GDT: Senators @ Capitals | Dec. 22 | 7:00PM EST | TSN5, RDS

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
The PP being so awful certainly is concerning

We have some quality posters on here in terms of hockey analysis, does anyone have any kind of insight as to what they think the problem is?

As far as tonight's game goes one thing really stood out to me:

If Patrcik Weircioch does not have the puck on his stick he is a serious liability. He is not an NHL quality player if you ask me, not as it stands now.

The problem is, he has been poorly developed with regards to ice time up here. He has had to ride the pine for most of the last two seasons because of Chris Phillips. We need to get Wiercioch into games, if not to develop him, then yo show him off as a prospective trade piece. Wiercioch could be a pretty good defender, if he was actually given some time. He is not Ceci by any means, but not bad.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He is slow and weak but is pretty smart as evidenced by his excellent passing

That means he can see the mistake he did but can do nothing about it

If he doesn't have the puck he is not helping this team win: he's just another, not quite as good, David Rundblad

Get rid of him ASAP

SenatorArmy*

we should make a trade with Chicago to get Rundblad back. He should be coming into his own sometime soon. A Karlsson/Rundblad pairing could be magical. YEAH!

SenatorArmy*

As for the game tonight we nearly doubled the Caps in shots on goal. Play like that every night & you're going to come away with a win more often than not. This is the kind of loss you put behind you & come out the next game playing the exact same way.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
But everyone here is saying we suck, and aren't playing any better than we were under MacLean. You must not be paying attention. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, we didn't quite outplay Washington, but we were pretty good tonight. Too many posters on here are just looking at the results and letting whatever bias they have take over from there.

Well, i actually watched the game. How many scoring chances we create outside first PP and first period ? All we do is dump puck in, chase it, lose it. Our forward group is playing like this is first games of the season. No chemistry at all. I guess they learn some new Cameroon systems. But we need upgrade on scoring more than upgrade on D. D not losing us games, low scoring is.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
we should make a trade with Chicago to get Rundblad back. He should be coming into his own sometime soon. A Karlsson/Rundblad pairing could be magical. YEAH!

Runblad is alright playing on a 3rd pair. No way this guy can play with Karlsson.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
But everyone here is saying we suck, and aren't playing any better than we were under MacLean. You must not be paying attention. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, we didn't quite outplay Washington, but we were pretty good tonight. Too many posters on here are just looking at the results and letting whatever bias they have take over from there.

Don't let your eyes fool you. Holtby is a real showman out there. He plays aggressively and makes exaggerated movements to make routine saves look like big ones. He hardly had any hard stops to make out there last night.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Full marks to the effort from last night that's for sure. Hard time seeing this team finish without a top ten pick this year (ideally top 5) more skill is badly needed!

One thing i noticed was how poorly outmatched physically Gryba was with Ovi which eventually led to the game winner. Not sure about Gryba these days, very slow and rarily plays the body at all, from a guy who's size you figure would play into his game. From the first shift Gryba took i could tell he was going to get schooled all night, which pretty much was the case.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Don't let your eyes fool you. Holtby is a real showman out there. He plays aggressively and makes exaggerated movements to make routine saves look like big ones. He hardly had any hard stops to make out there last night.

from my count, we had 19 shots within the home plate area (thats just six less than all of Washington's shots, , many of them rebounds and passes to get the goalie moving side to side. Holtby was very strong positionally, credit where it's do. He robbed MacArthur early on, made another big stop on him shortly after, and had a couple strong chances against from Ryan and Turris.

Showboat or not, Holtby played extremely well and without him playing the way he did there's probably a different result to that game. We created enough chances to score, sometimes you just don't get the bounces.

In fact, looking at the shot charts, we had about 10 shots from the blueline, 1 shot from the halfwall, and the rest were from within the dots, or pretty close to it. A few were from tight angles in deep, but there were still about 20-25 shots from good shoting positions.

simplefan

May 25, 2008
I dont know about you guys but I felt Karlsson was really good defensively. He could have done more offensively but its not his fault. I saw the hustle, the great stick, the positional play, the ones on ones

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Caps switched into defensive mode after second goal. We were outplayed badly in the second when the game was tied.

The Caps rallied after their atrocious first period.

Overall, Ottawa had the run of play for most of the game and Holtby was the difference.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

We have some quality posters on here in terms of hockey analysis, does anyone have any kind of insight as to what they think the problem is?

Powerplay percentages aren't about consistency but more about periods of hot and cold.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Meh, I'm not sure how valuable my analysis is, but to me we don't have a legit playmaking forward to properly run a cycling powerplay, and we don't have enough big heavy shots from the point to run a shooting powerplay.

It's an oddly built PP... not quite "Island of Misfit Toys" or anything, it's not that bad, but we've got great shooters from the circle without the guys to get them the puck, and guys who are good burying rebounds, but no serious point shots to create those rebounds.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
One thing i noticed was how poorly outmatched physically Gryba was with Ovi which eventually led to the game winner. Not sure about Gryba these days, very slow and rarily plays the body at all, from a guy who's size you figure would play into his game. From the first shift Gryba took i could tell he was going to get schooled all night, which pretty much was the case.

Gryba does not take a regular shift on a contending team.

That much is obvious.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Meh, I'm not sure how valuable my analysis is, but to me we don't have a legit playmaking forward to properly run a cycling powerplay, and we don't have enough big heavy shots from the point to run a shooting powerplay.

It's an oddly built PP... not quite "Island of Misfit Toys" or anything, it's not that bad, but we've got great shooters from the circle without the guys to get them the puck, and guys who are good burying rebounds, but no serious point shots to create those rebounds.

Karlsson has a wicked slapper but he doesn't elect to use it as much anymore. He tends to try to wrist a shot through traffic now.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
The Caps rallied after their atrocious first period.

Overall, Ottawa had the run of play for most of the game and Holtby was the difference.

Not how I saw it. Wsh gave no time or space to create any quality chances for us. They were pushing us around all game no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad