospects & maybe because of that he took a few chances that caught him up ice. As someone said he is a lot like Redden in moving the puck out quickly & smartly but he is also somewhat frail looking & IMO still needs to gain some much needed muscle to his thin frame. I think the team is expecting more from him, he should be dominating.

- for the first three days I thought Gustafsson looked really good in all of the drills that we were watching but in a scrimmage we hardly noticed him. Just goes to show you the difference between a hockey player in games & in practise. He still played all right but wasn't a standout as I thought he might be with his package of size & skill. He like others need to be more determined in their play, more intensity.

- Logan Brown for me looks quite regular, since he is only 18 yrs old in his first pro camp I wasn't expecting much. He is a decent puck handler with good vision & is a good passer but unlike others I think he is 3 to 5 yrs away although his size & draft position could get him there sooner. He was okay in the scrimmage & almost had a goal on a couple of plays but looked a bit out of sync. I don't think he is quite as good as others are projecting & IMO his skating needs more work, especially his first step or acceleration or push off step.

- the best defence pairing at camp is the Englund & Jaros pair, Englund looks like the prototypical defensive defenceman but has more hockey sense. Jaros continues to impress with his skating, his skills which have improved considerably since last yr & his toughness. I would really like to see this pair in Bingo but I think Jaros is going back to Sweden to play. Too bad, they are pretty good together, about the same size, height & width, about the same skill set, one being slightly better offensively while the other is slightly better defensively & both have good hockey sense & are tough. Englund IMO seems to have a slightly higher hockey IQ.

- Ottawa has a lot of big prospects but IMO the team as a whole, especially the big forwards, are too soft. Ahl, Gagne, Nurmi. Brown & others are just not that physical, unfortunately like Chiasson & don't hit much. They don't often finish their checks & more times than not fly by or push them softly into the boards & they don't play with any kind of edge or nastiness to their game. The one guy that does, Dunn over does it & is often penalized, just can't find a happy medium. Paul is probably the toughest guy at this camp at forward which is good for him but the group doesn't bode well for the organization. Paul at the least finishes his checks, hits hard & generally works hard on every shift but even he with his size doesn't play with any kind of nastiness or edge.

- this obviously isn't the best camp I have attended nor the worse but on a scale to 10, I rank it a 6. I expected Paul to dominate which he did but I also expected a lot more from Chabot & Brown & unfortunately White missed his 2nd camp in a row. Perron was impressive & I expect they have a gem in him & Dahlen looks very skilled but other than that not much else. O'Connor allowed too many goals including weak goals than he should have had & Hogberg looked like the better of the two & best of the four but not great.

sidebar - again today I noticed in another rink & not with the prospects but with kids practising drills & skills that there was a figure skater teaching the kids balance & skating on one leg. It seems figure skating coaches are being brought in more & more to teach & improve skating skills which seems like a very good idea. Whatever works right.

I was unable to make the 3 on3 today, instead I got to drag 3 kids through 4 floors of the Museum of Nature which was exhausting. Time for a nap, enjoy your day everyone.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Day 5 - The Scrimmage - Day 4 was Canada Day & the prospects have the day off to enjoy Canada Day in Ottawa, they sometimes do things as a group like go golfing or swimming at someone's cottage nearby.

- the scrimmage was between the red team against the white team. It was two 20 minute periods with continuous time, any penalties called were turned into penalty shots for the excitement of the fans & we had a couple at least.

- the scrimmage was a spirited affair although not a whole lot of excellent plays or individual goals. On one play Saar streaked in from the left side crashing the net & taking the defenceman & goalie with him wiping out the net but no goal. On another play Jaros sent someone into the boards head first & Rupert I believe came in at full speed & almost ran Jaros into the boards as well. Everyone turned out to be fine after the hit but it looked dangerous at the time.

- the best line by far was Ahl, Paul & Gagne who dominated almost every shift they were on out there. Not sure why Smitty 26 didn't think so but it was a big line with speed & skill & were on & responsible for 3 goals I believe. Paul IMO has been the best prospect at this camp & has shown a real maturity in his game & had at least 2 assists in the scrimmage.

- Nurmi also had a good scrimmage scoring two goals one on a penalty shot however like some of the other prospects needs to get stronger & better. Dahlen looked pretty good today too, he looks shifty & skates quite well. Next to Paul & Chabot, Perron looks to be the most polished prospect in camp, he made two nice deke moves & scored on one & should have had at least another goal. Chabot is a very smooth skater & just looks more polished than most of the prospects & maybe because of that he took a few chances that caught him up ice. As someone said he is a lot like Redden in moving the puck out quickly & smartly but he is also somewhat frail looking & IMO still needs to gain some much needed muscle to his thin frame. I think the team is expecting more from him, he should be dominating.

- for the first three days I thought Gustafsson looked really good in all of the drills that we were watching but in a scrimmage we hardly noticed him. Just goes to show you the difference between a hockey player in games & in practise. He still played all right but wasn't a standout as I thought he might be with his package of size & skill. He like others need to be more determined in their play, more intensity.

- Logan Brown for me looks quite regular, since he is only 18 yrs old in his first pro camp I wasn't expecting much. He is a decent puck handler with good vision & is a good passer but unlike others I think he is 3 to 5 yrs away although his size & draft position could get him there sooner. He was okay in the scrimmage & almost had a goal on a couple of plays but looked a bit out of sync. I don't think he is quite as good as others are projecting & IMO his skating needs more work, especially his first step or acceleration or push off step.

- the best defence pairing at camp is the Englund & Jaros pair, Englund looks like the prototypical defensive defenceman but has more hockey sense. Jaros continues to impress with his skating, his skills which have improved considerably since last yr & his toughness. I would really like to see this pair in Bingo but I think Jaros is going back to Sweden to play. Too bad, they are pretty good together, about the same size, height & width, about the same skill set, one being slightly better offensively while the other is slightly better defensively & both have good hockey sense & are tough. Englund IMO seems to have a slightly higher hockey IQ.

- Ottawa has a lot of big prospects but IMO the team as a whole, especially the big forwards, are too soft. Ahl, Gagne, Nurmi. Brown & others are just not that physical, unfortunately like Chiasson & don't hit much. They don't often finish their checks & more times than not fly by or push them softly into the boards & they don't play with any kind of edge or nastiness to their game. The one guy that does, Dunn over does it & is often penalized, just can't find a happy medium. Paul is probably the toughest guy at this camp at forward which is good for him but the group doesn't bode well for the organization. Paul at the least finishes his checks, hits hard & generally works hard on every shift but even he with his size doesn't play with any kind of nastiness or edge.

- this obviously isn't the best camp I have attended nor the worse but on a scale to 10, I rank it a 6. I expected Paul to dominate which he did but I also expected a lot more from Chabot & Brown & unfortunately White missed his 2nd camp in a row. Perron was impressive & I expect they have a gem in him & Dahlen looks very skilled but other than that not much else. O'Connor allowed too many goals including weak goals than he should have had & Hogberg looked like the better of the two & best of the four but not great.

sidebar - again today I noticed in another rink & not with the prospects but with kids practising drills & skills that there was a figure skater teaching the kids balance & skating on one leg. It seems figure skating coaches are being brought in more & more to teach & improve skating skills which seems like a very good idea. Whatever works right.

I was unable to make the 3 on3 today, instead I got to drag 3 kids through 4 floors of the Museum of Nature which was exhausting. Time for a nap, enjoy your day everyone.

Thanks a lot Aragon, really helps us who have no access to the skates. Appreciate it very much.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yeah thanks Aragorn. Unfortunately I think I agree with you on the intensity/physicality levels.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
I'm almost happy to hear that Chabot has not played up to their expectations. Nothing wrong with going back to juniors and dominate. Let's not rush our prospects like we did with Lazar.

That is one big difference between Dorion and Murray.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Good for him, very much deserved, he had a great development camp & I look forward to seeing him at the rookie tournament this yr. I always like it when a guy works his ass off & puts in a very good effort is rewarded for it by the organization.

Your welcome, just my observations or my opinions & nothing more than that, take it with a grain of salt. Bonne soir toute monde .... if you don't use it, you lose it. :naughty:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm almost happy to hear that Chabot has not played up to their expectations. Nothing wrong with going back to juniors and dominate. Let's not rush our prospects like we did with Lazar.

That is one big difference between Dorion and Murray.

He's gotta believe in his ability to make game changing plays.

Karlsson always was very cocky so he just kept at it and got to where he is now. Chabot looks like he's going to need to be pushed a bit harder because all the tools are there but he's playing too safe. Having Karlsson on the roster likely changed the minds of management when it comes to two-way players: you need them but you also need your impact players to have an impact. As long as Karlsson is here and the roster built around here, we can't be a two-way team, we have to be offense first.

He'll definitely be given a few games in the NHL at this point, that will be the biggest motivator.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He's gotta believe in his ability to make game changing plays.

Karlsson always was very cocky so he just kept at it and got to where he is now. Chabot looks like he's going to need to be pushed a bit harder because all the tools are there but he's playing too safe. Having Karlsson on the roster likely changed the minds of management when it comes to two-way players: you need them but you also need your impact players to have an impact. As long as Karlsson is here and the roster built around here, we can't be a two-way team, we have to be offense first.

He'll definitely be given a few games in the NHL at this point, that will be the biggest motivator.

In the scrimmage it looked like Chabot was uninterested on some shifts & took unnecessary risks on other shifts & in the development camp never really stood out on any drills. I think he was chastised for it too but having said that he is obviously the best defenceman in camp. He is a smooth skater, very cool under pressure, excellent vision & passer, the Redden comparison is a good one in that he looks poised most of the time & moves the puck very efficiently. I do think that he needs to add more meat on his frame & IMO going back to junior might do him more good than bad at this time. The Rookie tournament could change things if he has another great tournament & training camp but at this time returning to junior & playing in the WJC would probably do him a world of good & Ottawa would be getting a much better player in a yr's time.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I'm not sure exactly how Dahlen has looked in camp, but I had him as a top 20 pick in this draft - great value getting him at 42.

I think he's very similar to Drouin and was a little underscouted. He really came on in the 2nd half of the season and I think will move up in a big way when mock draft-redo's are done a year from now.

And, although I would take him about 20th overall in 2016, I see him being the 9th best offensive forward in the draft after:

1. Matthews
2. Laine
3. Keller
4. Brown
5. Dubois
6. Puljuj
7. Nylander
8. Jost
9. Dahlen

I realize this may seem bold, but it has more to do with Dahlen's upside and less to do with the downside of any other high end guys like - Abramov, DeBrincat, Bellows, Kunin, Gauthier etc.,

Needless to say I think the Sens got amazing value with both Brown and Dahlen. But especially Dahlen given how much higher I would have taken the guy,

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
From reading others, it looked like his skills impressed. Brown as well. That's all you're looking for after they've just been drafted.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Perron impressed me the most at forward.
Jaros on D

Hogberg was really impressive.

Sens have some good looking prospects

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Perron impressed me the most at forward.
Jaros on D

Hogberg was really impressive.

Sens have some good looking prospects

Those three were really good this camp as was Paul. Unfortunately, Chabot needed a kick in the ass but we know he is very talented as well. I'm still waiting to see White who has missed the last two camps. Anyone know where Jaros has decided to play next season, I heard he is going back to Sweden, has that been confirmed anywhere?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Those three were really good this camp as was Paul. Unfortunately, Chabot needed a kick in the ass but we know he is very talented as well. I'm still waiting to see White who has missed the last two camps. Anyone know where Jaros has decided to play next season, I heard he is going back to Sweden, has that been confirmed anywhere?

I'm really excited by Jaros' progression, kid looks better and better everytime I see him play. I guess if he ends up in Sweden its not the end of the world, but I'd love to see this guy in Bingo alongside Englund. They're games are made for each other, they kind of reminded me of Phillips/Volchenkov in Dev Camp.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I asked on the prospects thread and got this....

He's already said he'll be playing for Lulea this season.

I think the plan is for him to come overseas next year, assuming he doesn't pull a Wikstrand.

It seems to me I heard that before. I do not have a more official link.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm really excited by Jaros' progression, kid looks better and better everytime I see him play. I guess if he ends up in Sweden its not the end of the world, but I'd love to see this guy in Bingo alongside Englund. They're games are made for each other, they kind of reminded me of Phillips/Volchenkov in Dev Camp.

He's a gamer for sure. He brings it. I'd love to see him stay with Englund too. Those guys are not too far away from making the big club IMO.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I'm not sure exactly how Dahlen has looked in camp, but I had him as a top 20 pick in this draft - great value getting him at 42.

I think he's very similar to Drouin and was a little underscouted. He really came on in the 2nd half of the season and I think will move up in a big way when mock draft-redo's are done a year from now.

And, although I would take him about 20th overall in 2016, I see him being the 9th best offensive forward in the draft after:

1. Matthews
2. Laine
3. Keller
4. Brown
5. Dubois
6. Puljuj
7. Nylander
8. Jost
9. Dahlen

I realize this may seem bold, but it has more to do with Dahlen's upside and less to do with the downside of any other high end guys like - Abramov, DeBrincat, Bellows, Kunin, Gauthier etc.,

Needless to say I think the Sens got amazing value with both Brown and Dahlen. But especially Dahlen given how much higher I would have taken the guy,

Finally got around to looking into Dahlen.

Leading his team as a 17/18 year old is quite remarkable.
I went through the leagues top scorers, and only 1 other player younger than 20 cracked the top 40.

Robin Kovacs (19) had 5 more points, but plays for AIK. (they led the league in goals and outscored Timara by 56)

Very interesting...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad