Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He sucks any ways. Was a poor mans Bracco/petan

2018 and 2019 drafts look poor for incoming/expected help

2020 and 2021 look pretty good still

Knies, Hirvonen, Voit, Niemela and potentially Villeneuve

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
The pick never made sense to me from the first place.
Just Dubas trying to draft small guys other teams didn’t want in the hopes that they’d pan out and he’d look like a genius. Same as Cowen this year..

None of these picks have panned out. Many good teams have kept it going by having good young players to bring up on entry levels. The leafs have not. Very poor drafting.

They have a d all, soft team that gets bullied and instead of drafting bigger forwards or D with a bit of snarl, they keep drafting these sub-6 foot forwards every year. I hope that this changes with a new GM.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Just Dubas trying to draft small guys other teams didn’t want in the hopes that they’d pan out and he’d look like a genius. Same as Cowen this year..

None of these picks have panned out. Many good teams have kept it going by having good young players to bring up on entry levels. The leafs have not. Very poor drafting.

They have a d all, soft team that gets bullied and instead of drafting bigger forwards or D with a bit of snarl, they keep drafting these sub-6 foot forwards every year. I hope that this changes with a new GM.
Yeah Dubas sure looks dumb already for that Cowan pick, good call

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Not surprised, never really got an opportunity in the NHL and wasn’t anything special in the AHL. Best of luck to him in the KHL!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kind of reminded me of a Kyle Wellwood. Ironically, Wellwood came up in a lower skill, crash and bang environment and carved out much more of an NHL role than SDA.

Reactions: banks

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Leafs did extend him QO to retain his rights, but we likely won't see him again in North America.

Maple Leafs Retain Rights by Extending Qualifying Offers to Samsonov, Abruzzese and Der-Arguchintsev.​

Reactions: Ciao

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
If i had to create a perfect example of a wasted draft pick, this guy is it. Just utterly pointless.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If i had to create a perfect example of a wasted draft pick, this guy is it. Just utterly pointless.
Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 12.00.43 AM.png

Pick a name (Scott was actually bad luck), at least SDA had an upside.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

One of many.

I don't even think this deserves honourable mention though.

There are some picks who never sniff the NHL but still have a professional career, in minor leagues or overseas. They are not really bad picks, just picks that aren't good enough.

Some player might be picked in the first round because they're Bigg, and the GM has a bit of a blind spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Azail and Menzinger

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
View attachment 727893

Pick a name (Scott was actually bad luck), at least SDA had an upside.
do we still hold Kara's rights? He actually had a solid season in the KHL (20 goals) and could actually be worth a look. same with Semyon Kizimov as well.

Don't mind this. Maybe allows him to blossom into an impact players over seas and then can come over and maybe push for a spot in a couple of years.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
There was some hype for this pick at the time as a genius pick. And the Timashov pick. And the Bcracko pick.

He has been qualified so I guess the Leafs retain his rights. Kind of weird decision to make on his part. The team still wanted to keep him. He's been in Canada playing hockey since he was at least 14 years old. One more half season in the AHL may have given him a shot at a longer NHL audition. He could've signed a one year extension then bolted if an NHL opportunity wasn't in the cards.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Dubas had a presser a few years ago where he mentioned SDA as a promising prospect who's within the MLSE organization. I watched SDA as a Marlie to see what Dubas saw in him, and I wasn't impressed. I would say the only impressive thing was the fact that Dubas could pronounce his name so well. As a player he was the most invisible would-be talent in the AHL.

Reactions: Burkeocet

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It was a Dubas pick, despite him leaving. Treliving was in no way involved in the draft. It’s also a typical Dubas pick with his name written all over it.
His name was not written all over the pick they made after he left the organization. Based on your own logic, this SDA pick would have Lou written all over it because he was the GM all year and Dubas only took over right before the draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad