News Article: Senators Don’t Have Space for Chlapik

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
List has alot of shiny new toy syndrome though he is still a good prospect.
Yeah, guys like Paul, Wolanin and Lajoie have been pushed down the list even though they're NHL ready players. That's nothing new. Personally, I vote on upside; others don't, its not a big deal. We shouldn't take these rankings too seriously. The article is clickbaity and doesn't even address that Chlapik can easily just move to the wing as he has in the past. Our LW is pretty dog shit and I expect he'll play there this year at some point. He's smart and skilled enough to be molded into any role the team wants him in.

"tHeRe's ToO mUcH TaLeNt HeRe" is such is stupid argument. We need everything. Chlapik is not a victim of numbers here. He may not cut it, but the argument that we can't make room for his talents is just crazy. Garbage article with a ton of ads. No surprise. They're fishing for our clicks.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
It's a terrible article and it's not news either. The situation is simple. If Chlapik can demonstrate he's good enough for the NHL, the team will find a way to get him into the lineup. It might take a trade, a move to the wing or scratching a regular but they'll get him in if he's ready. There's always injuries to get prospects a chance to prove themselves. If he's not NHL ready, he can play in Belleville.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It's a terrible article and it's not news either. The situation is simple. If Chlapik can demonstrate he's good enough for the NHL, the team will find a way to get him into the lineup. It might take a trade, a move to the wing or scratching a regular but they'll get him in if he's ready. There's always injuries to get prospects a chance to prove themselves. If he's not NHL ready, he can play in Belleville.

Bingo. There's really not much here to discuss. Chlapik will either make a case to be on the roster, or he won't.

If his play is good enough for him to deserve an NHL roster spot (that doesn't hurt his development - for instance, having him here as the 13th forward makes no sense), and we've got a temporary logjam ahead of him in the form of centers who are short-term players on their way to being traded out of town (Anisimov, potentially one of Tierney/Pageau, possibly others?), then he'll still get to play top-line minutes in the AHL, build his confidence at that level, and bide his time until we make room for him, and we'll get him up to the big club sooner than later.

If his play doesn't force us to move a player on the worst team in the NHL to make room for him, then he doesn't deserve an NHL job.

It's not hard. This is how prospects work.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I guess he briefly touches on some of this, but:

1. Chlapik plays both center and LW.
2. Tierney and Pageau; one will likely be traded.
3. Norris, Pinto and to a lesser degree White can be moved to the wing.
4. Anisimov is unlikely to be in the teams long term plans. Could be traded this deadline or next.

I think the biggest issue for Chlapik is that Tkachuk and Formenton will likely take up two long term LW spots, so if Duclair works out that option gets removed for Chlapik. Balcers or Abramov could also remove that option.

Up the middle, Brown is a center or bust. So we hope that's one spot that will never open up for Chlapik. White is currently taking another but could move to the right side if it makes sense to.

For Chlapik to make it, he needs to beat somebody out. There aren't enough spots in the roster for everyone, but that's alright because not all our prospects will turn out. I doubt very much that Chlapik will be squeezed out because we have too many NHL quality top 9 players with more upside than him, it will be because he doesn't show what it takes to be an NHL quality top 9 player, imo.

Either way, it's a good problem to have.
He can be a utility guy . He just has to bide his time and keep improving. IMO he has what it takes to stand out in Belleville this year ..even as a 2C. Just like most players he has to be ready to take advantage of what opportunities he gets. I like him and hope the Sens keep him around. Norris and Pinto haven't really passed him yet. Brown is pretty gifted offensively but Chlapik is a guy who can play any forward position up and down the lineup so that gives him a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad