News Article: Senators won’t be competitive until they prioritize talent over finances

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Yep I had a feeling I was missing someone.

You're right.

I think my concern is still largely supported by the last 5 years.
Absolutely. We'll learn all we need to know in the next two years with how they treat Chabot and Tkachuk. If I were a betting man, I would say that neither guy is still with the team in 2 years time.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Have you seen the Blue Jay trades recently? Lots more money than the Sens but very questionable deals!
Whataboutism doesn't excuse how the Sens are run.

The way Rogers runs the Blue Jays is a damn travesty though.

Ottawa is by far the worst run organization in NA pro sports though. The only team that can even sniff us are the New York Knicks.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Whataboutism doesn't excuse how the Sens are run.

The way Rogers runs the Blue Jays is a damn travesty though.

Ottawa is by far the worst run organization in NA pro sports though. The only team that can even sniff us are the New York Knicks.
Actually you are correct. James Dolan has managed to make the best destination in North American sports a place to be avoided at all costs.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
This is Rod Bryden all over again. Could not sign even one decent player in Yashin, coming up with ridiculous BS and turning the public eye against the only skilled player on the team. It was painful to watch. And now our media as always is self-censoring themselves, because they are all one mafia and get fed from the owner's hands and do it for privileges to travel with the team and staying in the decent hotels and having their jobs for writing tree hugging stories.. This is a third world country stuff, dictatorsh*t. Remembering Yashin's sh*tshow. Some idiots wanted even to sue him as season tickets holders)))) WTF?? Some idiots still believe it is all about honoring cheap contracts and not building a winner and signing your best player. But what strikes me the most. Not drafting skilled players, because they will ask for more money in the future -it is the new now - how. Playing Yashin's card and turning the crowd away from a totally broke owner's money problems, will not work anymore. Fans need to rally on the parliament hill. Sport's media in Ottawa is a complete sellout on a take. Owner is a mafia type. What are we waiting for?

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
This is Rod Bryden all over again. Could not sign even one decent player in Yashin, coming up with ridiculous BS and turning the public eye against the only skilled player on the team. It was painful to watch. And now our media as always is self-censoring themselves, because they are all one mafia and get fed from the owner's hands and do it for privileges to travel with the team and staying in the decent hotels and having their jobs for writing tree hugging stories.. This is a third world country stuff, dictatorsh*t. Remembering Yashin's sh*tshow. Some idiots wanted even to sue him as season tickets holders)))) WTF?? Some idiots still believe it is all about honoring cheap contracts and not building a winner and signing your best player. But what strikes me the most. Not drafting skilled players, because they will ask for more money in the future -it is the new now - how. Playing Yashin's card and turning the crowd away from a totally broke owner's money problems, will not work anymore. Fans need to rally on the parliament hill. Sport's media in Ottawa is a complete sellout on a take. Owner is a mafia type. What are we waiting for?
Nacho's.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Fans are doing pretty much all they can. They stopped buying tickets.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
wonder what season tickets look like?
something like this

$_35.JPG

Reactions: Bileur

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
this rebuild is sham for melnyk to milk every dollar from the husk of the ottawa senators and to sell the team when its bled dry.

its not really an nhl team anymore.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
New article by Wayne Scanlan on Sportsnet.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/senators-wont-competitive-prioritize-talent-bottom-line/

"According to CapFriendly, the hockey writer’s favourite summertime source, the Senators are saving $10.1 million from injury insurance payments and another $5.5 million in salary bonuses paid by rivals before trading players to Ottawa (Artem Anisimov, Nikita Zaitsev, Connor Brown).

Are you sensing a pattern here?"

The measure of any org is:
being 1 of the 2 teams that win a championship each year.
Or
Final 4 competing for a championship
Their are now 29 losing orgs each year.

Last time competing in the final 4:
Toronto 94 playoffs - 25 years ago.
Senators 2017 playoffs 2 yr ago.

Last time winning a championship:
Toronto 67 SC champ in a 6 team league - 52 yr ago
Senators 07 EC champs in a 30 team league - 12 yr ago

In what world should any Senators fan take org advice from Hockey media of the worst Sport org in NA.

I have developed 40+ Hockey theorems since 05-06.
High danger area homeplate (05-06) from a 40-50 yr old observations.

I first posted my 2010 cup core theory around April 2016.
Vegas selected 100% of the players available in exp draft that fit my cup core theory. Just before thevexp draft I said they would be GA competative for a cup final.

The theory was based on my identification of the most important goal diff mechanism. GA.
And
Identifying the repetative rosters that fit all my theories and had competed in the final 4 for the past 25 years.

Toronto has forward depth.
Like Calgary’s
But they lacked the Open HIgh Danger Shot 2D-1G
2D - 3+(4 preferred) top 60 open HD Sh Density dmen.

Their 2 types of shot measures

1. density: ( homeplate)
Defined x,y location in OZ which created a Cone.
But most on TSN 1260 alllen Mitchell’s Blog site Lowetide called it Rickisbox. 12 years later Media started calling it Homeplate.
I discovered in my mapping that avg HD sh ( homeplate) goes in 5 times more than avg LD shot( perimeter)

2. Quality: (Open/ closed shots)
It was from a 45 yrvold observation of a 7 yr old ( Ron Gunville) playing with us 10 year olds.
He moved with the ball like a table hockey goalie.
The puck hit him at a high rate.
Closed shot: pucks that hit goalies have 0% chance of going in.
They have a density of 0
Open shot: pucks that hit the open space in net that require a goalie to make a save.

Oh you may recognize the name Ron Gunville.
I contacted him last year to get his permission to use his name.
He is Player Personel director of this years WHL champs the PA Raiders.

Their are teams that have Dpairs that greatly reduce the % of open shots and HD shots.
Theorem: Dpairs establish the save% baseline which goalies perform around.

Ottawa has superior Open High Danger Defence and Goalie depth than Toronto.
40% more top GA teams make the final than top GF teams.

That is why TO has bombed out before final 4
Say few years.

It only takes:
1. A Top open HD def sys coach like
Gallant, Tippett, Trotz, Deboer, Sutter

2. A top 10 open HD save% goalie like
Fluery. Binnington, Murray, C. Andersson

3. 3+(4 preferred) top 60 open HD sh density dmen like
Mcnabb, Schmidt, C. Miller, Sbisa, Garisson, Engelland, Hjarlmasson, Larsson, Benning, Dumoulin, Matta, Hainsey, Methot, Orpik, Niskanen, Mitchell, Greene, Voyonov, Doughty .....

Ottawa is closer to the needed 3-4D and 1G
Than TO.
But their superior off will get them in the playoffs.

Theirvis a reason they have said build from the net out for 75 years.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Or

In what world should any Senators fan take org advice from Hockey media of the worst Sport org in NA.

High danger area homeplate (05-06) from a 40-50 yr old observations.

Vegas selected 100% of the players available in exp draft that fit my cup core theory. Just before thevexp draft I said they would be GA competative for a cup final.

The theory was based on my identification of the most important goal diff mechanism. GA.
And
Identifying the repetative rosters that fit all my theories and had competed in the final 4 for the past 25 years.

Like Calgary’s

But most on TSN 1260 alllen Mitchell’s Blog site Lowetide called it Rickisbox. 12 years later Media started calling it Homeplate.
I discovered in my mapping that avg HD sh ( homeplate) goes in 5 times more than avg LD shot( perimeter)

2. Quality: (Open/ closed shots)
It was from a 45 yrvold observation of a 7 yr old ( Ron Gunville) playing with us 10 year olds.
They have a density of 0
Open shot: pucks that hit the open space in net that require a goalie to make a save.

Oh you may recognize the name Ron Gunville.

Their are teams that have Dpairs that greatly reduce the % of open shots and HD shots.
Theorem: Dpairs establish the save% baseline which goalies perform around.

Say few years.

It only takes:
Gallant, Tippett, Trotz, Deboer, Sutter

Fluery. Binnington, Murray, C. Andersson

Mcnabb, Schmidt, C. Miller, Sbisa, Garisson, Engelland, Hjarlmasson, Larsson, Benning, Dumoulin, Matta, Hainsey, Methot, Orpik, Niskanen, Mitchell, Greene, Voyonov, Doughty .....

Ottawa is closer to the needed 3-4D and 1G
Than TO.
But their superior off will get them in the playoffs.

Theirvis a reason they have said build from the net out for 75 years.

Thanks for putting this together. :thumbu:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Season ticket base has to have dwindled down a lot to drive such cost-cutting measures

Got to wonder what we're down too.

Back in our hay day, we topped out at 13500 in STH sales

We were around 10k to 12k depending on the year during the tail end of Murray's tenure.

Last year, I recall reading 4000 as our total. Can it go any lower than that?

If the team ever does sell, I suspect we'll see the kind of Season ticket drive typically associated with expansion teams to get the numbers back up... Not only do you need to convince fans to come back, but you have to convince corporate sales and sponsors that spending their money on the team is a good investment.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
New article by Wayne Scanlan on Sportsnet.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/senators-wont-competitive-prioritize-talent-bottom-line/

"According to CapFriendly, the hockey writer’s favourite summertime source, the Senators are saving $10.1 million from injury insurance payments and another $5.5 million in salary bonuses paid by rivals before trading players to Ottawa (Artem Anisimov, Nikita Zaitsev, Connor Brown).

Are you sensing a pattern here?"

Or

High danger area homeplate (05-06) from 40-50 yr old observations.

Vegas selected 100% of the players available in exp draft that fit my cup core theory.
Just before the exp draft I said they would be GA competative for a cup final.

And

Like Calgary’s
1G - Top 10 Open HD sh save% goalie measured versus baseline established by Dpairs.

2. Quality: (06-07) (Open/ closed shots)
It was from a 45 yr old observation of a 7 yr old ( Ron Gunville) playing with us 10 year olds.

Theorem: (06-07) hit goalie, Table Hockey Goalie movement

They have a density of 0

Open shot: pucks that hit the open space in net that require a goalie to make a save. >0 density

Oh!
You may recognize the name Ron Gunville.

Theorem: (05-06) dpairs establish the save% baseline which goalies perform around.

7 of 8 final 4 teams are top GA teams.

Last few years.

It only takes:
Gallant, Tippett, Trotz, Deboer, Sutter, Berube, MacT

Fluery. Binnington, Murray, C. Andersson, Holtby, Rollasson, Smith ........

Mcnabb, Schmidt, C. Miller, Sbisa, Garisson, Engelland, Hjarlmasson, Larsson, Benning, Dumoulin, Matta, Lovejoy, Hainsey, Methot, Orpik, Niskanen, Spacek, Pronger, J. smith, Staios, Greene

Theorem: (06-07)0% Corsi.
0% corsi have 0% chance of going in the net.
0% corsi = (blocks + forced misses + closed shots)

Theorem: (07-08) Elite 0% Corsi dmen generate the lowest % of open shots per corsi.
Dmen like Russell, DeHaan, Stevens, Niedermeyer, Odelin, Daneyko, Albelin, Driver......

You can get a top HD pair by pairing a top 0% corsi Dman with a top 60 HD dmen. The pair will get the HD dmans usual results.

Their is further complexity of GA issue of 3F-1R-1D-1G structure versus 3F -2D-1G.

The rover based structure causes a higher % of uncovered open HD shots to the rovers side that he has abandoned.

The last 3 years GM’s have been pushing for Rover driven offence.
we have seen the save % median drop from the higher % of 3-1-1-1 structures.
15-16 .918, top 5 range .924 to .930
To
18-19 .912, top 5 range .927 to .934
Yet the standard of top goaltending is improving.

2 championship teams 29 losing orgs each year.

Sadly in the current NHL fans are looking at D like the ChL game were goaltending is like the 80’s NHL median save% of .875.
Rovers work in junior cause CHL goaltending sucks.

The top 5 rovers in the game generate even offence like a #6 to #9 fwd.
All the rest are #10-#14 forward level of Evp/60.

Sadly Senators seem to be moving away from 3-2-1 structure Dmen in their prospect pool.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Yashin would have had the entire fanbase on his side if he hadn't sat out for a season he ended up having to play anyway.

Reactions: toivy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
You can a Cup as a small market club. ottawa has assembled an elite team before as a small market team.

What we are seeing now has nothing to do with winning, the Senators are an account for Melnyck to make money off of and winning isn’t a Prioirty if the club in any sense.

Not only that winning isn’t a Prioirty, neither is investing in players he fans want to pay to see. Melncyk doesn’t even like the Ottawa Senators, he just likes the attention it brings him - and you don’t need to win to get attention, in fact bad news generates more buzz and that’s where we are. An owner who’s satisfied because his ego is getting he press clipped GMs he wants without having to pay for a wining team

Last edited by a moderator:

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I was trying to remain as partial as possible, but personally, I'm with ya (outside of maybe the Rays, who've given Melnyk a run for his money).

The Rays operate on an embarrassing budget, but have one of the smartest front offices in the league, which enables them to put a respectable product on the field. I'd love for the Senators to be the Rays. Disliking the owner while respecting the analytics, scouting, and coaching staffs for being top-tier would be a massive step up.

Reactions: TheNewEra

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Reactions: BonkTastic

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Why NHL’s trading of 'dead assets' has become absolutely comical - Sportsnet.ca

The piling on continues, meanwhile, our local media remains mostly quiet as per usual, and continue to treat the Callahan move as one that was needed to clear the "crowded crease".

That article represents your typical Toronto media bias towards Ottawa. We helped their competition and its easy click bait for chest pumping Toronto fans.

Teams sell the names of their buildings for $1 million, paste ads above toilets for $10000’s ... it should be easy to understand why a team would take a meaningless contract for an easy $2 million. I don’t think a genius marketer in Ottawa could easily generate that revenue.

The larger issue of EM not being able to field a competitive roster is a separate issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad