Prospect Info: Senators in WJC - Part Zwei

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Dunno why the American coach has so much faith in York. The guy doesn't cover anyone in front of the net. Reminds of of rookie Karlsson before December.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
I for one can't wait for the main prospect board hot takes tomorrow with Drysdale and Sanderson meeting in the final.

Reactions: Lundmark17

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Canada is going to dominate tomorrow. It will be a great test for Sanderson to see where he’s at against all these first round picks Canada has out there.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
York pisses me off so much, not sure how the hell he is the best dman. Every time he was on the ice Finland was killing them on the forecheck.

Sanderson-Faber should be their top pair.

York has a few flashes offensively but his mistakes in neutral zone and defensive zone are puzzling like crazy. Hellesson drives me crazy when he plays with Sanderson.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Kaliyev has been busting his ass the last few games. Using his size and reach on the forecheck to create space for his teammates. he's also a great passer.

glad to see him rewarded. thats a 40 goal scorers shot

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
The original poster made a claim that some people seek instant gratification of popular names instead of trusting the scouts. The tone of the sentence implied that trusting the scouts was the superior option. I am curious if someone can actually explain why? Is there an old data set I can look at from prior years that shows that our picks are better than the instant gratification popular names? More generally, why should I trust the scouts at all? You just claimed that I have no reason to believe Bob McKenzie's scouts have strong predictive power, and his scouts are NHL scouts, so they belong to the same subset of scouts as our scouts.

I do not care about WJC performance. With that being said, on this board, I do see a lot of people saying "trust the scouts" or some variant, and I am wondering why I should do that? What is the evidence?

Since I was the "original poster" who made that comment, I will clarify.

It is not necessarily that us internet folks cannot have a "right" opinion, and plenty of times in the past, the armchair G.M has made a better pick than the actual G.M (see Lee over Kopitar).

In this instance however, it is way too early to be claiming that anybody is right or wrong, hence where my "trust the scouts" comment comes in. You and others are still entitled to an opinion, but as a fan of the Senators I "trust" that Dorion and the scouts had done their research/scouting and felt that Jarventie was a must have prospect, otherwise why even pick him? They knew Peterka was there, and decided to pass on him, rightly or wrongly I will wait and see how it plays out.

Hope that clears it up.

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Ville Heniola looks like a top pairing D. Taken at 20. Of course we took another Finnish D-man at 19.

Reactions: bert

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
What a shot

Pinto would have gloved that easily.

Yep, 100%. Was selfishly hoping he’d hav a chance to redeem himself a bit but he certainly didn’t earn one.

Just not ready to play in this tournament. Which is surprising considering how he is able to play (well) in the Liiga. In hindsight, he shouldn't have been selected.

Just one of the reasons this tournament is so full of surprises every year.

It's funny how, for the most part, the players who have impressed this tournament are the ones who played in it last year.

Isn't the story pretty much every year though? It's mostly the exceptionnals that are able to be good before 19

You can see how Brad Lambert is going to be good.

Maybe the extra traffic on small ice confuses him?

Angles are very different for goalies on both ices. Askarov might not be able to find his "marks". Goaltending is a very cerebral position, yes athleticism, technique, reflexes, spatial awareness, combativity, etc but it's mostly mental.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The original poster made a claim that some people seek instant gratification of popular names instead of trusting the scouts. The tone of the sentence implied that trusting the scouts was the superior option. I am curious if someone can actually explain why? Is there an old data set I can look at from prior years that shows that our picks are better than the instant gratification popular names? More generally, why should I trust the scouts at all? You just claimed that I have no reason to believe Bob McKenzie's scouts have strong predictive power, and his scouts are NHL scouts, so they belong to the same subset of scouts as our scouts.

I do not care about WJC performance. With that being said, on this board, I do see a lot of people saying "trust the scouts" or some variant, and I am wondering why I should do that? What is the evidence?

Generally speaking, people that do something for a living are better at that thing than people that do that thing for a hobby. Not all, but generally that's true.

There's a popular saying on the board about blind squirrels finding a nut, another about broken clocks being right twice a day.

Guys that hit on some pick will keep reminding you of it...that's human nature

I had X over Y back in 2015. Super. There were 69 other draft picks last decade, how'd they work out?

There are guys that have made their way from the amateur analytics world into the professional hockey world. I think that's great. But in terms of scouting, it's a bit of a closed network...with reason. You have to have grown up in the hockey world to have the insight to do the job so you're already inside.

Based on your user name, if you want to rake a crack at applying analytics to this world, go for it, you may well be better than some guys that do it for a living and there are example of stats guys plucked from the hobby world into doing it for a living

But if your looking at it in terms of being a talent evaluator....ya there just aren't really examples of armchair hobbyists becoming pros...and there's a reason for that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad