News Article: Senators won't name captain this season

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
This kinda flew under the radar yesterday, seems worthy of it's own thread, IMO. No captain for the 2019/20 season.

Article found: here

"The captain will emerge in time," Smith told Sportsnet in comments posted on its website Thursday. "I think the biggest thing is that we will allow the older guys to mentor these younger guys and blunt the blow until we turn the corner here. After a tough night, I don't want the young guys having to answer all the questions. The veterans and myself are going to answer to it."

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Sounds like this was expected. Just like the leafs.

Any predictions if we keep most of the prospects down the line?

Three years from now:

K-chuck?
Chabot?
White?
Brown?
Batherson?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think this makes sense as the older vets will be leaving the team over the next couple of years. A younger leader will emerge during that time, gaining the wisdom that comes from experience.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I agree with the decision to not name a captain at this point. Things are still in flux. I don't think its necessary to name a young guy at this point. Let's see who is here starting next year.

Reactions: Alex1234

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Makes a ton of sense, both guys who are the leaders are 22 and 20 and in their 3rd and 2nd seasons on what is extremely likely to be a the worst team in the league. Putting a C on either Chabot or Tkachuk now would be a terrible decision, and giving it to the other guys who could fill that role in Boro (dislike him as a player, but he is the epitome of team leader) or Pageau doesn’t work for a long term fix when we know that Tkachuk will have the C in another season or two for what we how to be a long haul.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Any guesses on who gets the three A's?

Pageau seems like a shoe-in. Boro probably gets one too.

If I had to wager, maybe one of the incoming Toronto players gets the 3rd A, based on their relationship with Smith? Connor Brown or Zaitsev?

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
I feel Tkachuk will be the next captain but agree not to give him it yet. He will be expected to step it up this season and hopefully by next ready to start taking that role. Assuming they extend him next summer.

Chabot if he signs will likely take the A.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I feel Tkachuk will be the next captain but agree not to give him it yet. He will be expected to step it up this season and hopefully by next ready to start taking that role. Assuming they extend him next summer.

Chabot if he signs will likely take the A.

Yes but after Melnyk pays him he won't be able to afford a letter so he will have to play the season with habot on the back of his jersey.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I’m going to guess Pageua and Boro will have them, as they should, and then Tkachuk and Chabot will both wear them, likely alternating home and away, and then another to Hainsey.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't see any worthy candidates atm, so it makes sense.

Some have thrown out Pageau as an option, but he's ufa and is likely to be dealt by the deadline, so you can't do that unless he were re-signed.

Chabot is the best player but doesn't come off as the type.

Tkachuk just too soon.

Can't think of any other reasonable candidates.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

If I had to wager, maybe one of the incoming Toronto players gets the 3rd A, based on their relationship with Smith? Connor Brown or Zaitsev?
Hainsey almost certainly imo.

Reactions: Icelevel

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

Whitey

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Tkachuk is still the leader in the clubhouse, imo, but I'm glad they aren't rushing to give it to him so soon.

I know a lot of people mention Chabot and as the best player on the team (short and long term) he'll always be in the conversation but he doesn't seem like the type to lead in the room as well (at least not yet anyways).

I also don't think Boro is a slam dunk for an A next season. It should be interesting to see if he starts to get phased out of the lineup under a new coaching staff. If that's the case it's tough to give a letter to someone who isn't an everyday player.

The most obvious candidates to wear a letter are also UFA's for the most part (Pageau, Boro, Hainsey, Demelo) which could further complicate things.

I actually kinda think Bobby could end up with one of the A's although maybe that comes post deadline when some of the other guys are shipped out.

EDIT: Completely spaced on White, but now that the organization has committed to him long term I hope he gets real consideration. The guy seems to be cut from the same mold as guys like Bergeron and Alfie and I think he has the right temperment to be a long term leader for this franchise.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I know a lot of people mention Chabot and as the best player on the team (short and long term) he'll always be in the conversation but he doesn't seem like the type to lead in the room as well (at least not yet anyways).
There’s no way to know this information.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad