Send youngsters to European leagues

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
That rule about CHL players can't play in the AHL untill the age 20 is stupid. But a rule is a rule, so why can't teams send them to European men leagues? Look at Mathews, playing in Swiss league has made wonders to him.

For example Marner doesn't look NHL ready right now, but Toronto can'd send him to AHL, and he won't get anything useful, destroying the CHL for one more season. And he could probably help some Sweden, Finnish, Swiss or even KHL team to become better and get a very helpful experience for himself.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
European players can get loaned to european leagues. Don't think North American drafted players can though.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
That rule about CHL players can't play in the AHL untill the age 20 is stupid. But a rule is a rule, so why can't teams send them to European men leagues? Look at Mathews, playing in Swiss league has made wonders to him.

For example Marner doesn't look NHL ready right now, but Toronto can'd send him to AHL, and he won't get anything useful, destroying the CHL for one more season. And he could probably help some Sweden, Finnish, Swiss or even KHL team to become better and get a very helpful experience for himself.

When the CHL stops being the greatest provider of NHL talent then maybe we can worry about sending them elsewhere.

That's nice you can name ONE player that went to Europe for a single season. I won't bother to rhyme off the thousands who stayed in the CHL and it worked out for them just fine.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
What's wrong with playing in CHL? It's a fine development league.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010

Agree with the first paragraph and the concept.

Disagree with the second paragraph..Marner is ready.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
When the CHL stops being the greatest provider of NHL talent then maybe we can worry about sending them elsewhere.

That's nice you can name ONE player that went to Europe for a single season. I won't bother to rhyme off the thousands who stayed in the CHL and it worked out for them just fine.

It's not about ruining prospects, it's about giving them a more competitive environment.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Because if the CHL won't let NHL teams send their players to the AHL, why would they let them send them to Europe?

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
He looked bad vs Ottawa and terrible vs Montreal. He isn't ready.

90% of the Leafs roster is not ready for the NHL if this is your criteria, especially the sieve Andersen. Marner deserves to play over defensive or "grinding" plugs

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
They should just change the ahl rule so teams can have 1 or 2 guys under 20 in the ahl. For the guys that are way too good for the chl but not completely ready for the nhl so they aren't stuck.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I Wonder how much of that rule came about because draft age was lowered about three decades ago.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
If the Marners of the world don't go back to junior you don't get the Pietrangelos and Doughtys of the world. Symbiosis.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
As far as I understand, CHL doesn't have any agreements with European leagues, so players can leave it to go to Europe.

They should just change the ahl rule so teams can have 1 or 2 guys under 20 in the ahl. For the guys that are way too good for the chl but not completely ready for the nhl so they aren't stuck.

The issue with this is at CHL-team level, not NHL-team level.

I mean, take the Windsor Spitfires.

Say Montreal decides to send Sergachev in the AHL. That's one.

What happens if Ottawa and Winnipeg decide to do the same with their respective Logans?

Windsor just lost three of their best players.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
As far as I understand, CHL doesn't have any agreements with European leagues, so players can leave it to go to Europe.

Not true because they are still nhl property. So if they still have chl eligibility then the nhl has to send him back to the chl. Unless they specifically make an agreement with said team.

Mathews was a different story because he decided to go pro before getting drafted. So he had the right to choose europe over chl.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If the Marners of the world don't go back to junior you don't get the Pietrangelos and Doughtys of the world. Symbiosis.

You're ultimately right...

Until witty agents decide to keep their players out of the CHL at 16 years old and find some other place for their protégé due to this.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Not true because they are still nhl property. So if they still have chl eligibility then the nhl has to send him back to the chl. Unless they specifically make an agreement with said team.

Mathews was a different story because he decided to go pro before getting drafted. So he had the right to choose europe over chl.

So they play in the CHL, being under NHL contracts?

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

You are correct about Pietrangelo. Doughty made the opening day roster and played in the NHL and played important minutes as a two-way defenseman straight out of the draft as an 18 year old. Doughty is that 1 in a million defenseman who was NHL-ready day one, a position most of his peers spend several years to get to.

L13

Oct 1, 2015

Matthews was a different story because he was never a CHL player.

To answer the question, teams would love to have more options, but the CHL wouldn't acquiesce to such an arrangement and it's important for the NHL to keep the CHL (and NCAA) happy.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Let's not pretend Matthews is a product of the Swiss league. He was a terrific player before he went. Great talents are great talents. Period.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Let's not pretend Matthews is a product of the Swiss league. He was a terrific player before he went. Great talents are great talents. Period.

Of course he isn't, but I don't think that it's a bad idea for someone like him to spend a year playing in a good men's league.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Of course he isn't, but I don't think that it's a bad idea for someone like him to spend a year playing in a good men's league.

I agree, but the OP's post suggested that the Swiss league made him what he is. Does anyone really doubt that he'd be an excellent player if he had gone to the CHL last season? I don't. He's just that kind of talent. The CHL has been a very successful path for NHL players. Arguably the best. I'm not convinced it's that arguable, but for the sake of argument let's say it is.

I would have no problem with players taking a Euro route. For some players, that might be the better route. For others, they would probably benefit more from playing against the best talents their own age. Not every player is ready to play against adults when they hit 18.

Personally, I think there should be an exceptional status for the AHL, that excludes the CHL age restriction. There are clearly some cases where a player looks too good for the CHL, but he isn't eligible for the AHL. Or, really, for some of the Euro leagues. The jump from the CHL to the NHL is huge, and I think there should be a step in the middle for players who probably wouldn't benefit as much from the CHL, but who aren't ready for the NHL just yet. That could also give NHL teams the ability to give those young talents a shot in the NHL, as the season progresses.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Good luck, can't wait to see the first kid test the CHL's resolve. Flat out, they have signed an agreement tying them to Hockey Canada (an organization, not the country) and they own that players transfer card until there 20 year old season unless they go to the NHL. Obviously they will release kids if they want to play Canadian college hockey or go down to another jr level, but they will never allow a player to go oversea's.

Also, it will slowly deteriorate the league. Marner benefited from playing against Darnell Nurse as a 16 and 17 year old, Chychrun benefited playing against Marner. While the system has some hick-ups, it seems to work fine on a macro-level, and to tweak it to suit a small number of individuals seems short sighted. I say this as a massive Leafs fan, who thinks the AHL would be great for Marner, but too many exceptions will slowly lead to less ready NHL players coming straight from Jr. You are just slightly altering the development chain. Plus, how often does a kid come over from a European league and make an immediate impact? Panarin was 24, out of the younger guys it seems to take awhile (see Barkov, and Forsberg etc).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad