Olympics: Semi Final Talk!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It was implied and then also stated explicitly that NHL will not allow players to go to OG because of Covid and fearing they get stuck in quarantine. What I implied is that Covid is just an excuse. Players from Europe faced the same risk and same impact on European leagues, yet European leagues let them go. So no, it's not Covid, it's NHL's financial self interest.
They were also worried about that '5 week quarantine' and not getting their stars back. Of course, we all know, that there is no 5 week quarantine and the 4 eliminated teams (now 8) will all get home with no delay! I'm sure people are booing the Czechs at the airport right now.

Reactions: Luolis

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
It would be easy if success would be based on who has the best roster on paper. I doesn't work that way.

Finland is much bigger favorite against Slovakia than Russia is against Sweden. Likely final is Russia-Finland though.

donitsi

Jan 11, 2015
So you’re so confident Finland would win ?
Yes, if Finland plays in the final against Russia and the judges have not been bribed by Russia or China. Finland today has kryptonite for the Russians and they come up with the most wonderful reasons why they lost to Finland. :laugh::laugh: For example, when Barkov, Komarov or Donskoi score a goal for Finland, they are automatically Russian in the Russian media, even though they were born and raised in Finland. This is how the Russian media works. :laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Hasa92

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Slafkovsky is interesting case and he has been one of the breakthrough players of this tournament, if not the breakthrough player.

He has only 1+3 in his 21 Liiga games, but I think that is due him having limited role. His ice time is about 13 minutes per game.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Yes, if Finland plays in the final against Russia and the judges have not been bribed by Russia or China. Finland today has kryptonite for the Russians and they come up with the most wonderful reasons why they lost to Finland. :laugh::laugh:
Well, I would not be so confident, on paper Russia is clearly if not overwhelmingly the better team. Obviously we will be better coached (a given basically against all opponents) but their skill and speed might easily overcome our discipline in a single match. But emotionally it would be much easier to have Russia in the final (provided we even beat Slovakia) than Sweden. Losing to the yellow shirts would be so much worse than losing to Russia. (I'm an old school Finn, I think the younger generations are more evenly divided:))

donitsi

Jan 11, 2015
Well, I would not be so confident, on paper Russia is clearly if not overwhelmingly the better team. Obviously we will be better coached (a given basically against all opponents) but their skill and speed might easily overcome our discipline in a single match. But emotionally it would be much easier to have Russia in the final (provided we even beat Slovakia) than Sweden. Losing to the yellow shirts would be so much worse than losing to Russia. (I'm an old school Finn, I think the younger generations are more evenly divided:))
Well, I always cheer for Nordic cousins if Finland is not involved. Therefore, in the 2010s, Russia has risen rivaly, because in those games there is a feeling greater than in Swedish games.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Well, I always cheer for Nordic cousins if Finland is not involved. Therefore, in the 2010s, Russia has risen rivaly, because in those games there is a feeling greater than in Swedish games.
Yeah, I get that - and I really like the traditional Swedish style of hockey (though it has been getting rather random lately) - they used to have cool nerves and very balanced play, but now the individual coaches have been taking tactics this way and that. Russia as a rivalry is just bit too serious to my mind, too much history and present, hockey is just sports. Sweden is the most identical country to Finland on this green earth, it's kind of harmless to have this bitter rivalry with them :)

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Props to the Slovaks. Inspired stuff from Rybar... they hung in there and beat a very good team. A potential Gold Medal team.

donitsi

Jan 11, 2015
Yeah, I get that - and I really like the traditional Swedish style of hockey (though it has been getting rather random lately) - they used to have cool nerves and very balanced play, but now the individual coaches have been taking tactics this way and that. Russia as a rivalry is just bit too serious to my mind, too much history and present, hockey is just sports. Sweden is the most identical country to Finland on this green earth, it's kind of harmless to have this bitter rivalry with them :)

On paper, Finland has the best unified offensive chain in the KHL league, even Russia doesn't have a weapon like the UFA line-up, so whatever I read in the Russian sports media, the Russians were lucky not to face Finland now and consider Finland a bigger gold medal than their own Russian team, so maybe Finland has already created that deterrent effect in Russia.
:laugh::laugh::naughty:

Reactions: Hasa92

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
It was implied and then also stated explicitly that NHL will not allow players to go to OG because of Covid and fearing they get stuck in quarantine. What I implied is that Covid is just an excuse. Players from Europe faced the same risk and same impact on European leagues, yet European leagues let them go. So no, it's not Covid, it's NHL's financial self interest.
The Euro leagues are not a billion $ corporations nor do their top players have 8-12 million dollar contracts. Trying to compare the two is apples and oranges

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The Euro leagues are not a billion $ corporations nor do their top players have 8-12 million dollar contracts. Trying to compare the two is apples and oranges
Not really sure what's your take here. They have less money therefore it hurts them less to lose money? What?

Reactions: Jaska

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sweden always loose against Russia. They could probably send their Junior team and win. Swedens system dont work against the Russian system. Some games we did dominate in shots and possession and still lost. Finland on the other hand can send a second grade schoolclass, first time on skates, and still beat Russia. The way of the hockey gods are mysterious.

I predict
gold Finland
Russia silver
Svk Bronze.

well in this tournament there is not typcial swedish system. we have 4 checking lines

donitsi

Jan 11, 2015
Swedish hockey journalist Mats Wennerholm has been thinking for years that Finland is the big brother and Sweden the little brother in hockey. So why bully a little brother when a neighbor lives in Russia. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
Russia is clearly the best team left, I have no idea why Finland is mentioned with them. Finland is pretty much dead even with Sweden this tournament.
Honestly I have seen Finland even before the tournament started as the main favorite and Russia as the only true contender and I still think so. Obviously any team in this tournament excluding China could have won any medal but Finland & Russia are clearly above all others.

Reactions: Lambo

Dofs

Jun 25, 2021
Russia is clearly the best team left, I have no idea why Finland is mentioned with them. Finland is pretty much dead even with Sweden this tournament.
No way. Finland, even if slightly, but on paper has a better offense, defence, goaltending and coaching. And they play better in the tournament as of now too. They are absolutely the favourite to win, not Russia.

flemo

Jan 7, 2010
Off course it is financial interest, but things have been complicated by covid - many matches had to be postponed etc. One important difference between NHL teams and european professional teams is that latter are all in a field of competence of IIHF, and they simply cannot tell "sorry, we cannot let players to go to Olympic tournament, we need to continue our league". And european fans would not prefer league over Olympics.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Lol... So if person makes 50$/day, him losing 5 weeks earnings is lesser than person who makes 500$/day ?

Actually that person who makes 500$/day, most likely has enough savings so losing 5 weeks payroll isnt going to ruin him.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
As for covid, the question is how many of these players actually had symptoms of the disease and how many healthy were sent to quarantine just because of a positive test. Someone does not even have a cold and is considered sick by an unsuitable test. Do you remember what happened at the WJC in Canada? Boys without covid symptoms could not play because it was decided by stupid tests.

Player with covid, even incase without symptoms, can spread it to others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad