Prospect Info: Sens 2016 Development Camp: June 28th - July 4th

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Par for the course with Randy Lee.

Went out of his way to talk up Babcock the other day, and in years past, he's consistently (over)praised grittier players at these camps like Borowiecki, Lazar, McCormick, etc. Guy certainly has a type.

Yeah honestly. Very tough to take randy Lee seriously as an Assistant GM.

He's probably the guy the "role players" try to suck up to constantly in the gym and he just eats it all up.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Chabot didn't have an overwhelming showing, but it also wasn't underwhelming.

For a D prospect, that's not necessarily a bad thing to me.

He was by far the best skater on the ice, but he didn't get flashy and try and go end to end. Again, good and bad in that.

Who knows what the coaches told him? He could have been told to play conservatively. I do know I didn't see any goals being directly his fault.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Miles Gendron is the only player to win both the scrimmage and the 3-on-3 tourney.

All hail our new top prospect!

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Yeah honestly. Very tough to take randy Lee seriously as an Assistant GM.

He's probably the guy the "role players" try to suck up to constantly in the gym and he just eats it all up.

What is Randy Lee's background in hockey anyway? Wasn't he the strength and conditioning coach for a while? It seems unusual to go from a position like that to assistant GM.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
This is what Randy Lee said about Chabot after the scrimmage on Saturday

Thomas Chabot:

The benchmark for him is that he has to dominate. It's just not good enough for him to be a good player, he's got to dominate in every aspect because that's where we expect him to be. If he wants to challenge for a spot on our team next year, it's either Ottawa or back to Junior, he's got to dominate this level.

And now after the 3-on-3 tournament Lee said he was expecting more out of Chabot.

Maybe the Sens are realizing that Chabot may be a little farther off from making the team than initially anticipated. So maybe they end up adding a solid depth d man via free agency or trade.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
What is Randy Lee's background in hockey anyway? Wasn't he the strength and conditioning coach for a while? It seems unusual to go from a position like that to assistant GM.

He went from strength and conditioning coach, to head of player development to assistant general manager. He is the main reason why our prospects have panned out the way they have. He developed and implemented all the programs that allowed for our prospects to reach their potential.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
That's one of the biggest problems with kids. A lot of them get the idea that being drafted (especially first round) is the last piece of the puzzle. In reality, it only means you have a guaranteed invite to camp. Being drafted and getting that ELC are only steps 1 & 2. There's still a long ways to go before becoming an NHLer.

That's what I loved about one of Brown's post draft interviews. He specified being drafted was only the first step in the NHL journey (or something similar). I've heard "a step" but to hear someone call being drafted, in the first round, the first step in a journey was impressive to me.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

He's got a master's in Sports admin, and 19 years experience with a variety of roles, from Video, conditioning and development coach. He started as our Video coach to my knowledge.

I don't think he's your average strength and conditioning coach in terms of background.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Zach Saar looked really good in the 3-on-3 tournament. I wonder if the Senators give him an enter level contract. He seems like he could be developed into a solid bottom six winger.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Randy Lee was one of the first to start these dev camps in the nhl. Also it doesn't sound like Dorion does anything without Randy's input.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
He went from strength and conditioning coach, to head of player development to assistant general manager. He is the main reason why our prospects have panned out the way they have. He developed and implemented all the programs that allowed for our prospects to reach their potential.

That's what I loved about one of Brown's post draft interviews. He specified being drafted was only the first step in the NHL journey (or something similar). I've heard "a step" but to hear someone call being drafted, in the first round, the first step in a journey was impressive to me.

Randy Lee was one of the first to start these dev camps in the nhl. Also it doesn't sound like Dorion does anything without Randy's input.

Thanks all! :cheers:

mrkevo

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario
Im almost glad that Chabot has fallen below expectations for the camp. I have no doubt this kid is going to be a great hockey player for us one day however, I really didn't want to see him being rushed onto the main roster just to fill a roster spot on a cheap contract. Let him dominate in junior and develop properly. I feel like this org is just too willing to just hand out roster spots to prospects to fill a void on the cheap.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
He's got a master's in Sports admin, and 19 years experience with a variety of roles, from Video, conditioning and development coach. He started as our Video coach to my knowledge.

I don't think he's your average strength and conditioning coach in terms of background.

Meant to quote your post and quoted the wrong one :dunce:

Thanks!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
This is what Randy Lee said about Chabot after the scrimmage on Saturday

And now after the 3-on-3 tournament Lee said he was expecting more out of Chabot.

Maybe the Sens are realizing that Chabot may be a little farther off from making the team than initially anticipated. So maybe they end up adding a solid depth d man via free agency or trade.

Good!

Lee is right. A 'good' camp isn't good enough for any junior-aged kid to make an NHL roster. As far as I'm concerned, if a kid still has CHL/college eligibility, he has to look good enough in camp to bump someone off the top 8 forwards, or top 4 defensemen. Being better than the 13th forward or 7th defenseman just means you'll have a kid wasting away in the press box, or getting leftover crumps for icetime.

No more "Lazar treatment" for our kids. Either they make it onto the line/pairing that suits their abilities, or they go back. (Now granted, I want all rookie D to start on the third pairing for at least a few months or a season before moving up the ranks....but they must look in camp like they're capable of playing top 4....start them on the pairing below their ability to insulate them.)

Great to hear. That's where that pedigree comes in. So many other kids out there don't get it, and end up losing precious development time because of it.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010

Yah, but everyone time a read a quote from him, I expect him to be delivering it while wearing shorts and wiping down the stationary bikes.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Zach Saar looked really good in the 3-on-3 tournament. I wonder if the Senators give him an enter level contract. He seems like he could be developed into a solid bottom six winger.

Hopefully another winger for Bingo. Loved the hit on Gagne, was the only thing that got a reaction from the crowd all morning.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Still huge but he has leaned out too...good to see.

Paul yes? Is at 230 I think and Randy Lee says they talked and thought he should be around 220 ideally.
Paul has me excited

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad