Pre-Game Talk: Senators vs Capitals 7pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
How have we consistently lead to failure? We're further along in this rebuild than we hoped for and are in a playoff race with 10 other teams.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
I agree with having patience with our veterans with skill, like Spezza and Anderson. The alternatives are not as good.

As for Chris Neil and Chris Phillips... both are miscast and overused.

Remember, this is just m'pinion.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Some of you need to ****ing accept that Maclean is going to ride the veterans. He comes from the red wings and babcock also uses his veterans a lot as well. So he most likely learned it from him. I am not saying that i agree with it, but i have just come to accept it. If you want to the young players to play more, start a protest group to get maclean fired.

Who hasn't accepted that fact ? Accepting and questioning are two different things. I would guess that you are a follower in life, nothing wrong with that, but I like to question things, makes life a lot more interesting :)

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Ian Mendes ‏@ian_mendes 2m
Craig Anderson will start in goal tomorrow at Washington accordion to Paul MacLean.

LOL :biglaugh: I have no problem with Andy playing. I have a problem with Lehner not playing when he's playing good and Anderson has two bad games in a row.

Macleans depth chart

Last edited:

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Even though the team played like **** he was hugely responsible for the goal where EK passed it behind his back. He screamed to EK to make that pass and Andy not being ready when the shot came is unforgivable. That goal crumbled most of the hope we had since going to the intermission with only being down with one goal would still make the players think we had a chance.

At least we'll most likely get to see Lehner in one of the back-to-back games on Thurs/fri.

That shot still went post in, so some credit has to be given to Stepan. Furthermore, I've never seen a reverse that went where Karlsson put his. Finally, the team has to score more than one goal to win the game. No run support. Two breakaway goals, a back door 5 on 3, and the worst giveaway of all time constitute Andy throwing the game? That's unfair.

Anderson lost the game against Montreal. He was arguably bad for all 5 goals against him. That game could have been won easily with any mediocre NHL performance

Again, two breakaway goals, one of which he made the save on and Cowen trucked it into his own net. To fully fault those on Anderson is revisionist history, as giving Plekanec two breakways is a systemic meltdown.

Andy wasn't good against Montreal, I get it. But he was also hung out to dry at the beginning and end of the game.

WhiteLight*

Again, two breakaway goals, one of which he made the save on and Cowen trucked it into his own net. To fully fault those on Anderson is revisionist history, as giving Plekanec two breakways is a systemic meltdown.

Andy wasn't good against Montreal, I get it. But he was also hung out to dry at the beginning and end of the game.

OK I don't blame him for the Cowen blunder, but the first one he didn't even challenge. Anderson looked like a scared little girl on that one, breakaway or not. Get in to the game man

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Give Petersson his final hoorah in the organization. If he doesn't impress in the top 9 on Spezza's wing, release him from his contract.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I agree with having patience with our veterans with skill, like Spezza and Anderson. The alternatives are not as good.

As for Chris Neil and Chris Phillips... both are miscast and overused.

Remember, this is just m'pinion.

Don't state your opinion or you will be accused of wanting MacLean fired, please just go with the flow and willingly accept what is put in front of you. :sarcasm:

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
I hate MacLean, thats my thoughts.

Probably will sit Wier too...

Ya, he sure isn't putting this team in a winning position with his crazy decisions. Playing veterans non stop, to the point where it is impacting goal scoring and ruining lines. Now this.

Anderson is a good goalie, but he has seen enough ice time and should sit this one.

I can somewhat see his point if this was November, but the team is running out of time.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
How have we consistently lead to failure? We're further along in this rebuild than we hoped for and are in a playoff race with 10 other teams.

It's actually hilarious reading this board right now. Our FIRST regulation loss in 10 games and it's right back to:

1) Maclean is an idiot

2) Anderson sucks

3) Trade Spezza

Each and every day, I'm glad no one from this board has any decision making ability with the team. Lord knows how this team would look with the knee jerk calls our fans make here.

Oh, and just for the sake of argument, here's Lehner's stats after his hot start to the year:

JAN 14 '14 OTT @ MIN W 1.000
DEC 27 '13 OTT @ BOS L .881
DEC 18 '13 OTT @ NJD L .848
DEC 16 '13 STL @ OTT W .938
DEC 14 '13 LAK @ OTT L .864
DEC 10 '13 OTT @ BUF O .972
DEC 5 '13 OTT @ TBL L .864
DEC 1 '13 DET @ OTT L .864
NOV 28 '13 VAN @ OTT .923
NOV 24 '13 OTT @ CAR L .917
NOV 23 '13 OTT @ DET W .944
NOV 19 '13 OTT @ PHI L .902

Newsflash people, he's been inconsistent in nets TOO. Which is why he hasn't displaced Anderson is a starter. For him to get the call over Andy, he needs to consistently win games as the back-up.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Still sad that they didnt get a win in the last 2. Why do I have a feeling that'll come back to haunt us...

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
It's actually hilarious reading this board right now. Our FIRST regulation loss in 10 games and it's right back to:

1) Maclean is an idiot

2) Anderson sucks

3) Trade Spezza

Each and every day, I'm glad no one from this board has any decision making ability with the team. Lord knows how this team would look with the knee jerk calls our fans make here.

Oh, and just for the sake of argument, here's Lehner's stats after his hot start to the year:

Newsflash people, he's been inconsistent in nets TOO. Which is why he hasn't displaced Anderson is a starter. For him to get the call over Andy, he needs to consistently win games as the back-up.

1) MacLean is not an idiot, he has his way of doing things and sticks to it. The question is has it been working and is it the right way ? I'm more curious in what the end game is with our youth (Zibby, Lehner, Conacher, Weircioch, Pageau ect. MacLean always goes back to his vets, this wouldn't be questioned if it worked.
2) Anderson does not suck and should be our number one goalie, but taking Lehner out after he was the player of the week, and right after he posted a shutout should be questioned.
3) Trade Spezza is not going to happen during the year too big of a cap hit to move in season, but if moving Spezza improves your team why wouldn't you look at it ? Our depth at center can be used to improve ourselves elsewhere. I have stated I would prefer Smith to be moved because I prefer a three line attacking team as opposed to a defending team. There is not enough ice time for the four quality centers that we have.

TristanH

Apr 22, 2012
Ottawa
My thoughts exactly.. sitting here as a fan right now I am nothing but excited that this team has turned a corner. Apart from the Rangers game where they stunk out the arena with another bad afternoon performance.. this team has looked solid.

Anyone who suggests dumping Maclean has to give their heads a shake. If it weren't for what he did in his previous years.. you wouldn't have watched this team in the playoffs. To have taken a team with so many injuries to the second round of the playoffs last year is nothing short of amazing.

Can we question some of his coaching decisions? Hell ya... did he make risky decisions last year? Absolutely! This guy goes on his hunches... sometimes it works.. sometimes it doesn't.

I can only imagine with the right cogs in place what this coach is capable of doing. If we are building a team to win the stanley cup at some point soon.... It's with Maclean behind the bench.

Anderson... he has been getting his mojo back.. but is still not fully back to the Anderson we knew last year. Lets hope both goalies can continue to make strides in the right direction. Both these goalies have the ability to play at an elite level. .. lets just hope they can find it and stick with it.

Spezza......... I think at this point we can only hope he is capable of getting his game back. He is such a dynamic player with a ton of skill and ability. 796/810 in the league with a -17 for the captain of your team... I am not on the "trade spezza" bandwagon... but certainly am expecting that sometime soon the production increases.

Lets hope for a solid week! 3 wins would be nice ;)

1) Maclean is an idiot

2) Anderson sucks

3) Trade Spezza

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
It is amazing how quickly everything turns bat**** crazy after a loss.

We are going to have a very steady dose of Andy heading toward the playoffs. Mac is not looking at a single game, he is looking at what it takes over the course of the last 33 games to get us in to the playoffs. My guess is that he is reasoning that riding Andy over the home stretch is our best chance of making it in, and I don't disagree with that.

I would like to see W play against the Caps because of his quick outlet pass, but Mac may opt to go with the vet and play Corvo.

No sure why Kassian would draw in, but he is a win factory so I'm on board if he does.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, no surprise to see Anderson start. He's our #1, he has the experience, this is a game with a team that we could be battling with at season's end for 1 of the 2 wild card spots in the East.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
I'd rather have given the ball to Lehner though this game. Forget Anderson's past track record vs the caps. Yeah he stoned walled them last time he played them but he also struggled last time in DC. If you wanted to give Anderson Tampa and then Carolina to Lehner that would have been fine (assuming Lehner started vs the caps). The question is though if Anderson struggles tomorrow and loses and then loses in Tampa or Carolina and Lehner wins one of the 2, does the ball finally get handed to him for a bit?

I am rooting for Anderson to fully regain his form but even I can see that Lehner should have a shot for now to see what he can do with the stakes raised higher. There is no worst case scenario here because it's getting into crunch time. I swear it just feels like for some reason Maclean is worried that Lehner stealing the number 1 job from Anderson will cause a rift or something when really it could mean the difference between making or missing the playoffs. I want to see what the goalie of the future can do with a steady stream of games and maybe there is a chance that it could reawaken the old Andy by seeing Lehner on a roll of games knowing his starting job could be on the line.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I actually don't mind playing Anderson. Even though I'll probably be on another level bashing him tomorrow if he does poorly.

Mainly cause he is the number 1 guy made by the team.

All these starts will give him a chance to get his **** together or it will make sure we gave him large enough sample size to get his **** together. If not, we can hand over job to Lehner without much complaint on Anderson's side and he'd fully understand.

The only downfall? Could miss us out on some freakin' wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad