Post-Game Talk: Senators @ Capitals | Injuries? Nah, playoffs!

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I was honestly so surprised with how the Caps played yesterday.

A very dirty game, imo. Ovechkin was breaking sticks on Karlsson's back, they were taking really dirty cheapshots like the elbow to the back of Neil's head and the punch to Silfverberg's face!

Also, how the HELL was that not a penalty!?!? Let alone a suspension. The guy punched Silfverberg as he was about to shoot, wtf.

The slew foot was disgtustin to see as well. Ovechkin was even taking shots at Karlsson when he was not anywhere near the puck and Karlsson would raise his arms at him like "wow, really?"

I only watched the highlights and after the Michalek chance (that eventually led to the Ribeiro penalty late in the game), I believe it was Carlson who swung at the back of Michalek's head.

I'm pretty sure it was a strategy they tried to implement for this game since they were outplayed the previous matchup. I don't think they have the roster to do this really though. It's going to be interesting if we do end up playing them in the playoffs.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I only watched the highlights and after the Michalek chance (that eventually led to the Ribeiro penalty late in the game), I believe it was Carlson who swung at the back of Michalek's head.

I'm pretty sure it was a strategy they tried to implement for this game since they were outplayed the previous matchup. I don't think they have the roster to do this really though. It's going to be interesting if we do end up playing them in the playoffs.

Watch how the Leafs beat us in the last game. They collapsed to protect the slot, and manhandled anyone in the slot. I remember one of them putting a headlock on our player and dropping to the ice to prevent our player from waiting for a rebound. They allowed a ton of shots from the periphery. And they played a physical game overall with some post-whistle intimidation.

The Caps seemed to leave our points alone, collapsing in the crease as well. And all of the unprovoked facewashing, sucker punches, cross-checks and slashing was obviously meant to rattle our players.

They missed an element, and I think that was pressuring the puck carrier and punishing them with a big body cheque, with another forward supporting the checker to pick up the loose puck. Washington's tough guy act had no tie to the flow of the game, it seemed misplaced and an afterthought.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Watch how the Leafs beat us in the last game. They collapsed to protect the slot, and manhandled anyone in the slot. I remember one of them putting a headlock on our player and dropping to the ice to prevent our player from waiting for a rebound. They allowed a ton of shots from the periphery. And they played a physical game overall with some post-whistle intimidation.

The Caps seemed to leave our points alone, collapsing in the crease as well. And all of the unprovoked facewashing, sucker punches, cross-checks and slashing was obviously meant to rattle our players.

They missed an element, and I think that was pressuring the puck carrier and punishing them with a big body cheque, with another forward supporting the checker to pick up the loose puck. Washington's tough guy act had no tie to the flow of the game, it seemed misplaced and an afterthought.

I think the difference between Washington and Toronto games is Karlsson.

Like you said Toronto collapsed in front of their nets and did a good job removing rebounds but we had absolutely no threat from the back-end. Had Karlsson been getting the chances our D had that game he could have scored a couple of lasers and confused the collapsing defense finding a player sneaking back-door cause they' have to respect his shot. The reason we scored both goals were cause of Karlsson tonight. Setting up the first and drawing attention on the second giving Gonchar more room for the shot.

Heck, it would change their entire gameplan cause they'd try and pressure him.

Basically what I'm saying is that Caps played similar game to the Leafs but we got better chances tonight cause our defense confused their forwards forcing them to challenge the shooter and open up passing lanes etc...

Senacus Maximus

Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
I heard they played an "All that Remains" song in the 1st period... I was like wtf?

A great(IMO) metal band that has gone considerably more mainstream lately. Their new album has a few songs that could be played in public and not offend anyone.

Frankly, I'm pleasantly surprised that they would play a song by them.

Last edited:

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
LOL I got bored and took a trip to the Caps board to read their post game chatter. Apparently we took cheap shots, turtled and dove all night ..... Erskine would destroy Neil in a fight and Ribero is a bad ass.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
LOL I got bored and took a trip to the Caps board to read their post game chatter. Apparently we took cheap shots, turtled and dove all night ..... Erskine would destroy Neil in a fight and Ribero is a bad ass.

Don't forget them applauding Erskine going after our "50yr old" captain after the whistle lol.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
It's not a trap! We're just good at perimeter play and little else :sarcasm:

Actually it's pretty fascinating (maybe funny is a better word for it) how perceptions are skewed by different fan bases. I'm not excluding us from this as well, it's true across the board. The same recorded event is most of the time viewed completely different depending where you come from.

I think a Washington - Ottawa playoff would be a lot of fun as we are already getting a completely different opinions in just a game or two.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Looooooool, came to post this. We took cheap shots and the officiating was the worst of any game this year.

Forget about the Green slew foot no call, the elbow to the back of the neck on Neil, the punch to Silfverberg's face etc...

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
LOL I got bored and took a trip to the Caps board to read their post game chatter. Apparently....Ribero is a bad ass.
Yeah lots were praising Ribeiro, honestly it should be use singing his praises. His selfish play and attitude resulted in our GWG. Thank you Mr.Ribeiro.

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
Looooooool, came to post this. We took cheap shots and the officiating was the worst of any game this year.

Forget about the Green slew foot no call, the elbow to the back of the neck on Neil, the punch to Silfverberg's face etc...

I also had a few chuckles reading their board. Sens are the most boring, luckiest team that gets all the calls from refs. Their players are bad ass and should never be penalized. I think those are the coles notes.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
I also had a few chuckles reading their board. Sens are the most boring, luckiest team that gets all the calls from refs. Their players are bad ass and should never be penalized. I think those are the coles notes.

I think when you're not a tough team, your fans just don't really know how to react to those plays. Caps fans have never been called the brightest, one guy on their board said that Oleksy shouldn't have gotten penalized for cold-cocking Silfverberg in front of the net.

The fairy tales about Erskine destroying Neil are a little much, but expected.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I think when you're not a tough team, your fans just don't really know how to react to those plays. Caps fans have never been called the brightest, one guy on their board said that Oleksy shouldn't have gotten penalized for cold-cocking Silfverberg in front of the net.

The fairy tales about Erskine destroying Neil are a little much, but expected.

oleksy-super-punch.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad