Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk 2016-2017 | Part IV

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not sure that's really setting a high bar... Who's he competing with in terms of projections: Paul, McCormick, Gagne? I guess that tells me you see him projecting better than Akeson and Varone, who pretty much are what the are at this point,.

It isn't setting the bar high, Bingo was literally a wasteland last year. It's basically my way of stating I project him to have a future in the NHL.

England never played when they were in town, and Perron ended up getting hurt in the last game I saw.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Excited about our young guys. Want to see more!

Brown White Chabot Jaros

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It isn't setting the bar high, Bingo was literally a wasteland last year. It's basically my way of stating I project him to have a future in the NHL.

England never played when they were in town, and Perron ended up getting hurt in the last game I saw.

Yeah, sorry, I should have been more clear, I'm more concerned with your sentence before the bold one I commented on, I was just trying (and probably failing) to be funny.

I like Perron, and am hopeful the added weight and strength going into this year will allow him to do better in the AHL this year. I think he's got a real shot at the NHL level from my limited viewings.

Also happy to here things like Donovan apparently saying he's got the best shot in camp, and one of the best in the AHL.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah, sorry, I should have been more clear, I'm more concerned with your sentence before the bold one I commented on, I was just trying (and probably failing) to be funny.

I like Perron, and am hopeful the added weight and strength going into this year will allow him to do better in the AHL this year. I think he's got a real shot at the NHL level from my limited viewings.

Also happy to here things like Donovan apparently saying he's got the best shot in camp, and one of the best in the AHL.

His release from the halfwall is extremely impressive. It's Semin like in that there is no windup and he shoots across his body.

His shot is the most underrated part of his game, and I may have sold that short, though I still don't think it's at the level Hoffnan's was with the Sea Dogs or at the same time frame.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Shean Donovan said on the radio that Formenton grew an inch and a half since the draft.

o_O

How the heck does an 18 year old kid grow that much in 4 months?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
While also spending the entire time on the Space Station?

Probably something like this:

screen-shot-2012-03-12-at-11-07-58-am.png

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Shean Donovan said on the radio that Formenton grew an inch and a half since the draft.

o_O

How the heck does an 18 year old kid grow that much in 4 months?

Is that from the 6'2 draft time listing? If so... damn! He'll probably end up 6'4 +.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Is that from the 6'2 draft time listing? If so... damn! He'll probably end up 6'4 +.

he was listed at 6'2 on the Rookie camp roster. I had always assumed those were the most up to date measurements, and reflective of how they reported on the first day, but I suppose they could be last known data prior to the camp.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Lets not pretend like Perron is slow and a bad skater..

I didn't do that though, did I?

The list of sub 180 lb forwards succeeding in the NHL without elite speed is small. Hoffman's got them.

Neither Hoffman or Perron are short, just thin. Hoffman took a long time to fill himself out - it seems like Perron has done so more quickly. I think he will emerge as an everyday NHL sometime in 2019.

I hope you're right. The way I see it there's only so many spots on a roster for small forwards who are relatively easily knocked off the puck. We've already got a few, I hope Perron's got the hands and brains to overcome it.

Neither can hockey IQ, and its not like Perron isn't fast or agile either. He's both.

Hoffman had more question marks coming out of junior imo. He had some bad habits that needed to be forcefully removed from his game before he was allowed to play in the NHL.

Perron has the same size concerns that Hoffman did, but much less of the brain concerns.

Agreed, but I also think Hoffman's raw tools stood out far more than Perron's. Don't get me wrong. I hope he's Hoffman 2.0 as much as anyone. I've just seen too many guys not live up to the billing they got after being toolsy to get my hopes up.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

iirc, didn't the first batch of kids at the draft combine have their height measurements screwed up?

Perhaps they didn't get his true height at the draft.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

I imagine it's from his 6'1.5 measurement at the combine, which was less than a month before the draft. I'm also sure he didn't grow 1.5 inches in 3 months either. Probably an inch or so, and Donovan just rounded up, as teams like to do.

Still awesome to see him growing though. If he's close to 6'3 already, could be pushing 6'4 by the time he's fully finished growing.

Just need to get the weight to catch up and he could be a terror flying down the wing with his size, speed and shot combo.

Yabob

Dec 12, 2006
Linköping
We don't know what the plan is or what has been agreed upon when it comes to Hogberg. His contract has a European re-assignment clause and he may not have been willing to come into the AHL and share starts with Driedger.

There also may have been some sort of agreement that he try out the ECHL to ease himself into the North American game. Again, we don't know and when dealing with contracts that contain Euro re-assignment clauses there's tons of possible angles to consider.

The problem with sending him back to Europe is that he still have one year left on his contract with Linkoping. So that's the only team he can play for outside of North America. And when Hogberg left for NA Linkoping signed Jonas Gustavsson as his replacement...... so returning to Sweden would probably mean limited starts.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Everything I've read and seen (albeit limited viewings) tells me that Formenton will be our number 1 or 2 prospect entering next season. This is assuming that White and Chabot have graduated.

Formenton's combo of frame, speed and skill gives him high end upside, IMO.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Nice...has a nose for the net to be sure...and those wheels!

Let's hope the trend of draft+1 players dominating their leagues continues with him.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So....what kept this Formenton kid from being a first rounder? Simply being buried on a deep team, or are there flaws to his game not shown in that video?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad