Prospect Info: Semyon Der-Arguchintsev signs with Traktor in the KHL

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
The pick never made sense to me from the first place.
Agree. Followed by the quick signing, it's like they expected this guy to fast track.

Undersized, likely not good enough for top6 or defensive enough for bottom 6.

Had a few of these types already, hope the scouting staff goes the "safe nhler" route , rather trying to find gold with the Bracco, Robertson, and SDA of the world.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Dubas had a presser a few years ago where he mentioned SDA as a promising prospect who's within the MLSE organization. I watched SDA as a Marlie to see what Dubas saw in him, and I wasn't impressed. I would say the only impressive thing was the fact that Dubas could pronounce his name so well. As a player he was the most invisible would-be talent in the AHL.

At 22 he had a better PPG than Abruzzess, Holmberg, and Steeves (all older and more physically developed), offensively he is good, and he is young.

Crazy to write him off so young.

He is a long shot, but he was always a boom or bust kind of prospect, and his raw talent is pretty high.

PPG around Foudy, Holtz, Zary, Eklund, Greig, Tomasino, Kupari, and above Neighbours, McMichael, Brink, Drury, Denisenko, Brisson... he is not that bad. Was just picking out a bunch of U23 prospects.

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
At 22 he had a better PPG than Abruzzess, Holmberg, and Steeves (all older and more physically developed), offensively he is good, and he is young.

Crazy to write him off so young.

He is a long shot, but he was always a boom or bust kind of prospect, and his raw talent is pretty high.

PPG around Foudy, Holtz, Zary, Eklund, Greig, Tomasino, Kupari, and above Neighbours, McMichael, Brink, Drury, Denisenko, Brisson... he is not that bad. Was just picking out a bunch of U23 prospects.
He was in his D+5 year vs a lot of those guys being in their D+2 or D+3 years which makes a big difference.

SDA is also undersized, a poor skater in terms if acceleration and speed. He is a poor mans Jeremy Bracco.

He is not comparable to basically any of those prospects listed above who are Knies level or above prospects with the exception of a few smaller players

Some of the guys there are NHLers albeit bottom 6/4th line guys, a role which SDA won't be able to play at the NHL level. He is likely a petan/aberg type tweener who isnt good enough for the NHL but can produce in the AHL

Last edited:

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
His name was not written all over the pick they made after he left the organization. Based on your own logic, this SDA pick would have Lou written all over it because he was the GM all year and Dubas only took over right before the draft
Fire all the scouting staff or override them. Obviously, they’re dead set on drafting a bunch of 5’10 forwards and passing on need or even just drafting the best players.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I think it's wrong that his rights will be retained indefinitely. That would be true only if he had never signed an NHL contract. Because he signed an NHL ELC and the Leafs have qualified him, the team retains his rights until the point he obtains UFA status like any other signed player. Cap Friendly says it expires in 2028 at the moment although I expect it'll be earlier (2026) because he should qualify as a Group 6 UFA at 25 because he's taken part in 3 professional hockey seasons.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

The Toronto Maple Leafs are short one key prospect within their organization, as Semyon Der-Arguchintsev, whom now-former general manager Kyle Dubas drafted in the 2018 NHL Draft with the 76th overall selection, has elected to return home to Russia. He's signed a deal with Traktor Chelyabinsk of the KHL, and his deal is worth 45 million rubles per season, which is the equivalent of just over $502,000.

And now, he's telling his side of the story as to why he decided to return home and says that it's still his goal to one day play in the NHL, though he feels he currently has more of an opportunity to play in the KHL.

The translated Russian-to-English interview's transcript is as follows:

Q: "Toronto made you a qualifying offer and retained the rights. Do you agree that another year in the AHL wouldn't do you any good?"

A: "Hard to tell. Of course, I want to play for Toronto. My dream is to play in the NHL. I hope that in two years I will be able to try my hand overseas again. It is unlikely that I would have made it to the main squad of the Maple Leafs. So now it's better for me to play in the KHL."

Q: "Didn't you feel like you outgrew the AHL?"

A: "Yes, you are right, most likely, another year in the AHL would not do me any good. Even if next season I played for Toronto not one match, but 10-15, it would be impossible to say that I was fixed in the squad. At this stage, it was better for me to return to Russia and play two years in a good league. Now let's see what happens from this."

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Currently leads Traktor in scoring. The Leafs retained his NHL rights and there is nothing to stop him from returning to North America.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad