GDT: Semifinal - May 19 - Canada vs Switzerland

Status
Not open for further replies.

EK47

Jukka Jalonen should be in all the hall of fames.
Feb 7, 2013
They beat Finland they beat Canada, sure Sweden may be favourites but it’s by no means a free gold.

Reactions: DDRhockey

lakers11

Aug 23, 2014
Sweden is just too good

Next WC should be playoffs with all the lesser teams (Canada, Finland etc) where the winner of it all gets to meet Sweden. No reason for Sweden to play the group stage and play offs, they win it all either way.

Reactions: bDtKarlsson

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
They were never able to get too many odd-manes rush or pull a Swiss defender or forward out of the box in front of Genoni.

It was going to have to be some weird deflection or something because they didn't get too many open looks.

Yes, that's true. The boys are well aware that against powerhouse teams, one can't give them odd man rushes and in general be a bit cavalier defense-wise. They played a perfect game on defense.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Reading comprehension, you literally need it.
I wasn't making a case for the 'free gold' argument but you still had to try to explain why you're against it..

Oh boy the classical reading comphrension.

"The argument in the 'free gold' discussions are the final matchup, always."

You know in my OP i made the argument why i was against it, so maybe you're the one who needs better reading comphrension (i hate saying that to people because i'd rather argue the point honestly). Why would you even reply to my OP if to only point out that the free gold argument is for the final match-up, when i clearly made an argument against it. Given the context of it the only logical explanation of your post would be to argue against my point otherwise it doesn't make sense.

Reading comphrension posts are literally the cancer of this forum.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
While it feels sour as a fan losing in a playoff game in an international tournament (I mean seriously, which fan following international hockey hasn't had that heart crushing moment, several times? No one!), you still have to give some respect to the format in itself. Sure, it's a dead or alive game. Sure, hockey is a game of small chances. That smaller nations can start to regularly be close to upsetting regular nations in international hockey is awesome. It makes it all more interesting. And sure, this isn't a round 7, but that's not the spirit of international hockey. It's do or die, one game. This is the moment.

And I also feel it's sad that not more NHL players are interested in representing their country, which says something of how grueling an 82 game season really is.
As a ardent observer of international hockey since I was 10 years old...

I don't believe that anymore... this is the best chance the Swiss have ever had at gold...
That might certainly be true and I hold no illusions of a gold medal game being easy, I don't think the Swedish players do either. The Swiss are playing a gold medal game for a reason. They've done it before.

But still, I like Sweden's chances. We've always had their number, even if they are a worthy opponent.

Reactions: Se829ne

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Still the teams canada sends to whc these days are much higher quality then 20 years ago.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Even as a swede I would not be sad to lose the gold to Switzerland (that has never won, from what I know)...look forward for great gold and bronze medal games.

On another topic, all people saying swiss won against a bad canada team...well, might be true...but a bad canada team is still better then most teams...mcdavid, barzal, parayko, nh, o'reilly etc still a better team than most...but agree, the goaltending was not great and defence was so so...but don't blame them for all...offence must produce and they didn't.

I would be dissapointed by a loss for Sweden tomorrow, but happy it was the Swiss of all countries who did win.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Yes, that's true. The boys are well aware that against powerhouse teams, one can't give them odd man rushes and in general be a bit cavalier defense-wise. They played a perfect game on defense.
Gave two rushes. One goal and one kept out of the net only by nothing less than a miracle by Genoni. Not something you want to let Canada do too often

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
This tournament really turned me off of Aaron Ekblad

I dont get to watch to much Florida games, but my god this guy tries to force way too many plays. Even some of the announcers commented on some low IQ plays like shooting the puck instantly off a won draw with zero traffic in front of the net.

Ill reserve judgement as it is just a tournament, but I did not like his game these past weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad