Confirmed with Link: Senators inexplicably sign Brad Mills

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Possible cap shenanigans? If he has an NHL salary it's possible he can be called up, play a game and have his salary count towards the floor. Allows the team to maybe move out someone in a trade sooner rather than later.

Wouldn't that also work for all the guys currently playing in Bingo?

And who the heck is this Mills guy, anyways?

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
The reason he has only played 9 games so far this season for Bingo

AHL suspends Binghamton forward Brad Mills 20 games for violating drug policy
Tuesday, 10.28.2014 / 3:45 PM / News
The Canadian Press

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - Binghamton Senators forward Brad Mills has been suspended for 20 games for violating AHL's performance-enhancing drug policy.

The league did not say what drug Mills tested positive for.

He has already served the first four games of the suspension as he was removed from the Senators lineup after reporting his positive test result to team management last week.

He hasn't played a game this season.

Mills will be eligible to return to play on Dec. 12, 2014.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Suprised a few on here have never heard of the guy especially considering the banned substance incident...would be shocked if he got a sniff with the big club but i guess the option is there now

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I imagine he's just an extra body to have in the org in case we make a quantity-for-quality trade, and need an emergency recall candidate later in the season?

That, or another NHL team was going to sign him for depth reasons (which they totally could have, seeing as how he didn't have an NHL deal until now), and we signed him to a SPC in order to keep him in Binghamton because we value his role down there as a veteran for kids to lean on, etc...

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
well this deal is not big news, I have no Idea why people would question it, it hurts nothing.
Sounds like they want someone who will help protect the younger guys on the team and block shots on the PK. It's a tough job

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Can't believe Murray is just handing Mills the chance to centre the Ryan line.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
well this deal is not big news, I have no Idea why people would question it, it hurts nothing.
Sounds like they want someone who will help protect the younger guys on the team and block shots on the PK. It's a tough job

But he was already doing that for Bingo with his AHL contract.

That's the question.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
But he was already doing that for Bingo with his AHL contract.

That's the question.

Well, I suggested the following scenario like 4 posts ago:

That, or another NHL team was going to sign him for depth reasons (which they totally could have, seeing as how he didn't have an NHL deal until now), and we signed him to a SPC in order to keep him in Binghamton because we value his role down there as a veteran for kids to lean on, etc...

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
This move is most likely a replacement move due to the recent release of Culek. They need warm bodies. If Mills had left for another organization or just plain quit they would have had to search for a replacement and likely would have ended up costing them more. A minor move that is not deserving of a a whole thread devoted to it IMO.

Tnouc Alucard

Sep 10, 2014
First the Chara debacle, and now this? I'm done being a fan of this joke organization.

The "Chara debacle"????

Chara was offered the same contract as Redden was, but did not even respond to the offer. Chara was seeking the Captaincy as he thought he deserved it over the current Captain at the time, and as the clock struck Midnight on June 30th,he signed with Boston.

Other than stripping the Current Captain (at the time) of the captaincy, the Senators offered Chara a fair offer.

He wanted things his way, and got what he wanted in Boston.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The "Chara debacle"????

Chara was offered the same contract as Redden was, but did not even respond to the offer. Chara was seeking the Captaincy as he thought he deserved it over the current Captain at the time, and as the clock struck Midnight on June 30th,he signed with Boston.

Other than stripping the Current Captain (at the time) of the captaincy, the Senators offered Chara a fair offer.

He wanted things his way, and got what he wanted in Boston.

Regardless if the accuracies or inaccuracies in this post here, I'm pretty sure Ice-Tray was being facetious, and was just making a joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad