Speculation: Sellers market confirmed?

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
I don't think the Zucker deal was high at all. You are getting 4 playoff years of a top 6 forward in his prime that has put up over 30 goals and 60 points before. So far he has 2 goals and 3 points in his first 3 games with the Pens. I think a low 1st round pick which has only a 50% chance of developing into a productive NHL player plus a boom or bust smallish defenseman prospect that his Junior numbers have not increased in his last 3 years of Junior play is much of a price for Zucker.

I think the Zucker deal was not bad at all for the Pens. I would of hated giving up that package for a rental like Kreider. Also would of hated giving up that package for Coleman who is not as good a player and only 1 1/2 years of control. I think Rutherford made a very good deal. Honestly anyone thinking you are going to get a 20+ goal and 45+ point player over the past 3 years with 4 years of control for less is dreaming. Plus I can see Zucker producing at a higher level with the Pens and on a line with Crosby.
Zucker is a great trade for the Pens. The 4 year deal was what is the good part of it. Same idea when the Canucks traded for JT Miller, having 4 years on his contract made giving up a 1st way easier, if it was a 1 year deal then it would have been way more of a risk and bad deal as you may have to pay up big time. So you can't even put Zuckers trade in with other "rental" trades that will be happening, the higher cost is worth it with all those extra cost controlled years.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Greene for a 2nd+meh
Coleman for 1st+good prospect
Zucker for 1st, good prospect, cap dump

Is it just me, or this is quite high by the last few years standards? Not many quality rentals, but still. Wow.

What do you think? Is it a "Hanzal for first +" kind of year?
Without reading this chat Zucker was not just a rental he is signed for another few years.

Should also mention that I would not be surprised if it is a sellers market just because so many teams are in the heat and its hard to give away rentals when the rentals could push you over the edge.
Lots of teams with holes imo as well.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Without reading this chat Zucker was not just a rental he is signed for another few years.

Should also mention that I would not be surprised if it is a sellers market just because so many teams are in the heat and its hard to give away rentals when the rentals could push you over the edge.
Lots of teams with holes imo as well.
You could also look at it that since there is so little separation between teams which ones truly are ready to risk a big package of futures when they could just be a coin flip to win their series. Stl just got caught by Dallas in the standings and Col is 2 points back with games in hand. 2 of these teams are going head to head in round 1, so one of them will be out early.

Pacific division is wide open. Any team can get to the final 4 with the playoff setup. Van has the best performing goalie this season. Edm has the top 2 players. LV has the better overall team. Cal’s roster top to bottom is just under LV. A deal could push one of them over the top but it might not.

min the east, see clear separation with TB, Bos, Pitt, Was. Two of them have made big moves. Will the other 2 respond?

Everyone else, how do they feel about their chances of facing one of these 4 teams in the playoffs?

What is the price they will be willing to pay? Probably lower than the top teams.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
My fear right now is NYR playing their cards to the point they miss out. Kreider could have gotten a 1st and prospect easily, but I fear the ask is so high teams might move on and trade 1st elsewhere.
Valid concern IMO

"The tricky part of playing chicken is knowing when to flinch Mr. Ryan"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad