GDT: senaters @ note

Status
Not open for further replies.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Last year the team had some miserable 1st periods. It was pretty clear to me THEN that he was having troubles keeping the guys motivated.
Eh, honestly it doesn't look like a motivation issue to me. Didn't last year either.

Its just 1 issue in a many case scenario, but I know if I was Backes I would likely be somewhat miffed with being moved from C to wing so much, as well as the never ending rotating wingers.
Then it's incumbent upon Backes to force Hitchcock to make a decision with his play. The problem is that Backes, as he often is, has been inconsistent at best early this season. So has much of the rest of the team.
I suspect David knows that already.
I realize injuries occur, but Hitch seems to move lines around way more then any other coach ive followed.

They all do it.
Every single one of them. And they all do it a lot.
Hawks fans were ready to strangle Q last year when he kept messing with the lines. Habs fans are preparing to shoot Therrien in the street.

Rare is the coach willing to just let the lines run as-is. The fact that Hitch has kept the STL line together as long as he has is impressive. I know several coaches that would have blown it apart to jumpstart other lines by now.

RR10*

Does anyone here honestly think that this team will have a chance against Chi/LA in the playoffs with the way they are playing? They collapse against ****** teams like Ottawa, NJ etc and we are supposed to think they will outscore Chicago in playoff mode?

Btw who's idea was it to play Lindstrom with Steen and Backes? I don't see any chemistry or o-zone pressure whatsoever on a line like that. Bergy centering Oshie and Steen? Give us a break...

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Does anyone here honestly think that this team will have a chance against Chi/LA in the playoffs with the way they are playing? They collapse against ****** teams like Ottawa, NJ etc and we are supposed to think they will outscore Chicago in playoff mode?

Btw who's idea was it to play Lindstrom with Steen and Backes? I don't see any chemistry or o-zone pressure whatsoever on a line like that. Bergy centering Oshie and Steen? Give us a break...

If we judge our playoff chances by how we play at some point during the regular season, we should have won the Stanley Cup a few times within the last 5 years

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range

Logically then, if the Blues win the president's trophy then they should be able to beat the Hawks/Kings/etc since regular season performance is a predictor of post-season success, no?

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010

Based on what you purport here, the Blues simply cannot lose a game.

If we lose to a "bad" team, there's no way we'd beat a good team. If we lose to a "good" team, there's the proof we're not good enough.

We have the pieces, we can play well enough to compete with those teams, it'll be a challenge, but the Blues can beat both of those teams.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Every team blows leads. It's not the end of the world. OTHER TEAMS ARE STILL PRETTY GOOD. Get that through your head.

Some of you need to start paying more attention to the hockey world instead of acting like the Blues are the worst team on earth. So annoying to read after a while.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Feels like Tarasenko hasn't been skating as hard lately, needs to get back to working hard and forechecking.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
He barely touched him. Lehner embellished.

Look at the play from an outside perspective. Didn't touch him, but then he did but just barely and Lehner faked ... What do you want, you clip the goalie it's ruled off.

On the other side, Condra got pushed by our player on Elliot and luckily it was dissalowed and on the other one Elliot never had control of the puck.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I don't care that ottawa got 2 points, I care St. Louis lost 1 point. of course the regular season matters, and every point matters. The West is the tighter of the conferences and it doesn't take much to miss the play-offs.

you'd think the fanbase would understand that it is a knife's edge to make the play-offs. I think we need that heartbreak of just missing again to understand this.

that you don't understand this, is confounding.
Oh stop. The Blues will easily make the playoffs. They are not some borderline team. So no, not every point matters. Boggles my mind that you guys still base success off regular season points. Guess that translates over to the players and is why they never do anything in the playoffs.

LA doesn't give two ***** how many points they have as long as they get in. I like their mentality to be honest.

It's not about the points, well sorta. The teams doesn't look like they are making improvements. Same old crap new year
They have one of the best records in the league still...

It's not the "same old crap." The Blues are a good team.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Some of you need to start paying more attention to the hockey world instead of acting like the Blues are the worst team on earth.
Well if you'd pay closer attention you'd know that not only are the Blues the worst team on Earth (and by this I include all AHL/ECHL/Beer League teams) but also likely even worse than any in the galaxy...no wait make that universe...no...multi-verse.

Also Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester could be replaced by ECHL level players as has been proven the past two games.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Well if you'd pay closer attention you'd know that not only are the Blues the worst team on Earth (and by this I include all AHL/ECHL/Beer League teams) but also likely even worse than any in the galaxy...no wait make that universe...no...multi-verse.

Also Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester could be replaced by ECHL level players as has been proven the past two games.

Bouwmeester has already been replaced by Butler. Why are we still talking about him like he's on this team?

RR10*

I agree with most of what you say other then the pp, we are in top 5 in the league, its our pk that is struggling.

It's a tough group of fans to try and convince though, mention a trade involving any of the top 3 dmen guys and you get flamed....
I know its difficult to imagine this team without Petro or Shatty, but if it got us a couple energy players who could score, it would give us a realistic chance to get out of rd 1.
They don't see it that way though...oh well.
Our PP is just as pathetic as our PK. We are top 5 in the league because of pure coincidence and those two games against Arizona and Sabres. You can't tell me a PP is good when your players have a hard time entering the o-zone with control.

I totally agree with your second statement. With this core of defense this team will disappoint once again. I would trade Pietrangelo because I think that he is overvalued and we could get some good pieces for him. It seems like he can suck as much as he like and people here will still defend him. And when he has a game where he is just "OK" people are trying to make him look better than he is. I mean come on, when Doughty and Keith is on their game you can clearly notice their beasting. I watch pretty much all the Blues games and I have never been impressed with Pietrangelo.

RR10*

Logically then, if the Blues win the president's trophy then they should be able to beat the Hawks/Kings/etc since regular season performance is a predictor of post-season success, no?
I dont just look at points. For example, we now have 30 pts in 22 games, which is more than fine. But I'm not impressed by the way we earned those points because in most of the wins we have played mediocre. I just dont see us having another gear from what we are seeing now. You think the defense will start closing the gap come playoff time and be tough and aggressive? Yeah right...

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
I dont just look at points. For example, we now have 30 pts in 22 games, which is more than fine. But I'm not impressed by the way we earned those points because in most of the wins we have played mediocre. I just dont see us having another gear from what we are seeing now. You think the defense will start closing the gap come playoff time and be tough and aggressive? Yeah right...

this.

the games we won, the STL line was rolling over teams. that isn't going to make us a successful play-off team. People are dreaming if they think our current record is an accurate representation of how good this team is.

I suppose we'll see come April.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Feels like Tarasenko hasn't been skating as hard lately, needs to get back to working hard and forechecking.

He looked like he was playing plenty hard to me. You can't play "110%" EVERY game in an 82 game season. We saw what attemoting to do that did to The Blues at the end of each of the last 2 seasons.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
I just dont see us having another gear from what we are seeing now.
If true, then yes the team's screwed.
I'm pretty sure there's another gear or two left. In fact I know there's at least one more gear left and the Blues hopefully will start finding that particular one sometime in the latter part of the season.

You think the defense will start closing the gap come playoff time and be tough and aggressive? Yeah right...
Well I suspect they'll have to start doing something like that if they plan on being something greater than a doorstop.
Not sure how tough and aggressive they're going to be, but they should start closing the gap, if for no other reason than they'll have to.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Oh stop. The Blues will easily make the playoffs. They are not some borderline team. So no, not every point matters. Boggles my mind that you guys still base success off regular season points. Guess that translates over to the players and is why they never do anything in the playoffs.

LA doesn't give two ***** how many points they have as long as they get in. I like their mentality to be honest.

They have one of the best records in the league still...

It's not the "same old crap." The Blues are a good team.
It's this simple.

Yes the Blues will make the playoffs, we're not discussing being a PO team or not

The Blues are not the Kings, the Blues do not have the success the the Kings have in the playoffs. The Kings have shown that extra gear that the Blues have not. So the Blues don't get the meh....It's only the Regular season till they can string together some impressive wins against top teams. They don't have to win every game, but win against top teams and show levels of compete that would be playoff fitting.

They had a really good record last year too.... they were on a downward trend towards the end before the injuries too.

I don't expect them to win every game but seriously.

D is pushed around, you can be a mobile as you want but if your hemmed in your own zone...doesn't mean squat.

Still can't freaking score....can't fault anyone on this...we have the roster, shots just aren't going in.

Same Ol Blues. The season is still young so it's not the end at the world. But this absolute assurance that the Blues have this playoff gear, the team will fully click and all will be well isn't an easy wagon to hop on

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Our PP is just as pathetic as our PK. We are top 5 in the league because of pure coincidence and those two games against Arizona and Sabres. You can't tell me a PP is good when your players have a hard time entering the o-zone with control.

I totally agree with your second statement. With this core of defense this team will disappoint once again. I would trade Pietrangelo because I think that he is overvalued and we could get some good pieces for him. It seems like he can suck as much as he like and people here will still defend him. And when he has a game where he is just "OK" people are trying to make him look better than he is. I mean come on, when Doughty and Keith is on their game you can clearly notice their beasting. I watch pretty much all the Blues games and I have never been impressed with Pietrangelo.

19 power play goals in 22 games. By definition in this league, we have a very good power play. The numbers might be slightly inflated, but not to the dramatics you're carrying it to. The terrible powerplay came through again tonight with another goal. It seems obvious you have unrealistic expectations.

The second half of your post is just nonsense. I can only conclude you do not understand the finer mechanics of a good NHL defenseman. Pietrangelo isn't flashy, but you're missing an awful lot if you don't see his value. Teams would line up and bid for him instantly, not due to his hype, but because he's a good #1 defenseman and teams without them are well aware, they aren't easy to come by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad