Semi OT: NBA Hornets to San Jose?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
http://www.ktvu.com/sports/26384300/detail.html

Rumors Swirl That Ellison Could Bring Hornets To San Jose

Posted: 10:19 pm PST January 5, 2011Updated: 12:20 am PST January 6, 2011

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Forbes.com reported Wednesday that Oracle CEO Larry Ellison was considering buying the New Orleans Hornets basketball team and moving the club to San Jose.

Currently the Hornets are owned by the National Basketball Association. The NBA bought the team last month because it was in financial trouble.

The possibility is that the Hornets would play at HP Pavilion, where the San Jose Sharks hockey team plays, effectively making the Shark Tank the "Hornets' Nest" part of the time.

Ellison weighed in on the Forbes report while in San Francisco Wednesday celebrating the city winning it's bid to host the America's Cup.

"Not true," said Ellison. "I did offer $350 million for the Hornets and I think I was slightly outbid by the NBA."

Still, the Hornets arena lease ends in 2014 and the team isn't attracting fans. And Ellison has made it plain that he wants to have his own a professional sports franchise.

The South Bay has surfaced as the possible destination for several local sports teams in the past. Both the Oakland A's and the San Francisco 49ers are currently pursuing possible moves to San Jose and Santa Clara respectively.

"We're optimistic but not counting on it until we hear from Larry Ellison or somebody representing him as to what their intentions are," said San Jose Mayor Chuck Reed.

"We built the arena 20 years ago with the expectation that we would have a NBA team there.t whether that happens now or five years from now, we're ready," said San Jose City Councilman Sam Liccardo.

The Sharks issued a statement Wednesday night saying there are no NBA discussions underway but quote: "We have always been open to the possibility of being home to any other property that could provide 40 plus events to our calendar."

As a Sharks STH, god I hope not. I can remember the year the Warriors played in the Tank while the Oakland Coliseum Arena was being renovated - the ice really sucked (even more than usual), the arena was a mess on days after Warriors games, and I saw more damage to the arena (seats, holes in walls, etc) during that year than all other years combined.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
http://www.ktvu.com/sports/26384300/detail.html

As a Sharks STH, god I hope not. I can remember the year the Warriors played in the Tank while the Oakland Coliseum Arena was being renovated - the ice really sucked (even more than usual), the arena was a mess on days after Warriors games, and I saw more damage to the arena (seats, holes in walls, etc) during that year than all other years combined.

will it affect attendance?

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Have the Hornets' low attendances been due to the aftermath of Katrina, or did they average low attendance even before the hurricane hit?

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
The largest metropolitan arean in North America without an NBA team currently is......

Montreal

Seattle is a close second.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
If true, that's a kick in the teeth to Seattle.

Has the Seattle arena situation changed? It seems that a great part of the reason given for why the Sonics left town was because the owner stated he wasn't happy with the Key. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
Has the Seattle arena situation changed? It seems that a great part of the reason given for why the Sonics left town was because the owner stated he wasn't happy with the Key. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I was living in the Seattle area when the whole SuperSonics fiasco went down. The big issue was Key Arena, and rightfully so. The arena is possibly one of the worst I have ever been to. Its location is anything but ideal, and it is simply old and drafty.

If Seattle wants to get an NBA team back the city needs to build a stadium next to Quest and ask the Seahawks what their marketing strategy is. I cannot begin to explain how bat s*** crazy they are over the Seachickens up there. I couldn't tell you why, but they love them.

If Larry Ellison wants a professional sports franchise then just

BUY THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
The Key/refusal of the city to build a new one was part of the reason they left, but I wouldn't discount the new owners' having an agenda strictly geared toward getting the team to Oklahoma City from the get-go.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Murky News tosses cold water on the Hornets to San Jose rumors.

http://www.mercurynews.com/warriors/ci_17021762

Ellison tried to buy New Orleans Hornets but dampens hopes of NBA team in San Jose

By Brandon Bailey
[email protected]
Posted: 01/05/2011 10:20:45 PM PST
Updated: 01/06/2011 07:47:36 AM PST

SAN FRANCISCO -- Larry Ellison, the billionaire CEO of Oracle who's had extraordinary success buying a string of tech companies, confirmed Wednesday that he recently failed in a second attempt to buy a professional basketball franchise, fewer than six months after his surprising loss in a bidding war for the Golden State Warriors.

"I did offer $350 million" for the New Orleans Hornets, Ellison told reporters, adding that he was "slightly outbid" by the National Basketball Association when the league bought the bankrupt team last month from owners George Shinn and Gary Chouest.

Ellison's comments put a damper on the hope floated in a Forbes blog post that he planned to buy the team and move it to San Jose.

The prospect was warmly greeted by San Jose officials, intrigued with the notion of another pro franchise moving to the city, but Ellison flatly said the report was "not true.''

Ellison later told Bay Area News Group that he had not made up his mind about what to do with the Hornets, had he been able to buy them. "I was trying to buy the team first, and then figure out what I was going to do with it," he said.

Word of Ellison's interest in the Hornets didn't surface until Wednesday when Forbes blogger Mike Ozanian said a "source" suggested Ellison would buy the Hornets for about $300 million and then pay the Warriors an additional $150 million for the legal right to operate a second NBA franchise in the Bay Area.

Ozanian said his source suggested the Hornets could become roommates with the San Jose Sharks and play home games at HP Pavilion.

Sharks executive Malcolm Bordelon said Wednesday that he was aware of the speculation and that the Sharks' owners were "by all means" interested in sharing the arena with a pro basketball team.

"From a facilities standpoint and from a downtown business standpoint, it makes complete sense," said Bordelon, the Sharks' executive vice president of business operations.

But he added that the Sharks have had "virtually no discussions" with Ellison, "though we are obviously open to having those discussions."

The Warriors, however, appeared to view the prospect dimly. In an e-mailed statement, Lacob suggested that it wouldn't make business sense for Ellison to pay $450 million and still have to share the Bay Area market with the Warriors.

Lacob also seemed to suggest that he would not be eager to share that market with another team. "We bought the Golden State Warriors; that is, the NBA team of Oakland, San Jose and San Francisco, the Bay Area," he wrote.

"We feel that we paid a full but fair price for THAT opportunity."

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
The Key/refusal of the city to build a new one was part of the reason they left, but I wouldn't discount the new owners' having an agenda strictly geared toward getting the team to Oklahoma City from the get-go.

Oh, I also know that there was also an agenda to move the team to Oklahoma City, but the arena problem in Seattle played into the owner's hands to justify the move.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Key Arena @ Seattle Center

try the State of Washington, not King County, being the roadblock, besides Seattle Center Coliseum had its naming rights expire on 12/31/10.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.

Hmm. Are you suggested the NBA attracts a different clientele even in San Jose?

I would have thought Kansas City would be in line for the Hornets with AEG pulling the strings.

GHOST

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
No way. The Warriors would kick up an almighty stink over it, and the NBA wouldn't sell to Ellison in a million years.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
Hmm. Are you suggested the NBA attracts a different clientele even in San Jose?

I would have thought Kansas City would be in line for the Hornets with AEG pulling the strings.

GHOST

Interesting thought......since AEG apparently is getting out of LA, right? Well....at least they want out of LA hockey. It would be weird if they sold their part of the Los Angeles Kings so they could buy a stake in (or all of) a Kansas City NBA franchise.

It's tough to say what AEG wants.......but it is easy to say that what they want they will probably be what they get.

If they want an NBA team in Buffalo or Saskatoon ( :sarcasm: ) .....they will probably get it.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
NBA wants that market sealed up namely because of what it is. Stereotypes aside, its a predominately African American city in Nola (former Mayor Naggin did refer to it as Chocolate City IIRC after Katrina and his reelection) and also has one the leagues most electric players in CP3. California getting a fourth team when Sacramento and LAC can't even keep attendance up isn't exactly the way for NorCal to make a vy for it, especially when contraction is in the talks with Stern and how many other teams around the league?? STL would be the best option IMO.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
NBA wants that market sealed up namely because of what it is. Stereotypes aside, its a predominately African American city in Nola (former Mayor Naggin did refer to it as Chocolate City IIRC after Katrina and his reelection) and also has one the leagues most electric players in CP3. California getting a fourth team when Sacramento and LAC can't even keep attendance up isn't exactly the way for NorCal to make a vy for it, especially when contraction is in the talks with Stern and how many other teams around the league?? STL would be the best option IMO.

California already has 4 teams - Lakers, Clippers, Warriors and Kings.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
The Hornets in San Jose? There's already teams in Sacramento and Oakland. There's ten cities that could support the Hornets better. Keep it in New Orleans, Kansas City, Nashville, Louisville, Seattle, St. Louis, and a couple others.

Send them to Pittsburgh.

They could use another loser team (settle down, settle down - to go with the Pirates).

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Send em to Vancouver, the grizzlies should have never left anyway.

I beg to differ. Canucks sell out. Giants have fantastic attendance. Whitecaps begin play in MLS this year. Major reno of BC Place should help Lions. AHL team in Abbotsford. ECHL team in Victoria. Not to mention BCHL teams and Univ sports etc. It`s all good. Don`t mess with success. No need for NBA in Vancouver in my bias opinion!

GHOST

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad