GDT: Senators @ Avalanche | Nov. 25th - 7:30 PM MT | Home Sweet Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Did Roy and other really expect Varlamov to stay at Vezina level for several years? He is not Lundqvist. He is gonna have a years when he is .920+, but he is also gonna have years where he might be closer to .905. It's just goalie nature.

It really shouldn't be starting goalie nature to be around .905. That's not good at all

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Varly needs to be better but the timing of this by Roy is ridiculous. He's coming off an injury where he played stellar in his first game back and now after ONE bad goal in the next game he throws him under the bus.

He made some nasty saves yesterday but the defence was no where to be found. The sens passed the puck without any difficulty, it was really peewee level defence. To blame the goalie is just sad and desperate much like his goalie pull.

Due Varly and the rest of the avs a favour and quit.

Hey price came back from injury and played fine.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Seems odd that Roy is being so public about his displeasure with Varlamov, when in the past he went out of his way not do criticize players in public. The criticism is warranted, but I do feel like he's starting to boil over.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Seems odd that Roy is being so public about his displeasure with Varlamov, when in the past he went out of his way not do criticize players in public. The criticism is warranted, but I do feel like he's starting to boil over.

I really don't think we want to see Roy's nails up close. Watching him chew them on the bench makes me sad.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
You really find everything to blame on Roy don't you. Varly hasn't been good all year. He wasn't stellar last game, was just good. He didn't face that much action. One game where he meets expectations is not enough. He's healthy right now, and already has one game under his belt, so that's not an excuse. He's got to make the stops he's supposed to make, and he's got to make some big stops when his team gives up a good scoring chance. That's what he's capable of and he hasn't done that all year really.

He did in that game... it went under appreciated because the sens just kept coming and eventually set fire to the village... it doesn't help the firefighters are also the village idiots.

It really can't be disputed that Varly has given up a questionable goal (or more) in nearly every game he's played in this year. Roy saying he needs to be better is the truth, plain and simple.

As I said Varly needs to be better but for Roy to call him out is ******** given the circumstances.

Hey price came back from injury and played fine.

Price plays on a team that he actually can lean on when things aren't going his way. A bad month from Varly means trade rumours.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He did in that game... it went under appreciated because the sens just kept coming and eventually set fire to the village... it doesn't help the firefighters are also the village idiots.

As I said Varly needs to be better but for Roy to call him out is ******** given the circumstances.

Price plays on a team that he actually can lean on when things aren't going his way. A bad month from Varly means trade rumours.

He did make some timely stops in the last game, and I'm not under appreciating that fact. It's a big part of the position, even with the lesser work load. However, the fact is it was still just one one game. And it was bookended by a poor start to the season in multiple games, and a poor game in the one directly after. That's the part that has lead to critique.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I think it's pretty clear he's trying a different approach, since the other approach didn't produce the results needed. He's going to continue to shield the team from blame on occasion out of strategy, since he thinks that will make matters worse to completely **** on them, but for certain star players, I think it's clear he has changed direction to put some external pressure on them. They haven't responded properly to being coddled.

That's why we've seen Nate, Dutchy, Varly, and Barrie be given some tough love. It's no coincidence that the only players to receive that treatment are the biggest parts of the team. Everybody else can only be so good based on their natural abilities. The guys he gives tough love to are underperforming, and capable of much more.

trip trancid

May 23, 2015

Sorry but Roy did nothing wrong by saying he needs to play better. It's pretty obvious. And put yourself in Roy's, shoes. You can either acknowledge it publicly or acquiesce on it but if someone is sniffing around the issue, he might as well acknowledge he's struggling.

Also, Varlamov is supposed to be a pro. He gets paid and paid well to perform. Criticism comes with the territory. Roy knows this and that's a very likely reason for why he acknowledged it in responding to a question. It's not like he went up to the podium to criticize Varlamov.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand

When a tender has a Sv% of .800, it is fair to say he had a bad game, regardless of how little help he had from the skaters.

God forbid the coach answer a question that the starting goalie play up to his ability. He gets paid a hefty $5.9M salary to be a top 10 goalie, but has been playing like a questionable backup. After 12 games this season, his Sv% is .890. Seven games were below that mark, and two at/below .800. Only three have been above .910, which is the mark many consider minimum for a decent starting goalie.

The rumors are unlikely to be coming from the team. But you are right on this, he does deserve a bit more faith than being shipped off after a rough 12 game start.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

And had Roy stood up for Varly instead you would be bashing Roy for being positive about him.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
And had Roy stood up for Varly instead you would be bashing Roy for being positive about him.

How presumptuous of you.

Looks like people are still not getting why I have a problem with this... Id on't care if Roy starts calling out players but the TIMING of it was wrong.

2 games, one he was solid and the other he gave up ONE bad goal.

Anyway, I've said what I can you either get it or not.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
You can honestly say that you have never bashed Roy for saying something positive about a lesser player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad