Semin vs Vanek

Koivu 11

Jul 23, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
While I see a ton of mixed feelings toward the Semin signing, I feel anything but excitement is wrong. If it doesn't work out...who cares? In comparison to what MB gave up for Vanek (even though Collberg hasn't exactly panned out yet he was still an upper-level prospect and second rounder), a free gamble who has that same offensive potential and skill is terrific. Look at how Pacioretty's offensive game grew with an actual top line talent by his side (yes that is a shot at DD) and how free he was to get open while Vanek held the puck and made plays.

Their skating isn't even comparable at this point as Semin is obviously a much better fit in that regard, and while Vanek is the better playmaker and certainly a nifty one-on-one player, Semin's ability to keep the puck on a string is fun to watch, and will undoubtedly create more chances than Pacioretty had without either of them.

Semin's shot (lol) is ridiculous too, so the threat of shots coming from both sides, or even to be the shooter next to Plex/Eller/Chucky makes him a potentially even better fit than Vanek was during his time in Blue-Blanc et Rouge.

Can't wait to see how it all pans out! GHG

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Vanek in his prime was a complete plalyer. Offense, Defense, hands tipping in front. Silky smooth. Later in his career he got slower and is probably a perimeter player.

Semin has elite skills and probably better wrist shot that Ovechkin, he's not a powerful skater like OV but it all comes down to heart. I don't think Semin has that drive like Koivu or Gallagher, he's more of a perimeter shooter. He's not as talented as Kovalev. He's more of a poor man's Kovalchuk. Still if he can put up half the effort, he'll score 20 goals easily.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
This is an easy choice.

Semin.

He's on our roster. Vanek will never play for the Habs. Worrying about him is pointless.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Vanek in his prime was a complete plalyer. Offense, Defense, hands tipping in front. Silky smooth. Later in his career he got slower and is probably a perimeter player.

Semin has elite skills and probably better wrist shot that Ovechkin, he's not a powerful skater like OV but it all comes down to heart. I don't think Semin has that drive like Koivu or Gallagher, he's more of a perimeter shooter. He's not as talented as Kovalev. He's more of a poor man's Kovalchuk. Still if he can put up half the effort, he'll score 20 goals easily.

Vanek completely disappears in a track meet. Semin won't (tho he may turn it over).

Watching video of Semin in the playoffs, he doesn't look afraid to use his size and go into traffic. And I've seen countless highlights of him fighting through checks, hooks, etc. and continuing the play, then deking out 2-3 guys and scoring. I don't trust hockey fans in DC and Carolina to know the truth, and I don't trust what I've heard from the media until I see it myself. I also don't fully trust the advanced stats. But most of all I don't trust MT.

If he's playing the right role with the right linemates, I think he'll be motivated. Problem is MT, not Semin.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Vanek completely disappears in a track meet. Semin won't (tho he may turn it over).

Watching video of Semin in the playoffs, he doesn't look afraid to use his size and go into traffic. And I've seen countless highlights of him fighting through checks, hooks, etc. and continuing the play, then deking out 2-3 guys and scoring. I don't trust hockey fans in DC and Carolina to know the truth, and I don't trust what I've heard from the media until I see it myself. I also don't fully trust the advanced stats. But most of all I don't trust MT.

If he's playing the right role with the right linemates, I think he'll be motivated. Problem is MT, not Semin.

I've seen Semin (in a montage), on his knees, dangling the puck past two defenders who tried to take it and scoring on a top shelf wrist shot past a bewildered G.

It's hard to believe that a player that continues to try and score on those plays is the type of player that doesn't give a flying fig about hockey!

It's likely a question of consistency. Then again, if players like semin, Kovalev and others always tried to dangle the puck, they'd be predictable and plays like that wouldn't have as high a success rate.

There is no doubt that Semin's wrist shot is sick! Not unlike Ovechkin, he is quite capable of using the opponent as a screen and releasing his shot in a split-second once he sees the opening.

I can't wait to see his attitude and hope he becomes a fan favourite like Kovalev did. However, if he has a great year, I wonder if management will risk the big, long term contract he will seek at 32 after proving he still has fuel in the tank?

Semin might be here for only one season, good or bad...

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Compare Semin's salary to Vanek's. He's a bargain and a half. Besides, he's signed for only one year. No cap worries. Semin >> Vanek when you take everything into consideration.

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I've seen Semin (in a montage), on his knees, dangling the puck past two defenders who tried to take it and scoring on a top shelf wrist shot past a bewildered G.

It's hard to believe that a player that continues to try and score on those plays is the type of player that doesn't give a flying fig about hockey!

It's likely a question of consistency. Then again, if players like semin, Kovalev and others always tried to dangle the puck, they'd be predictable and plays like that wouldn't have as high a success rate.

There is no doubt that Semin's wrist shot is sick! Not unlike Ovechkin, he is quite capable of using the opponent as a screen and releasing his shot in a split-second once he sees the opening.

I can't wait to see his attitude and hope he becomes a fan favourite like Kovalev did. However, if he has a great year, I wonder if management will risk the big, long term contract he will seek at 32 after proving he still has fuel in the tank?

Semin might be here for only one season, good or bad...

Semin will be here 1 season at most,if he lives up to his ability,will cost too much later.Could be here less than that,if not much after 10 games,off to AHL.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Please lower your expectations for Semin, otherwise you will end-up severely disappointed.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
Please lower your expectations for Semin, otherwise you will end-up severely disappointed.

Exactly. What's the over/under for the # of games before Semin is a healthy scratch? 'Round about US Thanksgiving?

Still, Semin at 1 year x $1.1 million is infinitely better than Vanek's current contract.

Who knows, maybe Semin will be effective on the PP, and hopefully he adequately replaces PAP in shootouts.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Exactly. What's the over/under for the # of games before Semin is a healthy scratch? 'Round about US Thanksgiving?

Still, Semin at 1 year x $1.1 million is infinitely better than Vanek's current contract.

Who knows, maybe Semin will be effective on the PP, and hopefully he adequately replaces PAP in shootouts.

Fully agree, I'm happy with the signing as well but at the end of the day, he should be judged based on a 1.1 million dollar contract.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Perhaps you should trust players who have played with him. Brouwer, Steckel, and Matt Bradley have all publicly bashed his attitude and work ethic.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
Vanek. I've never been so delighted to watch hockey than when Pacioretty - Desharnais - Vanek were on the ice. They were magicians out there.

Player 61

#Winning
Aug 4, 2007
West Island
Seriously? I think many of you think Semin is a bargain Kovalev, I don't like crushing dreams. Kovalev actually gave a Shat. So Bargain is the first problem... you get what you pay for. I've been around the block, it's like buying those fish monkey's from the comic books. Some of you know what that means.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
Vanek is a better player than Semin at this point.

You can make arguments about their contracts, which are valid, but Vanek's production would likely be better.
I'm still excited about Semin and hopeful he can go back to 20 goal form at the very least.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Seriously? I think many of you think Semin is a bargain Kovalev, I don't like crushing dreams. Kovalev actually gave a Shat. So Bargain is the first problem... you get what you pay for. I've been around the block, it's like buying those fish monkey's from the comic books. Some of you know what that means.

My sea monkeys came as advertised. 45 goals in 70 games. Paid a dollar.

I'm also typing this wearing xray glasses and I'll be blunt: you have a giant mustard stain on your undershirt. At least I hope that's mustard.

The question is, do we prefer Alex Seamonkey or Alex Seaman?

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Vanek is a better player than Semin at this point.

You can make arguments about their contracts, which are valid, but Vanek's production would likely be better.
I'm still excited about Semin and hopeful he can go back to 20 goal form at the very least.

Well, yeah, of course. I mean, Vanek was a $6.5 million 21 goal scorer last year. That's lower than Semin's career average, and he is playing for $1.1 million next season. Unless Vanek scores 6X more than Semin next year, it's hard to assert that Vanek would be more useful to us. Because both guys are pretty equivalent away from the puck, beyond scoring.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Lol people are gonna be so disappointed if they expect the Semin of Capitals glory

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Vanek is a unidimensional forward who is terrible defensively. I highly doubt he ever knew what two-way play was and apparently was never used in a shutdown role until he got stuffed with Pleks. Semin can at least contribute defensively and on the penalty kill if his offense is all dried up.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Vanek is a unidimensional forward who is terrible defensively...

I don't think that's fair. I wouldn't call him the most physically committed player on defense, but being an experienced vet alone, he is certainly positionally sound and competent playing system hockey at a bare minimum. I don't think he misses reads defensively as much as occasionally cheats toward offensive anticipation, for example. I'd agree that his inclination in general allows for the "unidimensional" tag to a certain extent, though. Wouldn't exactly say he excels outside the offensive zone.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I don't think that's fair. I wouldn't call him the most physically committed player on defense, but being an experienced vet alone, he is certainly positionally sound and competent playing system hockey at a bare minimum. I don't think he misses reads defensively as much as occasionally cheats toward offensive anticipation, for example. I'd agree that his inclination in general allows for the "unidimensional" tag to a certain extent, though. Wouldn't exactly say he excels outside the offensive zone.
His biggest problem is that he isn't very athletic anymore. This league is so young and so athletic that players that lose a step can't get by on skill alone anymore like they used to. If you can't skate and keep up you're pretty much useless.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Vanek had an "off" season and putrid playoffs, playing on the a better team than Semin. I think they are going to have pretty similar seasons. I except both to have a 50pts campaign.

I'd say they are comparable players, Vanek is more consistent offensively, Semin is better defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad