Prospect Info: Semyon Chistyakov, D, 117th Overall, Ufa

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Was this negotiating tactics or just bad intel?
I could see it being just an honest thing. Chistyakov didn't want to be back as a #7/8 guy in Omsk, and for him coming to Milwaukee would have been better than that. But then if Omsk wanted to change that up and commit to him in a larger role, then he was more ready to re-sign there. I think it'll be just fine for him to stay there.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I could see it being just an honest thing. Chistyakov didn't want to be back as a #7/8 guy in Omsk, and for him coming to Milwaukee would have been better than that. But then if Omsk wanted to change that up and commit to him in a larger role, then he was more ready to re-sign there. I think it'll be just fine for him to stay there.

Agreed. This takes him to 21 which is a great age to come over. I have no problems with it, but selfishly I was excited to get to see his development at a closer distance.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart
Aug 25, 2009
éal
He seems to be doing quite well in the KHL. Would you consider him a lock to make the Preds next season if he comes over?

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I dont know, I dont knw much about the Predators, maybe someone else who follow them here can answer us
Chistyakov is a LD right? If so, he'd currently be behind Josi, Ekholm, and McDonagh who are all here for the long haul. Maybe we try and move Ekholm/McDonagh onto the RD if Chistyakov really shows out, but that's a tough path to get into the lineup.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I would be shocked if he comes straight over. He will be expected to play in Milwaukee for a season at minimum.
In fact he's probably not even "a lock" to come over, right? If he does, it is going to be to Milwaukee. And that may be a contributing factor to him extending for another year or two in the KHL, probably.

Which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing. If he is progressing well there, no harm in continuing... well, geopolitical considerations aside, anyway. :(

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'll be honest. It's hard to be excited for any Russian prospect right now.
Askarov? :naughty:

If we really were thinking of moving Ekholm, the idea that Chistyakov could slide right in might be part of the thinking. What he's doing in the KHL right now is really impressive. And he's not a player where it's even all about the points, the hitting is a big part of his game too.

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
I guess I should have said, in Russia.
Either way your point is well taken. Who knows when Russia will tighten any US work permits for anybody? That would include players. But, of course, getting this devastating war over is the main thing; hockey very secondary. Nevertheless, you make an excellent point.

Reactions: LCPreds

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Sign this guy..

Very impressive season for him. Really hope with all the changes going on they don't let anything fall through the cracks... I have no doubt the KHL is going to be trying to pressure him to stay there on a multi-year deal now that he is very firmly established as a top player there. We have to get ahead of that and give him the best possible offer to get him here instead. Don't cut corners or play coy. Give him the ELC max, including bonuses if that's what it takes. You would do that if he was a top Euro or NCAA free agent. Yes, instead you drafted him in the 4th round. But forget that, it's more important to get him in house. Don't lose 2 or 3 years just over a few thousand dollars or some fictional idea of "precedent". He has done more than could have been expected for a player from that draft spot. Treat him accordingly.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I thought I read he really wants to stay in the KHL now.
He probably will... I mean, here, he'll get offered $80,000 to play in Milwaukee for a year. He'll get A LOT more in the KHL.

We'd have to woo hard to overcome that discrepancy. I doubt our front office is putting a lot of energy into "wooing" at this point.
:dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah, like I said on the prospect board I think this is an awful decision for him. He had an amazing KHL season. A lot of nice things about his game. He probably would have been in Milwaukee next season, but we do have opportunities now, and he might be better than our other prospects on D so outside chance he could have made NHL.

But we kind of have to write him off if he’s gone for 3 more years. We’ll seek and find other options in that time.
:dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad