Send youngsters to European leagues

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
They can't do that without the CHL teams permission. If the player does not play in the NHL the CHL team has first priorty if they were drafted out of the CHL, they would have to ok a player going to Europe and they're not gonna do that

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
What I don't understand is why the league doesn't work with CIS and have players play in Canadian university hockey. Keeps players in Canada, improves the quality of CIS hockey and they get an opportunity for education at the same time.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
What I don't understand is why the league doesn't work with CIS and have players play in Canadian university hockey. Keeps players in Canada, improves the quality of CIS hockey and they get an opportunity for education at the same time.

Technically that is what the chl does. If a player wanted a free ride for college they could from the chl. Play all the years in the chl and you get 1st and 2nd year minimum paid by the chl of college.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
the CHL would die without the rules and although its annoying when a good young player is ready for the AHL but cant play in it, its for the better of the sport

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Because, I doubt many of these kids want to be full-time students. While I know CHL players take part time classes in some cases, I doubt any NHL guys would take a full load. Canadian universities also aren't set up to accommodate student athletes with an insane amount of tutors and academic advisors to keep these kids on track. In most of the high-end NHL prospects (Hockey-wise) to focus full-time on hockey development.

As for getting stuff paid by the CHL, I'm pretty sure you get a full year paid for each time you meet a threshold of games played in a single season (no idea it is). Problems arise from how long you have to activate it (think its 18 months, but may be longer now).

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
That rule about CHL players can't play in the AHL untill the age 20 is stupid. But a rule is a rule, so why can't teams send them to European men leagues? Look at Mathews, playing in Swiss league has made wonders to him.

For example Marner doesn't look NHL ready right now, but Toronto can'd send him to AHL, and he won't get anything useful, destroying the CHL for one more season. And he could probably help some Sweden, Finnish, Swiss or even KHL team to become better and get a very helpful experience for himself.

You really want to kill the goose that lays golden eggs ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad