Senators Roster Has Potential To Make Damaging Playoff Noise

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I have left off from making a thread like this until things became official but I believe now is time for this bad boy to come out.

Through our stretch run, we have seen glimpses of brilliant clutch performances by almost everyone on this roster and I believe that is more of a testament to the make up of this team that it is of just a very good and convenient run that just fell perfectly in place.

Ottawa, IMO, has the right personnel of players in their current roster that could surprise and win more than a playoff round. Perhaps resembling the Devils roster that made cup finals 3 years ago.

Condra-Pageau-Lazar as brilliant as they've been, IMO, still contain an extra gear that could be even better, like we seen them display that in 2012-2013. I think Lazar is the type of player who all of a sudden wouldnt be surprising to lead our team in goals at the end of the playoffs.

Boro, Gryba will make things hell for whoever we play. Turris, Mac and Ryan have clutch displays in their resumes.

This is were Boro will show his worth the most. Legwand too.

Karlsson and Methot as well. Stone and Hoffman should be a feast.

These are the playoffs were guys like Legwand become heros. Chiasson even.

tl;dr i feel like we have a good enough group where the majority of the players are built exactly and perfectly for the playoffs.

Oilers in 2005-2006 essentially.

I'm just so excited guys. With a hot goaltender and depth scoring like we've had, anything can happen. I've never felt this confident going into the playoffs since the year we made finals.

If there was one major weakness we might not be able to overcome, it might be that 2nd pairing not having top ability or depth, mainly Wiercioch. I feel confident in Ceci. And also 3rd pairing's lack of mobility and vision but then again i feel the playoff's clutch and grab and physicality could make them much better and freer to get away with many plays.

Othello*

The bottom pairing is the Achilles heal of this team. Other then the PK they've been awful

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
I hope Boro can be solid for us. I really like what he brings in terms of toughness on this team

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We played at our best when we also had the Zibanejad line going.

With Ryan playing in his current state, our offence takes a big hit.

Not sure if Michalek can be the guy, because I always saw him as more complementary when he was putting up his points during the run.

We really need that other offensive option when other teams inevitably raise their games in the post-season.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
We played at our best when we also had the Zibanejad line going.

With Ryan playing in his current state, our offence takes a big hit.

Not sure if Michalek can be the guy, because I always saw him as more complementary when he was putting up his points during the run.

We really need that other offensive option when other teams inevitably raise their games in the post-season.

I believe we have the ability to score by committee on all 4 lines that can compensate for top line not going, especially if we face Montreal.

I also think Zib's line will get going in playoffs. Zibanejad plays best when more is on the line and he'll be on.

But yes, once we face the higher tier teams, only way we have a shot is if Zib's line gets going.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
I'd agree that our fate lies in if we can get Hoffman and Ryan going. We've been relying on one line being hot up until this point, but if we can get both going we're looking damn good.

Also, Smith -> Michalek wouldn't hurt either.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I also think Michalek in for Smith or Puempel added to roster too make this team much much more lethal.

Puempel was brilliant on that 4th line, remember how big of a threat it was? Even though they didnt score much they held the play in offensive zone often and made a lot of great scoring chances.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I really would have liked to see this line-up with a healthy Ryan, Michalek, MacArthur and Puempel going.

Aside from secondary scoring, my other issue is our PP.

Those goals are sooooo important in the playoffs.

Karlsson2Turris*

I have left off from making a thread like this until things became official but I believe now is time for this bad boy to come out.

Through our stretch run, we have seen glimpses of brilliant clutch performances by almost everyone on this roster and I believe that is more of a testament to the make up of this team that it is of just a very good and convenient run that just fell perfectly in place.

Ottawa, IMO, has the right personnel of players in their current roster that could surprise and win more than a playoff round. Perhaps resembling the Devils roster that made cup finals 3 years ago.

Condra-Pageau-Lazar as brilliant as they've been, IMO, still contain an extra gear that could be even better, like we seen them display that in 2012-2013. I think Lazar is the type of player who all of a sudden wouldnt be surprising to lead our team in goals at the end of the playoffs.

Boro, Gryba will make things hell for whoever we play. Turris, Mac and Ryan have clutch displays in their resumes.

This is were Boro will show his worth the most. Legwand too.

Karlsson and Methot as well. Stone and Hoffman should be a feast.

These are the playoffs were guys like Legwand become heros. Chiasson even.

tl;dr i feel like we have a good enough group where the majority of the players are built exactly and perfectly for the playoffs.

Oilers in 2005-2006 essentially.

I'm just so excited guys. With a hot goaltender and depth scoring like we've had, anything can happen. I've never felt this confident going into the playoffs since the year we made finals.

If there was one major weakness we might not be able to overcome, it might be that 2nd pairing not having top ability or depth, mainly Wiercioch. I feel confident in Ceci. And also 3rd pairing's lack of mobility and vision but then again i feel the playoff's clutch and grab and physicality could make them much better and freer to get away with many plays.

Boro and Gryba will make things hell for the Sens, not for other teams :laugh:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I actually don't mind Boro at all, Gryba though worries me.

Same, but I believe Cameron will not be as lenient in mistake in the playoffs, he'll bring in Cowen or even Wideman if things are becoming derailed.

Call me crazy folks but I believe bigger concern is Wiercioch on that 2nd pairing. He's good but I don't believe he's good enough to sustain number 3/4 defender pressure as much as Gryba does 6th/7th defender.

He'll have to step up huge like most 2nd pairings do if we want a deep run.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Without Ryan we are a one line team

If Ryan doesn't play at the level we need him to be at I doubt we get out of the first round, Weircioch is another huge questions mark

It's a shame but that's part of the price you pay for having to win 24 of the last 31 games to make the playoffs and actually pulling it off!

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I'm pretty optimistic too. I like the match-up, and I think we have guys who can step up. Could be that a few days of rest will do wonders for Ryan. Could be that Michalek is ready to come in and replace Smith. The playoffs is the one place where Legwand's experience might play dividends. And if people bug us too much, we can unleash a fresh and rested Neil on them!

BoroCop will be a beast. I think Chiasson will surprise.

Our PP has been better of late, and I think MacArthur is a factor. We've been playing the puck down low a little bit more often, allowing Karlsson to move in from the point and provide more options.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Gryba is underrated. He's good but he plays too much at times.

Boro is a beast.

The most worrisome thing is them taking dumb penalties

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I'm pretty optimistic too. I like the match-up, and I think we have guys who can step up. Could be that a few days of rest will do wonders for Ryan. Could be that Michalek is ready to come in and replace Smith. The playoffs is the one place where Legwand's experience might play dividends. And if people bug us too much, we can unleash a fresh and rested Neil on them!

BoroCop will be a beast. I think Chiasson will surprise.

Our PP has been better of late, and I think MacArthur is a factor. We've been playing the puck down low a little bit more often, allowing Karlsson to move in from the point and provide more options.

Agreed. In the playoffs the gritty forwards come into light and usually step up as the stars on the team.

Konopka and Neil were some of our best forwards vs NYR 3 years ago.

Then Greening, Smith, Pageau, Gryba 2 years ago.

Chiasson's board play, Legwand's experience will be HUGE on that 4th line. Chiasson could be big factor he plays great with a chip. Especially if Michalek draws on that LW.

Lazar IMO will elevate his game even more and we all know Pageau and Condra will do the same. They're just terrific under any circumstances.

IMO this series will be decided by Zibanejad and Karlsson. If they outplay Montreal's top line and top pairing, we will win this series rather confidently even if its in 6 games(depending on Price's brilliance).

I also worry about Wiercioch's speed getting exposed heavily by Habs. I have no doubt Stone will continue his domination vs Habs, he loves playing against them, so do Turris and Mac.

Im so ****ing excited. I honestly made this thread thinking we were gonna go up against NYR or Tampa but this is all the more sweeter.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I would've really really loved to see Wideman play some games before this point. Unforntunately (and fortunately lol) we didn't have a chance to see what he's got in store because of our unreal stretch but I believe he could've been a good addition to our 3rd pair.

Methot-Karlsson
Wier-Ceci
Borowiecki- Wideman

I would've really liked to see this, we have a defensemen that can get the puck out of the dzone on every pair and a good defensive guy on every pair also. That being said, I trust Gryba as a 3rd pairing guy. He's obviously not the best player but he's a steady guy and reliable IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad