WC: Semifinal Pre-Game Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I'm kinda surprised Czechs opted for the early game. Thinking the 4-5 extra hours of rest gives them an advantage in the final? those dastardly Czechs. :)

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
small point, but I don't think he was on the junior team in 05. :) iirc he was a late cut.

hmmm....NOt to Nitpick, BUT I think we were both wrong. He (Brent Burns ) wasn't a late cut. If memory serves, He played on the previous year's team at forward ( as did Dawes & Stewart ) and HC + Sutter wanted him back for our 2005 WJ Dream Team, But Minny was trying to convert him to D, and said u can have him, BUT only as a Dman...HC + Sutter said no dice!

Last edited:

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
I'm kinda surprised Czechs opted for the early game. Thinking the 4-5 extra hours of rest gives them an advantage in the final? those dastardly Czechs. :)

Tut tut...think they were more worried about playing the late game vs Canada, then the early game vs Yanks for Bronze, putting them at a distinct disadvantage ( which it would have )

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
hmmm....NOt to Nitpick, BUT I think we were both wrong. He (Brent Burns ) wasn't a late cut. If memory serves, He played on the previous year's team at forward ( as did Dawes & Stewart ) and HC + Sutter wanted him back for our 2005 WJ Dream Team, But Minny was trying to convert him to D, and said u can have him, BUT only as a Dman...HC + Sutter said no dice!

Right you are! He was with Minni. Turns out we didn't need him. I sure hope Hockey Canada rewards this player though with a World Cup/Olympic assignment. He's been a good soldier showing up at these WHC. His 4th tournament already.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Right you are! He was with Minni. Turns out we didn't need him. I sure hope Hockey Canada rewards this player though with a World Cup/Olympic assignment. He's been a good soldier showing up at these WHC. His 4th tournament already.

Good soldier he may be, Still Mighty tough to crack our A Team D..

TheWestWing

Nov 22, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Be forewarned - no live TV here in the Colonies until the gold medal game on Sunday. Nuttin but EPL football on NBCSN.

They'll be streaming it on their app but what's the point of (only) showing USA games during the tournament then wussing out on the semis. They'll never get hockey right.

Praha 1985

Apr 24, 2015
6-3 maybe looks bad for Czechs, but you certainly didn't see the game. It was really close and the sixth goal was an empty netter. We also had Salak in a net which maybe cost us that game (yeah I know it's a bold statement but anyway..) so if Pavelec will push it to the limit, we could even win. I really believe that it's not the fact I'm Czech.

Salak only played 1 game and a little bit more than one period here. Against Sweden and Latvia. Then finally Ruzicka had enough.
Not to say that Pavelec has been impressive either.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Be forewarned - no live TV here in the Colonies until the gold medal game on Sunday. Nuttin but EPL football on NBCSN.

They'll be streaming it on their app but what's the point of (only) showing USA games during the tournament then wussing out on the semis. They'll never get hockey right.

Idiocy. They're not even showing the game later. Would have been fun to go to a bar in the evening to watch it.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Fair enough. This is Team Canada B team, vs. other nations A or B teams.

Which countries have their A teams?

He's entitled to the opinion and I'm entitled to refute the claim. case closed.

Except you went on about how much better the Olympic team is as if that isn't always true of every team in every World Championship. If you disagree that this is a "dream team" by WC standards then that's a separate argument which you weren't really making, one that I'd agree with as Canada has had similarly stacked teams in the past.

Yeah but the fact is this isn't Canada's dream team. I get that for the World Championship this roster looks good compared to everybody else but look at it from a Canadian's view point...this team is lacking so many of our true star players that calling this a dream team is laughable.

I think a lot of people on here are calling this a "dream team" so if Canada does lose they can take some huge credit in beating Canada's best when in fact this is far from our dream team. Check out the 2014 Olympic team if you want to see our dream team. Having guys like Savard, Spezza, Muzzin, Smith, Jones, Schenn, Ennis on this team and calling it a dream team is hilarious.

The perspectives some people have are so hilariously warped. No one thinks this is "Canada's best". Talk about paranoia. Christ.

They have commitments to the English Premier League. They're paying a whole lot of money for those rights. Now, they could put this game on another one of their channels I suppose -- I wish they would -- but it's easy understand why they can't put it on NBCSN.

Last edited:

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Salak only played 1 game and a little bit more than one period here. Against Sweden and Latvia. Then finally Ruzicka had enough.
Not to say that Pavelec has been impressive either.

Pretty sure Pavelec was chosen player of game vs Canada...he wasn't to blame for Czech loss...

MaHCK

May 12, 2015
Vienna
I laugh when people consider this Canada's "Dream Team." Lots of offense in this version of Team Canada, but there exists so many holes in the roster compared to our Olympic team (aka the real Dream Team).

This Team Canada would win the Stanley Cup for sure

Van Buren Boy

--------------------
Aug 18, 2006
If it was a Canada-Russia final i am wondering if McClellan would have Couturier shadow Malkin. I wonder how that would go on the big ice. They actually mentioned it last game that Couturier was the only player not to be scored on at even strength on the team.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah but the fact is this isn't Canada's dream team. I get that for the World Championship this roster looks good compared to everybody else but look at it from a Canadian's view point...this team is lacking so many of our true star players that calling this a dream team is laughable.

I think a lot of people on here are calling this a "dream team" so if Canada does lose they can take some huge credit in beating Canada's best when in fact this is far from our dream team. Check out the 2014 Olympic team if you want to see our dream team. Having guys like Savard, Spezza, Muzzin, Smith, Jones, Schenn, Ennis on this team and calling it a dream team is hilarious.

Yes, obviously this is no dream team, and I agree about the agenda. You will still see Russians boasting about beating Canada's 2008 WC team and how is was "nearly" the Canadian Olympic team, despite that being far from the truth. If a team loses, well it's easily justified as a loss to Canada's "dream team". If they win, it's a noteworthy achievement as they beat Canada's "dream team". Just because it might be a dream team for some other country doesn't make it so for Canada.

Brent Burns @forward was also on our 2005 WJC Dream Team, + RUS also had Malkin. Same teams met in semis as well...Can/Cze , USA/Rus

small point, but I don't think he was on the junior team in 05. :) iirc he was a late cut.

Yeah Minnesota wouldn't release him. The 2013 team was the only Canadian team without a single player missing, outside of injuries.

What? Canada's roster is never even close to the caliber. It's usually loaded with KHL guys (Nigel Dawes etc.), hence the early exists. This year is an extreme oddity and it still isn't even close to a dream team.

Some years the quality of the roster is very similar, and it is never loaded with KHL or European based players.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Yes, obviously this is no dream team, and I agree about the agenda. You will still see Russians boasting about beating Canada's 2008 WC team and how is was "nearly" the Canadian Olympic team, despite that being far from the truth. If a team loses, well it's easily justified as a loss to Canada's "dream team". If they win, it's a noteworthy achievement as they beat Canada's "dream team". Just because it might be a dream team for some other country doesn't make it so for Canada.

Yeah Minnesota wouldn't release him. The 2013 team was the only Canadian team without a single player missing, outside of injuries.

Some years the quality of the roster is very similar, and it is never loaded with KHL or European based players.

This was exactly my feeling when I was reading comments about canadian B,C,D teams. If we win it, good for us, if not it was just our C team. And even in this case of "dream team" that "protection" is comming from your/canadian side which make you definetely look oversensitive to thoughts that somebody could say "my team (i.e. other than canadian) is the worlds best team". If you really suspect other fans being completely blind and ignorant to olympic competitions or to rosters, just keep continue... But when some people here can go that farther evaluating WJC as not best of best and spending time looking for juniors who can not participate, there is something to think about..... You can be definetely more generous in this topic IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad