TSN: Senators looking to add a top 9 forward, willing to deal picks and prospects

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
If he's playing LW these days instead of Center, Ottawa will have less than zero interest.

Tkachuk
Stutzle
Paul
Formenton
Sanford
Ennis
Kelly

We're already playing Formenton and Ennis on the right side and pushing Kelly off the roster. Not a chance we add another LW while we're playing Logan Shaw at Center.
that is just sad :help:

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
OK, not disagreeing that if a bonus is already paid out, then that leaves less for a GM to pay out.

But, Marner's signing bonuses extend to the end of his contract which is 2024-25. So, you need an Owner willing and able to pay out signing bonuses for more than just year and until 2024-25. That seems like a completely out of character thing for Melnyk based on history. As they say, cash (and/or cash flow) is king.

Things are very different for rich/richer teams and fans of rich/richer teams versus poorer/poor teams and fans of poorer/poor teams. The perspective that fans of rich teams have is often misplaced and not applicable.
Yeah - that's what I said. 2 x $8m+ bonus cheques to write. That bit is definitely not attractive for Melnyk but from a "budget team" point of view it's a great deal. There are other budget teams out there.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Yeah - that's what I said. 2 x $8m+ bonus cheques to write. That bit is definitely not attractive for Melnyk but from a "budget team" point of view it's a great deal. There are other budget teams out there.
I was only posting about Melnyk.

I don't know what other "budget teams" would do, and can't really comment on what their cash flow situation is, or anything along those lines.

Would be nice to see Melnyk do things differently, but cash has often been the reason behind many of the moves that have been made. Not sure Marner is the kind of player that the Senators organization has in mind either based on what appears to be their draft approach & philosophy.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Is this for McTavish, Drysdale or Zegras?

I don't think people realize how much the Sens brass believe in their own drafting.

Greig or Kleven are not going to be "sacrificed" for a 28 y/o rental. The "+" is ridiculous
Pray tell?
It's been the same here with whatever club has the decent prospect pool.
The every sprem is scared phenomena

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

I don't think people realize how much the Sens brass believe in their own drafting.

Greig or Kleven are not going to be "sacrificed" for a 28 y/o rental. The "+" is ridiculous

It's a bit high, especially given Rackells struggles & the fact that the Sens likely arent in the market for a rental/high profile FA, but the value isnt awful in a vaccuum. Greig + would be a reasonable price that many contenders would happily pay. Doesn't make sense for us, though.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site

I have to admit, the Senators are a top 5 team in terms of drafting. But that doesn't mean Greig+ Kleven are more valuable than a 28 in-his-prime forward, who can be extended and not just be a rental. I don't think Greig and Kleven have boosted their stock this past year so they are still valued around that late 1st and late 2nd at best, and that is the average return for a top 2 line forward. Sorry, but they aren't blue chip prospects.

I think your response is more ridiculous... how did you feel with what they got for Logan Brown? Did you expect a lottery pick in return for this draft miss? You aren't going to be happy with the return from Boucher, Lassi, etc. in a few years with your expectations...

Reactions: Groo

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
It's a bit high, especially given Rackells struggles & the fact that the Sens likely arent in the market for a rental/high profile FA, but the value isnt awful in a vaccuum. Greig + would be a reasonable price that many contenders would happily pay. Doesn't make sense for us, though.

Rakell's talent is undeniable, but the Ducks just have a horrible offensive system the past 3 years. He's not going to be a play-driver / leader / All Star 1st liner that was hoped for, but he's a quality 2nd line scorer. With a speed demon and playmaker like Stutzle, and an offensive team like the Senators, Ricky would definitely be able to crack 25+ goals a season with his exceptional wrist shot and finishing ability.

It sounds like the Senator Fans here just want to collect prospects and are hoping to hit a home run on a free waiver wire player...

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Rakell's talent is undeniable, but the Ducks just have a horrible offensive system the past 3 years. He's not going to be a play-driver / leader / All Star 1st liner that was hoped for, but he's a quality 2nd line scorer. With a speed demon and playmaker like Stutzle, and an offensive team like the Senators, Ricky would definitely be able to crack 25+ goals a season with his exceptional wrist shot and finishing ability.

It sounds like the Senator Fans here just want to collect prospects and are hoping to hit a home run on a free waiver wire player...

Don't get me wrong, I would love to add Rackell and am confident he would be a great addition to our team. I just dont think we can pay him and I dont think were at a place where we can give up assets for a short-term addition.

I think most Sens fans are happy to just allow the team to develop, as we have so many young players who look promising in other leagues and several players who have looked promising at the NHL level.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It’s much, much closer to Rakell than any of those names listed

Of course, it was hyperbole (which I admittedly not a big fan of myself), but would you pay the Sens 3rd best prospect and a physical D specimen (Sens are very high on both guys) for a UFA-to-be and injury prone winger that had declining numbers the last few years? He's going to be 29 y/o next season too, which is an age where many forwards start declining, particularly those who have been injured often

And if we're able to extend him, what would be the contract? Would it be "proof against overpayment"? One injury and it changes everything at that age

Young promising players on ELCs already had a lot value before but this "trend" has just gotten bigger in recent history. There's a reason why teams won't trade a Heiskanen for Karlsson, no matter how elite the guy currently is. No one wants to be the next guy trading Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat

Mark my words, in 2-3 years, Ridly Greig is going to be much more valuable than Rakell, who is a player I really liked and thought was underrated before.

I'm not saying GMs can't make or won't make that type of moves but we'd regret it very soon IMO

I have to admit, the Senators are a top 5 team in terms of drafting. But that doesn't mean Greig+ Kleven are more valuable than a 28 in-his-prime forward, who can be extended and not just be a rental. I don't think Greig and Kleven have boosted their stock this past year so they are still valued around that late 1st and late 2nd at best, and that is the average return for a top 2 line forward. Sorry, but they aren't blue chip prospects.

I think your response is more ridiculous... how did you feel with what they got for Logan Brown? Did you expect a lottery pick in return for this draft miss? You aren't going to be happy with the return from Boucher, Lassi, etc. in a few years with your expectations...

See above. I have been projecting prospects for decades (and often to make money on Ebay, I play with it like I play with stocks), I used to be a lot more "hit and miss" but with time, I get wrong less often. I'm not sure yet if Kleven can be more than a bottom pairing physical D-man but watch out for Greig.

If you think "they are still valued around that late 1st and late 2nd at best", you just haven't been paying close attention.

Logan Brown had value before. Dorion is probably the worst asset manager among NHL GMs. He has no idea when to buy low and sell high. Sure, players are not like stocks/crypto but you have to think in terms of assets too... That being said, Logan Brown has "excuses"... any prospect who becomes that injury prone and miss 10+ months of development because of a pandemic on top of it will be negatively impacted. Look at Brown's number of games played since being drafted... He missed way too much development time

My post was ridiculous because hyperbole is ridiculous, not sure why I used hyperbole because I don't like it much myself

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
So was there a bottom line consensus on a front runner here?
NYR have coupla guys that fit the bill, but I'm not seeing Sens stepping up for either Krav or Strome

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Habs would be going rebuild if they start moving out guys they recently signed to term. Would the Sens prefer Anderson?

anderson is someone DJ smith would die for. His age and term makes me want to say no. Thankfully he gets a lot of money in the next three years so Melnyk will say no too.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Or some of their fans. Jeez

NHL Prospects/drafting is something that have I followed very closely for decades (and it allowed me to make an indecent amount of money on Ebay). It's pretty easy to see that the Sens drafting has been pretty good in a while. I don't always agree with their choices but in the end, they know much more than me so I give them the benefit of the doubt. So many examples where I (and others) doubted them, but we got proven wrong, again and again.

I watch these kids play and I know about their ability and development curves. There's some I don't believe in as much as others. I have a very high level of faith in Ridly Greig, a bit less for Kleven but totally understand why the Sens are quite high on him. You can bookmark this if you want.

Finally, I am among Sens fans who criticize the most Sens ownership and management, to the point that several posters find my negative takes annoying. You can think I am biased all day if you want.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad