Prospect Info: Semyon Chistyakov, D, 117th Overall, Ufa

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Didn't he fall a loooong ways in the draft? Makes one wonder if he was never really interested in coming to NA.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
it was the 117th pick, not gonna cry to be honest. and LHD depth chart says Del Gaizo, Stastney, Wilsby, and Gravel

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
it was the 117th pick, not gonna cry to be honest. and LHD depth chart says Del Gaizo, Stastney, Wilsby, and Gravel
Del Gaizo has had a good season, and it’s tough to project across leagues. But the physicality and game Chistyakov brings… wouldn’t shock me if he’s the best amongst these guys already.

Reactions: Hose Pipe

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Kind of thought with Askarov here he might pop over. Still don't get why these guys sign 3 year deals though, I'd be going year to year, although I guess its possible he has no desire to play in the NHL.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Kind of thought with Askarov here he might pop over. Still don't get why these guys sign 3 year deals though, I'd be going year to year, although I guess its possible he has no desire to play in the NHL.
I guess we always want to imagine they are "pressured" to sign those terms, but who knows. It just doesn't seem to make a lot of "business sense", in that he was a really good KHL player... highest scoring D, young, physical.... on a KHL team that is at least playing to the 2nd round now... but we never really know the financials.

What is he really going to make in the KHL? The equivalent of $300k or $500k at best? Granted, in Year 1 of an ELC, the Preds would lowball him to the AHL minimum $70k or $80k. Although he should have been high profile enough to get the $92k signing bonus to partially mitigate that. Still less than KHL next season, probably. But if he's as good as we think/hope there's a chance he's getting $950k in Year 2. Taxes and escrow chew into that. But it also sets him on the NHL path for the longer haul... and if he's betting on himself, that is always going to be where the money is. 3 years in the KHL... well... he's gonna have to set things on fire to come over after that and make up lost ground. It just seems like such a dodgy gamble to stay back for *3 years* that you can't help but imagine there is some additional pressure being applied? :dunno: Because he can ALWAYS get the KHL money if the NHL doesn't pan out. That's not going away, ever. He is kind of just passing up the potential for a bigger payday, and over here, we can't see why he'd do that. I'm sure we'll never know. Too bad. :(

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
It doesn't have to be all financial. He may be very tied to his home because of family, property, love interests, a sense of belonging, fear of the unknown, etc. Impossible to say for sure.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It doesn't have to be all financial. He may be very tied to his home because of family, property, love interests, a sense of belonging, fear of the unknown, etc. Impossible to say for sure.
Agreed. I suspect as a KHL GM I'd certainly play on those fears too. Just not fun for the Preds to lose a guy who had taken such a nice step this year, regardless of the reasons, I guess. :(

Reactions: Kat Predator

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
I guess we always want to imagine they are "pressured" to sign those terms, but who knows. It just doesn't seem to make a lot of "business sense", in that he was a really good KHL player... highest scoring D, young, physical.... on a KHL team that is at least playing to the 2nd round now... but we never really know the financials.

What is he really going to make in the KHL? The equivalent of $300k or $500k at best? Granted, in Year 1 of an ELC, the Preds would lowball him to the AHL minimum $70k or $80k. Although he should have been high profile enough to get the $92k signing bonus to partially mitigate that. Still less than KHL next season, probably. But if he's as good as we think/hope there's a chance he's getting $950k in Year 2. Taxes and escrow chew into that. But it also sets him on the NHL path for the longer haul... and if he's betting on himself, that is always going to be where the money is. 3 years in the KHL... well... he's gonna have to set things on fire to come over after that and make up lost ground. It just seems like such a dodgy gamble to stay back for *3 years* that you can't help but imagine there is some additional pressure being applied? :dunno: Because he can ALWAYS get the KHL money if the NHL doesn't pan out. That's not going away, ever. He is kind of just passing up the potential for a bigger payday, and over here, we can't see why he'd do that. I'm sure we'll never know. Too bad. :(
all that KHL money is tax free , hes probably making mid/high 6 figures, gets to stay in a familiar culture/ nation and doesnt have to leave everything to go to a nation where Russians are villified and treated with derision i dont blame him.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
all that KHL money is tax free , hes probably making mid/high 6 figures, gets to stay in a familiar culture/ nation and doesnt have to leave everything to go to a nation where Russians are villified and treated with derision i dont blame him.
It's not "tax free", it's 10-13%, which is still a lot better than the 40-50%-ish he'd lose here through tax or escrow, but he's not getting $1M in the KHL, that's for sure. And he's not setting the table to ever get anything more down the road, like he could if he builds himself into a top-4 NHL guy. Money isn't everything, for sure. But it's also choosing to play in a 2nd-tier league when most of these guys want to compete to be The Best. Fair enough, but either way still unfortunate for us as Preds fans.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

The bolded part isn't how the things are in the KHL, if we imagine that he would sign NHL deal and totally fail in NA he would get like three times less money when he'd return.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
100,000,000 rubles is a lot of... rubles.

1678923814660.png

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Converts to 1.3 million USD.
Not much more than than what could be given at entry level nhl pay but itd be a 2 way contract and thats a huge knock
I have pretty much given up on Svechkov also. He is not doing so hot anyway.
I feel svechkov like askarov hasnt been given great opportunities at the khl level so i think he is more likely to make the jump

Reactions: Scoresberg

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
If you cannot get Russian players to come over and play or cause disruptions (see AK and Radulov), then stop drafting them. At some point, it just doesn't make sense. This is really a scouting and organizational failure. Part of the scouting should be on potential to come over, and organizationally, you need to get them over here instead of staying. The longer they stay, the more likely they will not come over.

This isn't an indictment of the KHL or Russian prospects, just a statement on the situation.

Reactions: Scoresberg and hido

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If you cannot get Russian players to come over and play or cause disruptions (see AK and Radulov), then stop drafting them. At some point, it just doesn't make sense. This is really a scouting and organizational failure. Part of the scouting should be on potential to come over, and organizationally, you need to get them over here instead of staying. The longer they stay, the more likely they will not come over.

This isn't an indictment of the KHL or Russian prospects, just a statement on the situation.
We have Trenin, Askarov, and Afanaseyev over here already and it should probably be assumed that Russia's (relatively unforeseen at the time we drafted Svechkov and Chistyakov) decision to invade and engage in a prolonged war with Ukraine has severely complicated the situations for some of these other prospects.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
We have Trenin, Askarov, and Afanaseyev over here already and it should probably be assumed that Russia's (relatively unforeseen at the time we drafted Svechkov and Chistyakov) decision to invade and engage in a prolonged war with Ukraine has severely complicated the situations for some of these other prospects.
I'll give you Askarov but Trenin and Afanasyev were already pretty much in NA when drafted.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I'll give you Askarov but Trenin and Afanasyev were already pretty much in NA when drafted.
Both of them were playing in Russia as recently as 20-21 (albeit Covid break) and there had even been all that bullshit with Trenin and his agent about him possibly staying with SKA, so not going to take any of those for granted.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Both of them were playing in Russia as recently as 20-21 (albeit Covid break) and there had even been all that bullshit with Trenin and his agent about him possibly staying with SKA, so not going to take any of those for granted.
"Albeit Covid break", Covid was the sole reason they were playing in Russia that year. In any other scenario, they're in NA at that time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad