Confirmed with Link: Senators are for sale - and it’s a Gong Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Never confirmed, first I’ve ever seen from a creditable source saying it’s for sale
Not confirmed, and it’s not Westhead, saying for sale, it’s Sportico, saying they believe / surmise it’s for sale. Westhead just reporting what Sportico believes.

The Ottawa Senators are widely expected to be the next team to sell. In March, longtime owner Eugene Melnyk died and left the team to his two children—Anna and Olivia—who are both younger than 25. The team has already interviewed sell-side bankers, according to multiple people, and there is significant interest in the franchise.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Not confirmed, and it’s not Westhead, saying for sale, it’s Sportico, saying they believe / surmise it’s for sale. Westhead just reporting what Sportico believes.

The Ottawa Senators are widely expected to be the next team to sell. In March, longtime owner Eugene Melnyk died and left the team to his two children—Anna and Olivia—who are both younger than 25. The team has already interviewed sell-side bankers, according to multiple people, and there is significant interest in the franchise.

All good news. Get this team into the hands of a person who wants to build a leading NHL stadium quickly

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
$700 million + $1 billion for the stadium + $20 for parking at the CTC when you sign the deal.

Going to need $1 700 000 020 to get this deal done
Not sure what you mean about $20 parking when you sign the deal?
There won’t be any parking at the new arena.

Also not sure what this means, So they are either for sale or will be thoroughly investigated for not being for sale

Reactions: Tuna99

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

And Sportico is a 2 year old site led by the former president of Funny or Die.

The big spending this summer makes sense if it is up for sale. The sale price is dictated more by revenues than expenses and getting more people in the rink will pay off far more when the team is sold than the cost of the additional salary.

Assen na yo!

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Berri UQAM

Apr 15, 2022

Yikes. You might be correct. Unfortunately, the way that Rick worded his tweet makes it seem like it's a confirmed fact that the Senators are for sale. At least that's the way that his tweet came across to me.

In my view, it's sloppy reporting to present other people's opinions or speculations as fact.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Yikes. You might be correct. Unfortunately, the way that Rick worded his tweet makes it seem like it's a confirmed fact that the Senators are for sale. At least that's the way that his tweet came across to me.

In my view, it's sloppy reporting to present other people's opinions or speculations as fact.
There's an important distinction to be made here. The Sportico article theorizes that they'll be the next team to be sold, but clearly has factual evidence to support that the team has consulted sell-side bankers. The speculation is that the Sens will be the next team to sell, not that the team is for sale.

I don't see that Westhead's reporting here is anything other than correct based on the details in the piece.

Reactions: Berri UQAM

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

When is Rick Westhead ever wrong? You can call it sloppy but he does have inside info and is connected, so if he says they are for sale to me they are 100% for sale

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Westhead isn't just reiterating what they said, though that might be his intent, who knows. It's sloppy work on his part of he tweets out a statement that they are for sale of he meant the article speculates they are thought to be the most likely club to be sold next.

For what it's worth, Sportico expands in the sens situation in a follow up tweet

Reactions: Tuna99

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Westhead isn't just reiterating what they said, though that might be his intent, who knows. It's sloppy work on his part of he tweets out a statement that they are for sale of he meant the article speculates they are thought to be the most likely club to be sold next.

For what it's worth, Sportico expands in the sens situation in a follow up tweet

Asking Ian Mendes if Rick Westhead reporting his accurate is like asking Joe Juneau if Wayne Gretzky’s passes are on target.

Reactions: NB613

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
It was a clickbait post by Westhead. Full stop. There is absolutely zero new information here regarding a potential sale.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
It was a clickbait post by Westhead. Full stop. There is absolutely zero new information here regarding a potential sale.
It’s not clickbait lol this is one of the most reliable guys in the business. It’s not Eklund lol

Reactions: NB613

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
It’s not clickbait lol this is one of the most reliable guys in the business. It’s not Eklund lol
It is clickbait. He needed clicks and he skirted the edges of the truth to get them. I am disappointed with it. Even reliable guys can make mistakes.
Nothing in that article was new information about a potential sale. Nothing. But he tweeted that the Sens are the first Canadian team for sale in a decade. Why? To drive traffic. It's unfortunate.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Asking Ian Mendes if Rick Westhead reporting his accurate is like asking Joe Juneau if Wayne Gretzky’s passes are on target.

Westhead is not an all time great reporter. His writing tends to be very ambiguous, which is not a good thing for a reporter.

Assen na yo!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It is clickbait. He needed clicks and he skirted the edges of the truth to get them. I am disappointed with it. Even reliable guys can make mistakes.
Nothing in that article was new information about a potential sale. Nothing. But he tweeted that the Sens are the first Canadian team for sale in a decade. Why? To drive traffic. It's unfortunate.
The article references that a Canadian team hasn't sold in a decade after discussing potential that the sens could sell and how a new build MeU could influence the final sale price, I think he was trying to capture the tops of the waves and lost some of the nuance in an attempt to be concise.

Of course he's looking for clicks, I don't think his intent was to misrepresent though.

Reactions: slamigo

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Haven't we all assumed its for sale and that process has been happening behind the scenes this whole time? I certainly expect it to be sold in the next year or so.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Haven't we all assumed its for sale and that process has been happening behind the scenes this whole time? I certainly expect it to be sold in the next year or so.

We Thought it was going to be Paul Anka, and it ends up being Justin Beider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad