News Article: Senators Don’t Have Space for Chlapik

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Good article... interesting situation

The Ottawa Senators have a deeper prospect pool now than they’ve ever had before. And while that’s only a positive for the Senators organization, it can be a hindrance to players looking to emerge in the NHL. Filip Chlapik currently finds himself in this position.
The Senators having an abundance of centres in their system. On their NHL roster, they have their four centre spots seemingly filled out with Artem Anisimov, Colin White, Chris Tierney, and Jean-Gabriel Pageau down the middle. Outside of the NHL, the Senators also have centre prospects Logan Brown, Josh Norris, Chlapik and recently drafted Shane Pinto.

https://thehockeywriters.com/senators-chlapik-no-roster-room-2019/

BY MATT MALOVIC

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Good article... interesting situation

The Ottawa Senators have a deeper prospect pool now than they’ve ever had before. And while that’s only a positive for the Senators organization, it can be a hindrance to players looking to emerge in the NHL. Filip Chlapik currently finds himself in this position.
The Senators having an abundance of centres in their system. On their NHL roster, they have their four centre spots seemingly filled out with Artem Anisimov, Colin White, Chris Tierney, and Jean-Gabriel Pageau down the middle. Outside of the NHL, the Senators also have centre prospects Logan Brown, Josh Norris, Chlapik and recently drafted Shane Pinto.

https://thehockeywriters.com/senators-chlapik-no-roster-room-2019/

BY MATT MALOVIC
Add to that a couple of 2020 high picks as well. I do expect tierney will be dealt. Anisimov is a placeholder for me at this point. Pageau is Heart and soul captain material. Others moved to a wing.
White, Brown, Norris, 2020 Lottery. Would be pretty strong. Chlapik could be a really strong pk guy.
Pinto is a keeper right now.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I'm fine with either way the Sens go. I take Brown and Norris over Chlapik long term, and I don't know enough about Pinto but he could be a good 3C in the future.

Either keep him until Pageau or Tierney are moved at the TDL and let him stick with the big club, or ship him out in a deal like the one that was proposed on the main board of Puju for Chlapik. OTT definitely has a lot of spots open on the wing in the future, especially RW that could be filled via trade.

Reactions: NB613 and Crosside

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I see him as a long-term 4C. I think he should be in that spot out of camp.

White
Tierney
Pageau
Chlapik

Anisimov can play wing. He's not going to be on this team when it matters, he shouldn't impact development of future players. Chlapik has been groomed for a bottom six role and has proven he is ready for that.

Reactions: Sensators and NB613

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I guess he briefly touches on some of this, but:

1. Chlapik plays both center and LW.
2. Tierney and Pageau; one will likely be traded.
3. Norris, Pinto and to a lesser degree White can be moved to the wing.
4. Anisimov is unlikely to be in the teams long term plans. Could be traded this deadline or next.

I think the biggest issue for Chlapik is that Tkachuk and Formenton will likely take up two long term LW spots, so if Duclair works out that option gets removed for Chlapik. Balcers or Abramov could also remove that option.

Up the middle, Brown is a center or bust. So we hope that's one spot that will never open up for Chlapik. White is currently taking another but could move to the right side if it makes sense to.

For Chlapik to make it, he needs to beat somebody out. There aren't enough spots in the roster for everyone, but that's alright because not all our prospects will turn out. I doubt very much that Chlapik will be squeezed out because we have too many NHL quality top 9 players with more upside than him, it will be because he doesn't show what it takes to be an NHL quality top 9 player, imo.

Either way, it's a good problem to have.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
No worries. Most centers should be able to transition to wing. No such thing as too many centers.

Besides, there's going to be a ton of roster turnover in the next two years. Prospects are going to flame out, replaceable parts will be moved, and some guys won't be re-signed when their contracts are done. If Chlapik can't break onto this roster in the next 2 years, then he simply isn't an NHLer.

Reactions: harrisb

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
When one of our centres gets injured Chlapik better step up big time and make the most of it if he wants to be a full time NHLer

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I guess he briefly touches on some of this, but:

1. Chlapik plays both center and LW.
2. Tierney and Pageau; one will likely be traded.
3. Norris, Pinto and to a lesser degree White can be moved to the wing.
4. Anisimov is unlikely to be in the teams long term plans. Could be traded this deadline or next.

I think the biggest issue for Chlapik is that Tkachuk and Formenton will likely take up two long term LW spots, so if Duclair works out that option gets removed for Chlapik. Balcers or Abramov could also remove that option.

Up the middle, Brown is a center or bust. So we hope that's one spot that will never open up for Chlapik. White is currently taking another but could move to the right side if it makes sense to.

For Chlapik to make it, he needs to beat somebody out. There aren't enough spots in the roster for everyone, but that's alright because not all our prospects will turn out. I doubt very much that Chlapik will be squeezed out because we have too many NHL quality top 9 players with more upside than him, it will be because he doesn't show what it takes to be an NHL quality top 9 player, imo.

Either way, it's a good problem to have.

Great post.

Reactions: NB613

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Tkachuk-Brown-Batherson
Duclair/Balcers-Norris-White
Formenton/Abramov-Chlapik/Pinto-Davidsson/Brown
Paul-Pageau/Chlapik-Veronneau/Carcone/Klimchuk

Plenty of options, with Crookshank, Gruden, Kelly, Kastelic knocking at the door in the near future.

Tierney should be traded in the near future too. Trade him while his value is at his highest

Anisimov, Boedker, Ryan are vets and only holding a spot until younger guys are ready for more responsibility but yes a young guy or two will have to be traded for sure, plus the guy taken in Seattle expansion.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Pageau's ok but I don't see him keeping a center spot above 4th line past this season.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
1. Pageau is a UFA this yr & given the team sucks I don't see why they would keep him & not move him at the deadline for whatever they can get.
2. Tierny has been alright, but I think most agree that he isn't in their long term plans & will probably be moved, maybe not next yr, but at some future point.
3. At 31 yrs old Anisimov is another player who is here for just a short time as well.
4. Norris IMO is the guy that if they don't move him to LW could take Chlapik's spot at centre, but that could also mean that Chlapik would be fighting with a number of guys for a LW spot. I would much rather move Norris to LW on the top line than play centre on a 3rd line.
5. Pinto is probably 2 to 3 yrs away from playing in Ottawa, if not longer or ever & I could also see him turned into a RWer more so than play centre here.
6. That leaves IMO at centre Brown, White, Chlapik or Norris & Kastelic as the future centres on this team. However, depending on who they draft in 2020, Byfield has the potential to replace any of those guys, if they are lucky enough to draft him.

Norris is a highly skilled player who can play either Centre or LW & I would like to see them move him to LW to play with Brown & Batherson. IMO that would create a decent future top line & open up a centre spot for Chlapik even if it is temporary. They won't be getting rid of Ryan anytime soon so I would have him & his playmaking skills play with Tkachuk & White to create another good line. I think they could create another decent line with Formenton & Chlapik & Conner Brown although I would prefer more of a goal scorer on the 3rd line RW. That leaves a 4th line with left overs & RW is very weak.

Norris - Brown - Batherson
Tkachuk - White - Ryan (need to replace Ryan with a better goal scoring playmaker)
Formenton - Chlapik - C. Brown (need to replace Brown with a better goal scorer)
Paul - Kastelic - RW ??? ( need a big tough RWer who can produce at the NHL level)

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Pageau will for sure be traded... the only reason he hasn’t yet is because he’s a good vet to have around the kids and cause he hasn’t fallen UFA yet. He should be able to get us a 2nd+ this deadline. I suspect Brown will be up full time by that point in time.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Pageau, Boedker, Tierney, Ennis could all be traded by the deadline. More than enough space.

March 2020 roster could be something like this.

Tkachuk - White - Duclair
Balcers - Anisimov - Brown
Paul/Formenton - Brown - Batherson
Ryan - Chlapik - Davidsson/ Abramov

Reactions: BonkTastic

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
We have a glut of centres but so far as development I’d say Chappie is first call up. Brown needs to marinate and Norris is still in college. Someone is likely to move at the deadline (pageau or tierney).

Duclair although not a centre is someone we need to hold on to, we lack high end skill and he’s just that. Stick almost any young centre without a supporting cast and they’ll struggle, I’m more concerned about the wings right now. D looks solid moving forward

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Pageau, Boedker, Tierney, Ennis could all be traded by the deadline. More than enough space.

March 2020 roster could be something like this.

Tkachuk - White - Duclair
Balcers - Anisimov - Brown
Paul/Formenton - Brown - Batherson
Ryan - Chlapik - Davidsson/ Abramov
I think Norris is in that lineup, and Davidson pushes this year (not sure about his contract status in Europe)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We have a glut of centres but so far as development I’d say Chappie is first call up. Brown needs to marinate and Norris is still in college. Someone is likely to move at the deadline (pageau or tierney).

Duclair although not a centre is someone we need to hold on to, we lack high end skill and he’s just that. Stick almost any young centre without a supporting cast and they’ll struggle, I’m more concerned about the wings right now. D looks solid moving forward

I dunno. I'm starting to get a bit impatient with Brown. I know he's missed time with injuries and has a different development curve filling out his big frame and all of that...but someone who we're counting on to be a core member of the team really shouldn't need more than one year of AHL seasoning. I could see a second year if he was a defenseman or goalie. Logan really has to show something good this fall. If he doesn't start with the team, he needs to be good enough to be a callup by xmas and mainstay by the end of the season, of I'll really start to worry.

Chlapik is a bit different. We knew when we drafted him that he was considered somewhat raw and a project. He still doesn't really have a defined trajectory yet.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Norris signed his ELC so he is ineligible for college hockey. He'll be in Belleville.

Ottawa Senators Sign Josh Norris to Entry-Level Contract

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Chlapik is a hard guy to gauge. Hes got the skill level and some compete, but it just feels like something is missing to me...

I feel like we've seen this same story before with Matt Puemple and Shane Prince. These guys always seemed like they were always on the verge of taking the next step and making the big league full time, but they were never actually able to beat out an NHL regular for their job when it came down to it.

Id love for him to prove me wrong this year, but I feel like he has a growing list of talented young players to compete with now, and hes going to have to break out in a big way soon to stay relevant in this organization.

Batherson
Balcers
L. Brown
Paul
Norris
Formenton
Davidsson

Could all conceivably be ahead of him by the time the season starts if he doesn't have a huge training camp.

Reactions: DrEasy

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
According to this board hes our 16th best prospect. In normal times you might have 2-3 prospects crack the roster each season. Doesn't seem all that newsworthy....

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
According to this board hes our 16th best prospect. In normal times you might have 2-3 prospects crack the roster each season. Doesn't seem all that newsworthy....
He was our 8th best just one year ago. The news I guess is that our depth has improved.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
He hasn’t proven to be NHL ready so this is a none issue. If he does this year then room will be made no doubt. There’s more holes in our line up then Swiss cheese.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad