GDT: Senators @ Avalanche | Nov. 25th - 7:30 PM MT | Home Sweet Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Thanks for the heads up, TV. Wasn't going to bother with the post-game presser but now I have to listen to see if Roy took another shot at Varly in the media.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
At the end of the day it was.

Yes we played awful for 50 minutes. But in the end Varly let in a softie, and couldn't make the big saves. Anderson was able to make the big saves.

Obviously there was a lot more that went wrong in the game. But the ultimate difference was one soft goal allowed.

He did but the praise went to someone named Carly.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Hes looked very disinterested since the Montreal game and in the 1st and 2nd tonight was no different. Definetly think Roy said something to him in the locker room because he was absolutely incredible in the 3rd period I just wish he would hit the net more on those amazing rushes. Speaking of which does someone have a gif of that?

Yea he's been a bit off for a few games now, and did miss the net a lot tonight. Can you imagine if he would have tied it on that one rush late in the 3rd though? It would have absolutely ripped the roof off the Pepsi center.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
okay, i found it ...so if anyone else wanted to hear it ...go ahead ...
https://soundcloud.com/altituderadi...ndcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter

on Varly ...'he needs to be better ...period.'

It's a fact. I love Ryker, and I love that he's being critical of their defensive misktaes, but he's wrong on not blaming Varly for the goal that squeaked by him. He's got to make that save there. He can't let it go through him, he's got to close the holes, and stand tall in the butterfly on a play like that. That's a save that needs to be made in the NHL, despite the screen.

The Avs are guilty of screening Varly too often and not blocking the shots, but that shot in particular was stoppable if he's down square in the butterfly with no holes to the net.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Definitely not Varly's fault tonight.

There weren't defensive breakdowns on any of the goals. There were incredibly massive and glaring defensive breakdowns on every single chance the Sens got in our zone all night. No team or goalie could ever find a way to win like this. We need more top end players AND a better system. Having just one of the two might allow us to squeek into the playoffs but we'll never be serious cup contenders.

Here's to hoping in 3 years all of Landy, Duchene, MacKinnon, Barrie, EJ, Varly, Zadorov, Rantanen, Siemens, Pickard, and Bigras are all in their prime and live up to potential. It's really the only way at this point...

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Having the Avs crash & burn big time this season is the best thing that can happen to this organization, because it forces Sakic and Roy to face the stark reality of where this team TRULY stands compared to the better teams in the league.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
okay, i found it ...so if anyone else wanted to hear it ...go ahead ...
https://soundcloud.com/altituderadi...ndcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter

on Varly ...'he needs to be better ...period.'

Roy should talk to Rycroft. It's him who needs to be better. The way he's pointed out our defensive flaws is good. Get that man in our locker room.

Anyways, Varlamov does need to be better. As one of my favourite players he has definitely been disappointing this year. If anyone thinks weak goaltending is their problem though ... they're sadly, sadly mistaken.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That wasn't too bad. I was expecting worse with how TV brought it up. It was a bad goal and Varly probably knows that too. He's the one guy who has gotten called out publicly a couple of times though. Won't help with the rumours either.

Nice to hear that Tanguay won't just be gifted a PP spot when he gets back. I'd still probably put him out there over Comeau though.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Having the Avs crash & burn big time this season is the best thing that can happen to this organization, because it forces Sakic and Roy to face the stark reality of where this team TRULY stands compared to the better teams in the league.

Yeah...we get to see Roy and Sakic get angry and start trading core players. Bets on who goes first? Wouldn't be surprised if Varly is shopped seriously, Roy (pointing the finger at the wrong person) certainly seems to be critiquing him. Not that Varly has been good, but Roy should probably think about helping Sakic organize a decent roster and developing proper systems out there first.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Varly was to blame for this particular loss, but not for many others this season.

I think an important, under appreciated thing about the Avs is to stop tinkering. Every offseason a major piece leaves, a new piece comes in. The chemistry goes haywire. This coming offseason, no major tinkering, pretty please. Let this group grow together.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009

And maybe the owner to consider whether or not Sakic and Roy are fit for their jobs.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Roy seems to be banking too much on recapturing the formula from his first season. That team had Varly playing out of his mind and a deep forward pool... and games like this they had a knack for scoring that tying goal in the closing seconds, and they're not doing that anymore (but of course they seem to be able to score in the closing moments when they are down two... especially after giving up an empty net goal). If he's not recognizing the need for better team defensive play it's a real troubling problem for this organization.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Roy should talk to Rycroft. It's him who needs to be better. The way he's pointed out our defensive flaws is good. Get that man in our locker room.

Anyways, Varlamov does need to be better as as one of my favourite players he is disappointing this year. If anyone thinks weak goaltending is their problem though ... they're sadly, sadly mistaken.

Roy doesn't play defense, and he can't turn Barrie, Holden, Redmond, and maybe even Gormley (he's still young) into good defensive players. It's just not part of their makeup, or how they're capable of reading the play in their own zone.

Redmond's been decent lately, but he had some big breakdowns tonight as well. Unfortunately him and Holden basically only have a small window during seasons where they play "well." That's been the theme with Holden especially the last few years. He's got about a month max of good play in him every year.

Redmond on the other hand needs to find another team and hope for a Hunwick type resurgence where he can be sheltered behind a very good D core. That's his only hope in the NHL IMO. The Avs are a ways away from that.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Roy seems to be banking too much on recapturing the formula from his first season. That team had Varly playing out of his mind and a deep forward pool... and games like this they had a knack for scoring that tying goal in the closing seconds, and they're not doing that anymore (but of course they seem to be able to score in the closing moments when they are down two... especially after giving up an empty net goal). If he's not recognizing the need for better team defensive play it's a real troubling problem for this organization.

Exactly. It seems to me Roy has built his team around Varly being a God. That removes the need to have a focused and structured defensive system and allows everyone else to pretty much do whatever they want (AKA try to score and forget everything else).

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
Roy doesn't play defense, and he can't turn Barrie, Holden, Redmond, and maybe even Gormley (he's still young) into good defensive players. It's just not part of their makeup, or how they're capable of reading the play in their own zone.

Redmond's been decent lately, but he had some big breakdowns tonight as well. Unfortunately him and Holden basically only have a small window during seasons where they play "well." That's been the theme with Holden especially the last few years. He's got about a month max of good play in him every year.

Redmond on the other hand needs to find another team and hope for a Hunwick type resurgence where he can be sheltered behind a very good D core. The Avs are a ways away from that.

Fair enough, can't really argue with that. When you're icing those 4 you're setting yourself up for a few mental breakdowns in your own end.

However, how defence develop defensively is a concern for me with this organization. Probably because I haven't seen it in far too long. Hopefully I'm worrying for nothing.

I like Gormley. I see something there.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It does sound like that's frustrating the hell out of Roy. I mean, he basically admitted Varly needs to play at a Vezina level for this team to be successful. However, he's not doing that so many flaws are being exposed and they're losing.

Varly played great last game though. Let in a weak one tonight but he'll bounce back.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Exactly. It seems to me Roy has built his team around Varly being a God. That removes the need to have a focused and structured defensive system and allows everyone else to pretty much do whatever they want (AKA try to score and forget everything else).

He needs the "current team" to have Varly play as a god. There's no way in hell with all his years of experience in what it takes to win, that he sees this D core as one that he's comfortable with. It's just that the pieces like Zadorov, Bigras, etc are a couple years off from really being able to play at a high level in the NHL so he has to make due with what he has.

Whether we like it or not, this team is still building towards the plan Sakic and Roy ultimately have for a team that can compete long term. They're not taking a short term approach, and whether it's Sakic with his return on the ROR trade, or Roy trying his best to spin things positively, they're putting their ego aside, because they know they're personally taking a hit in the short term, while their long term plan unfolds.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Anyways, Varlamov does need to be better. As one of my favourite players he has definitely been disappointing this year. If anyone thinks weak goaltending is their problem though ... they're sadly, sadly mistaken.

Goaltending has definitely been a problem. It's let them down in at least half their games. No goalie is going to be perfect, defensive breakdowns but does decent goaltending let in a bad one NIGHTLY? We also aren't talking one, we are talking being down 3 or more. This team clawed back 3 goals but no NHL team can consistently do that. How is it not a factor? This team loses one goal games and gives up goals in bunches and part of that isn't goaltending? It's part of the game. Just like a team ******** the bed on the PP or PK or forwards who can't bury their chances or defensemen who make a mistake. It's a factor that ends up in a loss.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It does sound like that's frustrating the hell out of Roy. I mean, he basically admitted Varly needs to play at a Vezina level for this team to be successful. However, he's not doing that so many flaws are being exposed and they're losing.

Varly played great last game though. Let in a weak one tonight but he'll bounce back.

I'd like to know how many people actually listened to that interview and how many just read the tweet that was posted here.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Fair enough, can't really argue with that. When you're icing those 4 you're setting yourself up for a few mental breakdowns in your own end.

However, how defence develop defensively is a concern for me with this organization. Probably because I haven't seen it in far too long. Hopefully I'm worrying for nothing.

I like Gormley. I see something there.

I think we've seen a clear difference in the type of D men the Avs bring in, and how they're developed fro the last regime though. I agree that was a big time issue in the past though.

Guys like Zadorov, Bigras, even Gormley, they have a way of reading the play, and they don't have lot of holes in their game. They're just young, and a bit raw. You can see it with all of them to an extent though.

There's been a big emphasis in bringing in young D men the last couple years, and they're very willing to let them develop slowly as well. That was never the case in the past. They thought Elliott and Barrie would be ready as soon as they traded Shatty. They thought Cumiskey was a D man they could rely on.

The D men they have now are completely different. They have size, they can skate ok, and they have a bit of that "it factor" for a d man. Even going beyond the Zadorov's, Bigras, and Gormley's. They have demonstrated an ability to play the position the right way, not just have success because of their skills at the lower levels.

Not all of them will make it, but with how many they have in the stable now, they're set up much better than they ever had in the past. They're just all young, that's the problem right now. The Avs have the decision to rush them because they're being pressure to win now, or develop them the right way for the sake of the team and player long term. They're correctly choosing the long term approach despite knowing they're gonna feel the heat for it.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Yeah...we get to see Roy and Sakic get angry and start trading core players. Bets on who goes first? Wouldn't be surprised if Varly is shopped seriously, Roy (pointing the finger at the wrong person) certainly seems to be critiquing him. Not that Varly has been good, but Roy should probably think about helping Sakic organize a decent roster and developing proper systems out there first.

As questionable as many of their FA signings & personnel moves have been the past 2+ seasons, I can't imagine Joe & Patrick being stupid enough to trade any of their true core players (Mack, Duchene, Johnson, Landeskog and Varlamov) anytime soon. As thin as this team is talent-wise, those 5 guys are the pillars this team will be built upon going forward. It's been the creation of a solid supporting cast where management has screwed up royally...and it's gonna take at least 2-3 additional years to try to sort this mess out. Hopefully.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'd like to know how many people actually listened to that interview and how many just read the tweet that was posted here.

The interview where Roy literally said they need Varly to be the Varly of two years ago and in order for them to win games, he needs to be their best player?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
#CarlyCarly

I'm at the point again where if we're down by two at any intermission I'm going to bed. Then again I'm not getting enough sleep anyway so at least I have an excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad