Low Effort GDT Senators @ Canucks - 10PM EST - TSN5/RDS - Battle of the basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So they sure are making an example of White for whatever reason.. DJ does not want him in the lineup. They have to move on from him if thats the case .. its stupid but what can you do.. Can't teach smart.

Reactions: badi and Icelevel

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So they sure are making an example of White for whatever reason.. DJ does not want him in the lineup. They have to move on from him if thats the case .. its stupid but what can you do.. Can't teach smart.
We just got to convince the league that this is all the result of a contract dispute and not based on the merit of his play, then we can land Laine +...

Reactions: DrEasy

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I don't get it. Young Anisimov was a decent player, but even that version was hardly worth abandoning your supposed meritocracy over, let alone alone this f***ing version.

Anyone still suggesting that DJ coaches based on accountability and meritocracy after seeing Anisimov elevated and then maintained in the lineup despite poor performance doesn’t have much capacity for critical thought.

Last edited:

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
But White was a fine player. I don't feel like he's forgotten how to play. The whole White situation is bizarre.

Reactions: badi and DrEasy

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
At least Haley got bounced all the way from Logan Stanley's rear end all the way to the press box but this lineup still sucks.

Artisimov was easily our worst player last game and he plays on the second line? Totally insane.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
But White was a fine player. I don't feel like he's forgotten how to play. The whole White situation is bizarre.

Trevor Shackles asks "at what point does DJ's handling of White become a major indictment of Dorion who signed him to a 6 year deal?"
Dorion backing him 110% is about to be tested you'd think

Reactions: Deku

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Anisimov must be a f***ing horse in practice or whatever. There must be something we're missing. What I didnt miss is him getting beat plenty of times for goals since the start of the season, him being too slow for OT and still being out there.

Like, I dont even hate the guy, good pro, great career, but for the 100th time, we arent making the playoffs or even fighting for that. I don't know why they are crushing White's already low confidence. Could go on and on about the favorable treatment Anisimov gets compared to White but it's useless.

I'll stay watching from my couch scratching my head at these decisions while we continue to lose and not give ice to young guys.

BuT wE hAvE a ToP LiNe FuLl oF KiDs blablabla. Yeah true, doesnt make any more sense that we have better options sitting on the sidelines than vets playing. I'm actually happy media is starting to see it too at least. Well aside from Garrioch obviously.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
"move on from him" ... ie either trade or buy out ... will be the ultimate example of "selling low" on a player. So, I really hope not.

I am really hoping that five years form now, when Colin White is in the final year of his contract, DJ Smith and Pierre Dorion are just distant memories for both him and the Sens fanbase.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
DJ was definitely gonna go with a paquette stepan watson fourth line of not for paquette injured

For sure.

And looking at the stats bears out what we've seen on the ice.

Watson, Anisimov and Paquette start 76.5, 75 and 64.7 % of their starts in the Ozone respectively. That is hugely tilted deployment in favour of the offensive zone. Yet they hemorrhage pucks towards OUR net with Fenwick For at 28.9, 40.5 and 26.2 %. I'm not a fan of all the advanced stats but when the eye test tells you they're getting destroyed and the stats make it seem even worse than you thought, there's something there. Change is needed.

But I also have so many questions:

1) Why are we giving Ozone starts to these 4th liners?
2) I thought these guys were supposed to be good defensively; why does the puck almost always go from the opps end to our end with them on the ice?
3) How have Paquette and Watson played every single game so far?

Reactions: Hale The Villain

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
For sure.

And looking at the stats bears out what we've seen on the ice.

Watson, Anisimov and Paquette start 76.5, 75 and 64.7 % of their starts in the Ozone respectively. That is hugely tilted deployment in favour of the offensive zone. Yet they hemorrhage pucks towards OUR net with Fenwick For at 28.9, 40.5 and 26.2 %. I'm not a fan of all the advanced stats but when the eye test tells you they're getting destroyed and the stats make it seem even worse than you thought, there's something there. Change is needed.

But I also have so many questions:

1) Why are we giving Ozone starts to these 4th liners?
2) I thought these guys were supposed to be good defensively; why does the puck almost always go from the opps end to our end with them on the ice?
3) How have Paquette and Watson played every single game so far?
Jeez. So much for that Watson elite forecheck I was hearing about today.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
"move on from him" ... ie either trade or buy out ... will be the ultimate example of "selling low" on a player. So, I really hope not.

I am really hoping that five years form now, when Colin White is in the final year of his contract, DJ Smith and Pierre Dorion are just distant memories for both him and the Sens fanbase.

Well its not like White is old, and regardless of what his critics think showed plenty of promise as an NHL player. .. but not playing him on the worst team in the NHL with that contract would make him untradeable... The moving on , I think should be to waive him and let him play in the AHL if they are not going to play him here. He is young and needs to play..

Look 8 minutes spot duty on the 4th line with no real offensive wingers is not letting White play..again regardless what his critics say. He made a nifty play in his last game sending Paquette in one on one with the goalie.. so low level opportunities still resulted in a scoring chance. Two of his other few shifts resulted with plays at the net that he started. DJ does not have faith in him obviously. White coming off a sub par year looking to rebound is the kind of player that needs confidence. DJ blew that the f up already.. For a coach that is supposed to be here for the rebuild and to work with young players he's doing a hell of a job putting his vet pet Anisimov in a position to succeed , and White well .. not even close to that.

Reactions: Burrowsaurus

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa

I think the problem is, any team that takes him on will (understandably) want the Sens to retain a sizeable portion of his salary owed for the remainder of the contract. But the Sens can buy him out next offseason at the 1/3-remaining-amount age discount rather than the typical for older players 2/3 buyout rate.

Which is to say if another team is trying to make Ottawa retain even 40% of that contract or take back a comparable bad-money contract... Ottawa is better off holding him until the next buyout window.

They can't 'move on' from him unless they find a partner whose demands on retention or returned salary are better than the status quo of an offseason buyout. And I don't think any such takers exist.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think the problem is, any team that takes him on will (understandably) want the Sens to retain a sizeable portion of his salary owed for the remainder of the contract. But the Sens can buy him out next offseason at the 1/3-remaining-amount age discount rather than the typical for older players 2/3 buyout rate.

Which is to say if another team is trying to make Ottawa retain even 40% of that contract or take back a comparable bad-money contract... Ottawa is better off holding him until the next buyout window.

They can't 'move on' from him unless they find a partner whose demands on retention or returned salary are better than the status quo of an offseason buyout. And I don't think any such takers exist.
like I said waive him let him play in the AHL when that gets going

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Should have traded him for PLD

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Well its not like White is old, and regardless of what his critics think showed plenty of promise as an NHL player. .. but not playing him on the worst team in the NHL with that contract would make him untradeable... The moving on , I think should be to waive him and let him play in the AHL if they are not going to play him here. He is young and needs to play..

Look 8 minutes spot duty on the 4th line with no real offensive wingers is not letting White play..again regardless what his critics say. He made a nifty play in his last game sending Paquette in one on one with the goalie.. so low level opportunities still resulted in a scoring chance. Two of his other few shifts resulted with plays at the net that he started. DJ does not have faith in him obviously. White coming off a sub par year looking to rebound is the kind of player that needs confidence. DJ blew that the f up already.. For a coach that is supposed to be here for the rebuild and to work with young players he's doing a hell of a job putting his vet pet Anisimov in a position to succeed , and White well .. not even close to that.
Yeah, I hadn't thought of just waiving him.

I really think DJ Smith is just trying to show himself to be a "no nonsense.... old school.... my way or the highway ... tough love..... <whatever>" type coach that players fear and respect. And he's chosen to use Colin White as his victim to create this appearance.

Which would be fine if it wasn't so obviously stupid.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think we can all agree that both White and Arty Party suck

Time to get Brown up here for Chlapik

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Me coming into the GDT and seeing Anisimov still centering the 2nd line.

zGHQb4O.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad