Olympics: Semi Final Talk!

Luolis

May 11, 2016
Finland
Slafkovsky is interesting case and he has been one of the breakthrough players of this tournament, if not the breakthrough player.

He has only 1+3 in his 21 Liiga games, but I think that is due him having limited role. His ice time is about 13 minutes per game.
Yeah he's played a 3rd/4th liner role in Liiga with limited ice time and games (no powerplay responsibilities either apart from like one game). I think his stats are a bit unflattering compared to his effect as well, since he does a lot of good things when he's on ice and creates tons of chances there too. TPS just doesn't have too good quality finishing in their bottom lines and he has been a bit unlucky as well with his own chances.

You could see his quality by watching his games there for sure, but he's taken it to a better level in these olympics too.

Khoenator

May 14, 2016
Come on! Sweden has over 2000 NHL games played in this team.. It has to mean something.. Or are we saying NHL does not count?

Sweden has to have the upper hand.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Russia vs Sweden will be the most boring game ever. 2 teams who left tons of talent off thier rosters so they could win with defensive hockey.
Well they're both in the semis so I suppose the coaches were right. But still.:boredom:

They tried to emulate Jukka Jalonen's/Finland's approach with their roster selections in my opinion, where they would focus more on selecting the right players for the right roles. It feels like ROC/RUS for sure kind of did that. Not 100% sure about Sweden.

Can't blame them, because they see that Finland has a working formula and Russians are trusting that this time. Finland has always been a pain in the arse for Russians anyways. So maybe Russians foresaw this match up, because these two teams might have been the biggest favorites before the tournament, so they are trying something different. Can you beat J.Jalonen at his bread and butter game is another question. We might get to see that this tournament if Finland and ROC would be the finalists.

Reactions: mattihp

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
View attachment 507805

Brackets are Eastern Standard Time which probably helps almost no one on this thread.lol

It's funny how they had set up that time slot for Canada if NHL players played. That women's final today was played at the same time for the same reason. That's like 23:00 pm Eastern and maybe 21:00 in California for FIN-SVK game.

Reactions: Czechboy

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Btw I'll be mad if that goofball Roman Gofman Russian referee refs another Finland game this tournament. Always something chaotic happens when he's there. Worst international referee that I've seen. I've got bad memories of him from another tournament. Last time he was there during this tournament was in the Finland Sweden game and while Finland was quite undiciplined in the second period, some how that guy had to be there involved in Finland's by far the most chaotic period. Swedish defender cross checks a Finnish player from his back on the goalie, 2 minutes for Finland. It was a BS call. Then that 2+2 call should've been 2 minutes. It just feels peaceful and normal when Gofman is not around.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Well, Slovakia will totally fire on all cylinders after that upset over the USA - and it's a very likeable hockey nation, in many ways quite like us, tough fighters who thrive as underdogs. Of all the major nations I would least mind losing to them, the Swiss would come second. But I hope for a traditional Finland: skating hard, being very disciplined and having a hot goalie. If so, we will be clear favourites.

Slovakians play with a lot of heart, especially this tournament. It's a close 1 goal game for sure. In the first meeting Finland scored some beautiful goals, but I feel like there was little bit of luck involved with scoring on such a high efficiency. Some say that was skill, but in my opinion Finland would beat this current Slovakian team by 4 goals margin maybe 1/10 games if they did multiple games. Besides I'm sure that Slovakia has fixed those defensive holes they had by now. Many of the goals were breakaway type odd man rushes and that was a result of them not being able to play practice games.

MoeTheHobo

Jan 24, 2017
Slovakians play with a lot of heart, especially this tournament. It's a close 1 goal game for sure. In the first meeting Finland scored some beautiful goals, but I feel like there was little bit of luck involved with scoring on such a high efficiency. Some say that was skill, but in my opinion Finland would beat this current Slovakian team by 4 goals margin maybe 1/10 games if they did multiple games. Besides I'm sure that Slovakia has fixed those defensive holes they had by now. Many of the goals were breakaway type odd man rushes and that was a result of them not being able to play practice games.
I think it's safe to assume that Finland has improved their game since they last met as well.

I think 4-2 to Finland and a pretty undramatic game.

Dec 25, 2020
Hill Country
Russia and Sweden are nothing but drunken lizard monkeys , their hockey skills are laughable.

Finland and Slovakia , the true heroic warriors , the creamy goose liver ball stew of the crop. True caviar amongst the rotten fish eggs.

Perfect.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I think it's safe to assume that Finland has improved their game since they last met as well.

I think 4-2 to Finland and a pretty undramatic game.

It's true that Finland has improved as well but there is that big favorite vs underdog thing. If the underdog has a lot of heart it can be a difficult game. We'll see tomorrow. Slovakians are probably ready to die out there tomorrow and if there's a slight bit of arrogance on any of the Finland's players it's going to feel like very long game.

As someone said here that Slovakia hasn't beaten Finland in 18 years. Well Slovakian coaching staff only need to say that to motivate their players. So we know that Slovakia will be super motivated and the hope for Finland is that Slovakia is too ready for the game, I don't know how to say it better than that in English but we Finns know the term "kun lataus menee yli".

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
It's true that Finland has improved as well but there is that big favorite vs underdog thing. If the underdog has a lot of heart it can be a difficult game. We'll see tomorrow. Slovakians are probably ready to die out there tomorrow and if there's a slight bit of arrogance on any of the Finland's players it's going to feel like very long game.
They are absolutely gonna die on that ice

Reactions: Czechboy

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
They are absolutely gonna die on that ice

I mean what a redemption would that be if Slovakia won after Finland has given them so many beatings over the years. They could fix and erase a lot of those bad memories now with this game.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Russia and Sweden are nothing but drunken lizard monkeys , their hockey skills are laughable.

Finland and Slovakia , the true heroic warriors , the creamy goose liver ball stew of the crop. True caviar amongst the rotten fish eggs.

Perfect.

yes both russia and sweden sucks, even thought both teams are in semifinals. sweden win over latvia, slovakia, canada and took finland to ot. all luck. sure bud.

and this talk about warriors. sweden is the most hardworking team in the tournament so far.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Biggest and pretty much the only betting site of Finland is giving the odds:
1,50 Finland
4,75 OT
5,70 Slovakia

Comparing to ROC-SWE:
2,06 ROC
3,90 OT
3,15 SWE

Slovakia vs USA was something like OT 4 or 5, Slovakia wins 5 or 6. So I bet for Slovakia but my other things didn't hit sadly. Damn you ROC-DEN game :). On Hfboards I got it right anyways.

Dec 25, 2020
Hill Country
yes both russia and sweden sucks, even thought both teams are in semifinals. sweden win over latvia, slovakia, canada and took finland to ot. all luck. sure bud.

and this talk about warriors. sweden is the most hardworking team in the tournament so far.
Sweden never worked hard , their undisciplined group of berry pickers LUCKED out to get this far. And Russia? I blow my nose at this so-called Russian Olympic committee. There's nothing there just an empty can rattling down the road

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sweden never worked hard , their undisciplined group of berry pickers LUCKED out to get this far. And Russia? I blow my nose at this so-called Russian Olympic committee. There's nothing there just an empty can rattling down the road

you are not even watching the games if you think this swedish team is not working hard.

its not possible to have luck in 4 games in row.

almost everyone have russia as the strongest team in the tournament together with finland.

Dec 25, 2020
Hill Country
you are not even watching the games if you think this swedish team is not working hard.

its not possible to have luck in 4 games in row.

almost everyone have russia as the strongest team in the tournament together with finland.
Well I don't know why you're taking my messages seriously but yeah you are absolutely correct. I have not watched one minute of Olympic hockey. I wish the best to Sweden and Russia. My team is Finland but I still hope that Slovakia wins it. Might be good for their hockey program

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
I know this went just as Jalonen had planned it but handing the puck possession to Slovakia like this was really frustrating to watch. Would have been a more entertaining game if Slovakia would have scored first

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Sweden's gonna take this, Russia's gonna play Slovakia for Bronze. I think the score will be something like 4-3 OT win for Sweden.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Even if Sweden(against all odds) would win gold it would not feel that special. I hope Finland wins it all, they care the most out of them Sweden and Russia . Go get your first gold now lions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad