Sportsnet: Senators begin to shed basement brand with transformative off-season

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I love Brannstrom, but that whole one year Stone deal to UFA status was insane and a classic f***up. Especially given how late the Vegas trade happened. Appeared to be zero planning until the last minute.
I've always found this astonishingly. Why would you wait until the absolute 11th hour? If you couldn't get a deal done in the summer, both he and Stone should have been dealt. Mind boggling to let it get so close.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I've always found this astonishingly. Why would you wait until the absolute 11th hour? If you couldn't get a deal done in the summer, both he and Stone should have been dealt. Mind boggling to let it get so close.
Dorion genuinely thought he was going to get Stone long term. It’s why he gave him the one year deal ahead of the arb hearing. He wanted to maintain goodwill. The problem was he couldn’t get Melnyk sign off on the required dollars to go long term.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Crazy that we need to stress about this already and 3 of those guys haven't even made an impact and proven to be worthy of a full time spot.

Am I the only one that isn't buying into the Batherson/Wolanin future superstars hype?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Has Melnyk put up this off season. We know he'll never shut up, but...has he redeemed himself at all?
He may have a little. Signing players to extensions has always been a sore spot for the fanbase, the fact that he is resigning some key players is a step in the right direction. Now if he can keep Leblanc around for more than a year and maybe even get PD some front office support, people's opinions could change quicker than we would think.

Now, if he can just keep his mouth shut and stay out of the news, things can only keep getting better. Unfortunately, I dont that see that happening any time soon.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Am I the only one that isn't buying into the Batherson/Wolanin future superstars hype?
I dont know if there is any "future superstar hype", but I think both are pretty solid bets to become good pros. Wolanin may be this team's second best dman when next season starts.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I dont know if there is any "future superstar hype", but I think both are pretty solid bets to become good pros. Wolanin may be this team's second best dman when next season starts.

I don't doubt that they won't be good pros. I'm just not sure what suggests that their contracts are going to be particularly difficult.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I am not as high on Batherson as many seem to be, and I think Wolanin's ceiling is limited at this point, but I do expect them to both be full time capable NHLers at minimum.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He may have a little. Signing players to extensions has always been a sore spot for the fanbase, the fact that he is resigning some key players is a step in the right direction. Now if he can keep Leblanc around for more than a year and maybe even get PD some front office support, people's opinions could change quicker than we would think.

Now, if he can just keep his mouth shut and stay out of the news, things can only keep getting better. Unfortunately, I dont that see that happening any time soon.

Not really Melnyk’s strong suit, is it.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I am not as high on Batherson as many seem to be, and I think Wolanin's ceiling is limited at this point, but I do expect them to both be full time capable NHLers at minimum.
On TSN1200 they were saying Batherson has been training better this off season. If true he definitely has the skills. I hope he has a breakout season and Dorion gets him on one of those Nashville style deals. 6 x 4M or similar. If he breaks out. Wolanin needs a big healthy year and then he is a candidate for a 3 year deal.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

I'm with you. I'd be shocked if the two weren't serviceable regular NHLers, but I don't see Batherson being a legitimate first liner, and I don't see Wolanin being a top 4 on a decent team. I would absolutely love to be proven wrong, though :)

Reactions: Gesus

MCNSTY

Sep 15, 2020
Not really Melnyk’s strong suit, is it.
I would die to see another front office hire. That would complete this offseason for me.
I would assume that is not on the agenda, though?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
On TSN1200 they were saying Batherson has been training better this off season. If true he definitely has the skills. I hope he has a breakout season and Dorion gets him on one of those Nashville style deals. 6 x 4M or similar. If he breaks out. Wolanin needs a big healthy year and then he is a candidate for a 3 year deal.
I would like to see a lot more out of Batherson before giving him a contract like that. This is the year he needs to establish himself.

Reactions: jhutter

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
How do you know that it was "bigger than reported"?

Seems like EK is still pretty close with a lot of his former teammates
Based on what some of the players said, like Anderson who talked about too much drama in the room. Anyone who has played on a team knows who gets along with who & who doesn't, it's a problem that can ruin a team when you have players who don't get along. That's where vet players are required to nip those things sooner rather than later & coaches who know their players & are aware of what is going on with his team to solve those things quickly. And what about Hoffman who was made out to be the bad guy when nothing was ever proven, yet he lost his job here because of it?

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
“I truly believe that we are a Stanley Cup winner within four years,” Melnyk said. “It can happen any time, but within four years.”-Eugene Melnyk

WTFF??? :biglaugh:

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

I think people have unrealistic expectations of Wolanin. I mean, the guy is over 25 and hasn't yet broken in to the league.

He looked good in that stint at the end of the 2018/2019 season, but the "looked good" part was almost all to do with his play in the offensive zone. Once established as a regular player, people (esp the coach) will start to be more critical of his play in his own end. And if he isn't good in his own end he won't see a ton of ice, and his offensive numbers will suffer.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I'm not that high on Wolanin.

I am still fairly high on Batherson. Personally I think he will perform better with better players. Just the nature of his skill set.

Some guys need other skilled and creative guys around them to thrive.

Other guys can either do it all by themselves (Hossa with the Senators) or rely simply on work ethic for their offence (95% of our offence last season).

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I'm not that high on Wolanin.

I am still fairly high on Batherson. Personally I think he will perform better with better players. Just the nature of his skill set.

Some guys need other skilled and creative guys around them to thrive.

Other guys can either do it all by themselves (Hossa with the Senators) or rely simply on work ethic for their offence (95% of our offence last season).

I think Batherson is going to be a legitimate NHLer, I just don't see him being a top end, first line player. 50-60 point ceiling, in my opinion.

I think people have unrealistic expectations of Wolanin. I mean, the guy is over 25 and hasn't yet broken in to the league.

He looked good in that stint at the end of the 2018/2019 season, but the "looked good" part was almost all to do with his play in the offensive zone. Once established as a regular player, people (esp the coach) will start to be more critical of his play in his own end. And if he isn't good in his own end he won't see a ton of ice, and his offensive numbers will suffer.

I like Wolanin, but I think a lot of the reason for this board's excitement for him is due to the extremely thin d corps the Sens have. It doesn't take much to get excited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad