Semi OT: NBA Hornets to San Jose?

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Haha, that`s really funny FacePalm -- trying to make things personal is not a form of valid argument. It is called ad hominen (look it up). I am not an indiscriminate sports fan like you apparently. I have no interest in the NBA, NASCAR or WWE and I don`t judge the quality of my existence according to how many American entertainment options are at my disposal.

GHOST

this is not a vaild arguement because you don't have those options live. He does. And no, it has nothing to do with "Toronto elitism" ghost.

You live in Winnipeg, the fact Vancouver wants an NBA or MLB(you like baseball?) has nothing to do with Winnipeg in the first place.
You are also inconsiderate of the fact the majority of canadians are not hockey or even sports fans.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
this is not a vaild arguement because you don't have those options live. He does. And no, it has nothing to do with "Toronto elitism" ghost.

You live in Winnipeg, the fact Vancouver wants an NBA or MLB(you like baseball?) has nothing to do with Winnipeg in the first place. You are also inconsiderate of the fact the majority of canadians are not hockey or even sports fans.

That is nice to know. Are you making assumptions?

GHOST

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
No he's making to the point Vancouver getting the NBA team has ultimately nothing to do with you, and the fact you ignore that these options should exsist because not even likes hockey!
Intresting you ignore the rest of his post.

And you don't have an NBA or MLB team so you don't have those options "live"

He Lied to Mario

May 16, 2009
You mean the NBA team in Buffalo that folded after a few years in the 1970s and moved to LA? I think that fact supports my argument, not to mention that Buffalo has been a city in relative decline over the past several decades. Do you think it makes sense to add additional major pro sport franchise to a city that may be having trouble supporting existing ones such as the NFL Bills?

GHOST

So the fact that an NBA team failed in the 70s supports the fact that the Sabres would somehow be pushed out by a new NBA team? By the way they didn't move to LA, they moved to San Diego. You're sounding like a Stefan LaFors fan to me. :laugh:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
http://www.ktvu.com/sports/26384300/detail.html

As a Sharks STH, god I hope not. I can remember the year the Warriors played in the Tank while the Oakland Coliseum Arena was being renovated - the ice really sucked (even more than usual), the arena was a mess on days after Warriors games, and I saw more damage to the arena (seats, holes in walls, etc) during that year than all other years combined.

didn't they move three years ago or something?

Last edited:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
didn't they move three years ago or something?

Nope. The Warriors have played at the Oakland Coliseum Arena (now Oracle Arena) since moving from SF in 1971 (they actually started playing some games there as early as 1966 when it opened) - except for one season ('96-'97) when they played at the Tank while the Oakland Coliseum Arena was being renovated.

edit: In 2006, Larry bought the naming rights and the Oakland Coliseum Arena became Oracle Arena - that may be what you were thinking about.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Nope. The Warriors have played at the Oakland Coliseum Arena (now Oracle Arena) since moving from SF in 1971 (they actually started playing some games there as early as 1966 when it opened) - except for one season ('96-'97) when they played at the Tank while the Oakland Coliseum Arena was being renovated.

edit: In 2006, Larry bought the naming rights and the Oakland Coliseum Arena became Oracle Arena - that may be what you were thinking about.

The topic is the HORNETS not the worriors

didn't the hornets just move to the city of Jazz

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Yes, 2001. Thats why this is so shocking....

HOW DID YOU THINK Oklahoma City became an option after Katrina, getty----the Hornets showed that OKC was an option, that the Sonics franchise took over that market.

Utah had left way before then, and that's why Bob Johnson got awarded the Bobcats

bosshogg18

Oct 26, 2009
Lyle, WA, Tacoma, WA
The Key/refusal of the city to build a new one was part of the reason they left, but I wouldn't discount the new owners' having an agenda strictly geared toward getting the team to Oklahoma City from the get-go.

There wasn't another agenda. For them to keep the team in Seattle was a joke. They purposely cut ties with the city. Sonic players were not even allowed to give interviews on local radio. They traded away the franchises top 2 players in Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis right before Kevin Durant arrived. Also Clay Bennett and other co-owners had talked about how they wanted to move the team "back home."
Seattle never had a chance. Howard Schultz is as much to blame as anyone for selling the team to owners from a city who were trying to buy the Hornets and keep/move them to OKC.
I have lived in both OKC and Seattle and have seen both sides of the issues, and Seattle got hosed. Seattle fans are great fans and deserve their team back...I would also like to see the NHL come to town once a new arena is built.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

I would love to see more pro teams in Canada!

I think an NBA team in Montreal could work as well. You have a city with a GMA of nearly 4 million people with only 1 professional team in the BIG 4. AS for the other 2 CFL and MLS, the revenues required for both are not so substantial that it would hinder the city's chances at gaining an NBA team.

I look at all the cities with NBA teams currently and there is no doubt in my mind that Montreal could be a top 15 team revenue wise, with a good chance at being top 10.

Outside of Toronto, no area in Canada seems to have as much passion for baseball as Vancouver. It seems to be the place where most of Canada's future MLB ballplayers have come from so I assume there is great grassroots support in the area. I believe an MLB team would be quite popular there and the population of Vancouver is large enough and wealthy enough to support such an endeavour.

Unfortunately, the federal gov't is not in the business of giving money for stadiums right now and I would guess a new baseball stadium for 37000-40000 fans would cost $350 million minimum. If the push was there for major league baseball to expand into vancouver, you might find someone wealthy enough willing to put up half the costs, with the provincial and municipal gov't footing the other half.....but I don;t think it will happen. I can dream though!:D

Back to the topic, I'd like to see the Hornets move to Kansas City instead of San Jose. College basketball is popular there so I'm sure the NBA would be as well and the new arena would finally have their primary tenant.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Hornets have had struggles with fans before and after Katrina

NBA should have just left them in OKC instead of putting them back in NO

everybody knew then that OKC was a temporary site for the Hornets, though, and you can't claim that Bennett knew he wasn't getting a new arena, but struck the deal to leave the Storm in Seattle based off the business climate in Washington State...

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
I don't think NBA teams will work in Canada. Trust me it would be awesome to have a team in Montreal and Vancoubver but basketball players have huge egos and they don't want to play in Canada. Would be very hard to compete.

MLB would definitely work in Montreal and Vancouver if both can get a downtown stadium. BC Place with the new roof is very nice and if Montreal can get a 35,000 stadium downtown, baseball would work.

Montreal did not move because it did not support baseball, it moved because of stadium location and MLB's total disregard for the franchise.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
everybody knew then that OKC was a temporary site for the Hornets, though, and you can't claim that Bennett knew he wasn't getting a new arena, but struck the deal to leave the Storm in Seattle based off the business climate in Washington State...

Yes , But I am saying NBA would have been better off having Hornets owner sell Hornets to guy who bought Sonics

And then sold the Sonics to a local group

OKC gets Hornets
Sonics would have stayed in Seattle (At least temp)

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
I don't think NBA teams will work in Canada. Trust me it would be awesome to have a team in Montreal and Vancoubver but basketball players have huge egos and they don't want to play in Canada. Would be very hard to compete.

MLB would definitely work in Montreal and Vancouver if both can get a downtown stadium. BC Place with the new roof is very nice and if Montreal can get a 35,000 stadium downtown, baseball would work.

Montreal did not move because it did not support baseball, it moved because of stadium location and MLB's total disregard for the franchise.

Of course, this is a hockey forum and not an NBA one, so perhaps on an NBA forum we might find Canadian basketball fans claiming that the NBA should have more teams in Canada, that if properly fostered the NBA could work there, etc, etc...

But at least here, Canadians openly admit that the NBA likely won't work in Canada (beyond Toronto), something that almost nobody from the southern fringes of the US are willing to admit about the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad