Post-Game Talk: Senators @ Islanders - Dreamburger goalie edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Best thing, outside of the team itself, is how the entire city is buying into the team now

It's so refreshing to have people in Ottawa actually care and be happy about the Senators!

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Zibby is looking more and more like he fan fill the #1 centre position on this team permanently. The guy is pretty good in the corners. The difference between him and Turris in the dirty areas are pretty evident. Turris is pretty weak on his skates

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hammond-thankful-taking-slap-shot-head/

Look at the table.

To start a career - most games with 2 or fewer goals allowed. He tied a guy from the 1928-1929 season. He's 2 away from a guy in 1938-1939.

There are some crazy records from those times too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_records_(individual)#Goaltending

Most shutouts, one regular season: George Hainsworth, 22 (1928–29)
Longest continuous shutout by a goaltender: Alec Connell, 461 minutes, 29 seconds (7 games, 2 periods) (1927–28)
Most consecutive wins by a goaltender in his first NHL season: George Hainsworth, 11 (1926–27)
Most saves by a goaltender, in a regular season game: Sam LoPresti 80 (Mar. 4, 1941)
Most saves by a goaltender, in a playoff game: Normie Smith 92 (Mar. 24, 1936)
Most saves by a goaltender, in a playoffs overtime game shutout: Normie Smith, 92 (Mar. 24, 1936)

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Best thing, outside of the team itself, is how the entire city is buying into the team now

It's so refreshing to have people in Ottawa actually care and be happy about the Senators!
They've been caring about the team all the time, except for the lackluster play last year and in the beginning of this year. The hockey buzz is back for the first time since Alf left.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I kind of disagree that the team played well in this one. Hamburglar stole the hamb... game for us. Of course we didn't allow any breakaways, but that's the result of being in our zone all the time, especially those scary times our 4th line was out.

Michalek - Turris - Stone was our best line. All three played well. Turris was very sharp. Michalek busted his butt, just no finish unfortunately. Stone just keeps making the right play and is so good with the puck; he just makes me smile.

About Matt Puempel: isn't it interesting that the two goals (in fact the two points) he has scored have been on the rare moments where he wasn't on the 4th line with the plu... I mean with Legwand and Chiasson? I want to move him to the third line to play with Condra and Pageau. Plays go to die on Lazar's stick right now. When MacArthur is back (let's hope soon), I want to sit Chiasson and go with:

Puempel - Pageau - Condra
MacArthur - Legwand - Lazar

Which should give some balance to our bottom lines.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I kind of disagree that the team played well in this one. Hamburglar stole the hamb... game for us. Of course we didn't allow any breakaways, but that's the result of being in our zone all the time, especially those scary times our 4th line was out.

Michalek - Turris - Stone was our best line. All three played well. Turris was very sharp. Michalek busted his butt, just no finish unfortunately. Stone just keeps making the right play and is so good with the puck; he just makes me smile.

About Matt Puempel: isn't it interesting that the two goals (in fact the two points) he has scored have been on the rare moments where he wasn't on the 4th line with the plu... I mean with Legwand and Chiasson? I want to move him to the third line to play with Condra and Pageau. Plays go to die on Lazar's stick right now. When MacArthur is back (let's hope soon), I want to sit Chiasson and go with:

Agreed. It did feel like we were in our own zone for most of the game, but i don't really recall that many quality shots too be honest. It seemed like most of them came from the perimeter.

Anyways, i expected a game like this. Sens were on the back to back and the Islanders are a speedy team.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
B_TZVCwUwAANAAu.jpg:large

Me thinks this man needs to see a dentist like yesterday??/

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

I wouldnt say that. Lazar just lacks any sort of creativity. I dont want to say confidence but it seems he thinks playing like a checker is the way hes suppose to play. Guy prides himself to much on his two way play...he has to remember what got him here was his goal scoring ability

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
Zibby is looking more and more like he fan fill the #1 centre position on this team permanently. The guy is pretty good in the corners. The difference between him and Turris in the dirty areas are pretty evident. Turris is pretty weak on his skates

Same time, its painfull to watch Zibby when speed is needed.
Perfect road/back to back game again. Thats coaching. Thing we miss in MacLean era.
Hammond as starter is nobrainer here. And i would be very angry, if Karlsson not at list in final three for Norris.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I wouldnt say that. Lazar just lacks any sort of creativity. I dont want to say confidence but it seems he thinks playing like a checker is the way hes suppose to play. Guy prides himself to much on his two way play...he has to remember what got him here was his goal scoring ability
Sure, of course I'm not saying he'll always be like this. But right now he's playing like the current version of Chris Neil.

BigBush*

Perfect road/back to back game again. Thats coaching. Thing we miss in MacLean era.
Hammond as starter is nobrainer here. And i would be very angry, if Karlsson not at list in final three for Norris

No, you cannot just play a good half season and win the Norris. Even if you are the best player in the game in the second half of the season (Karlsson), you need to be consistent from game 1 to game 82 to win the trophy.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
No, you cannot just play a good half season and win the Norris. Even if you are the best player in the game in the second half of the season (Karlsson), you need to be consistent from game 1 to game 82 to win the trophy.

Mind taking a shot at the best rookie with that thought in mind.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
OT: How do I get rid of that obnoxious Liam neeson movie pop up? It's making it unreadable here. I'm using iPhone with safari.

exv91

Oct 13, 2011

You mean zibby doesn't have enough speed? I disagree. His only issue is holding onto the puck. He's got tons of speed, and an amazing shot, but still lacks in puck possession skills IMO.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Sure, of course I'm not saying he'll always be like this. But right now he's playing like the current version of Chris Neil.

Meh it's his first year. Wouldn't look too much into it.

He's got a ton of jump though, and that's why that JGP line is so hot. They all got insane jump and fight in them on the boards and puck pursuit

Is it possible to dump Lehner in the AHL prior to the start of next season? Or even a conditioning stint? Just to see if Hammond can continue his play into next season and if Lehner can outduel him in camp/preseason or not.

Last edited:

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
i must admit I bashed michalek a lot for 30 games

but what the hell happen to him since then

he picked up his game big time for sure

everybody including me love chiasson and lazar because they always smile etc but they are 1 second late on every play it seems

when mac returns one of them needs to sit

apart from that its so nice to see everybody reel in the same direction

No smith phillips neil MACLEAN you know the vet that were calming and teaching the kids lol its so refreshing

go sens go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad