Speculation: Sell , Sell , Sell

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Kane is the one player we probably can't trade. It would be a PR disaster.
It's better to crap than to be forever constipated.

They ain't winning with this core. Trade away whomever has positive trade value. A Kane could net the next Kane in return. Wait 3-4 years and that value is gone. Too late the get any impact prospects.

Kane to Nashville for Tolvanen and a pick. Kane to Montreal for Kotkaniemi. Kane to Buffalo (!) for Mittelstadt. Leave the lesser valued players to appease the nostalgia fans. Toews and Keith can retire as Blackhawks, because what good does it do to trade them?

Reactions: Salvaged Ship

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I wouldn't call Crawford a bum. So far this year he's had his moments but does seem to mail it in once the game gets away from him. Which you can't really blame on him considering what's in front of him.

I'm still not sold on selling Anisimov if the plan is buying back Panarin.

Call me optimistic, but I see Strome developing nicely in this environment and as a three center along with Cat creating mis matches for other teams....next year.

Saad/Toews/Kahun
Panarin/Ani/Kane
Cat/Strome/Kakko

Ouch, with the Hawks defense that's a team that will score goals.

I'm really not buying this trade Keith talk. His play with Joker wasnt elite, but was solid. Is Keith transitioning down? Of course he is, but he's still very good.

Seabs and Keith will always be on this team. They need their minutes cut, but they are JCs go to guys in important situations and honestly, that's a luxury when/if the Hawks can be a playoff team again.

Then again, watch this team pull a Sabres and mess this scenario up.....

Honestly, I doubt that's the plan.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I seriously doubt Toronto does that.

I agree as far as Dubas probably won't... but if Babcock has any kind of say... Keith is probably his second favorite Blackhawk after Toews. Always gushing about him (not Toews level gush, but it's up there).

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Keith isn't Jagr, Selanne, or Chelios. Hell, he isn't even Hossa. If Keith was a comparable his play overall should be an order of magnitude better than last year and nor barely marginally better when paired with Joker. The $25,000 question I think is: Is Keith what he is, or is there another reason for his play?

I agree with @LDF: Keith is no longer a 1-2--he's ideally a 3-4. I have no problem with him pressganged into a 1-2 role as long as it's for player development, but he/Seabs should not be the guys anymore--they should be training the new guys.

IMHO Seabrook is less of a concern. IF there is a compliance buyout chances are Seabs would be the one to go for multiple reasons. Plus, there might be some weird clause in those compliance buyouts about recapture--possible even if improbable. To my knowledge Keith is a full-on NMC, which Seabrook's NMC gets modified in the final years of his deal. Seabs could retire officially and not hurt the 'hawks, Keith can't.

I think a major issue with the idea of trading Keith now is the remaining seasons, and other teams have to see this. The same could be said about Seabrook, as well as a few other guys. If a team gets Keith to get over the hump, what then? Their young up-and-comers will want to get paid and there's over $5M in reasons they can't be. Same with Seabrook, but over $6M in reasons. Now, in a guy like Crawford's case, he's signed this year and next--it would be easier for a team to opt-out (especially next year's TDL) if he's the piece that gets over the hump.
I can't argue with most of your points EXCEPT a couple subjectively.

1. I still think Keith still has a year or two as a first pairing DMen. I might be wrong. Maybe he is a 3/4 already which would make him hard to trade.

2. Perhaps a team could overlook Keith's contract for a Cup run or two? Teams have acted irrational before when chasing a Cup. That's my wishful thinking.

3. I'm hoping the new CBA has an amnesty c!ause like the NBA did. Bettman is a Stern disciple. The NBA's amnesty / compliance clause had no "recapture hit." It was a straight buyout for one player without impacting the salary cap. It was that clean.

I'm not going to even pretend I know that much about the rules of "recapturing." That I will leave to you.

Here's the question: how confident are you about a compliance clause for one exception in the new CBA? If that's the case, Keith's contract isn't that big of a problem if Seabrook's contract can be eliminated. Toews and Kane's contracts are acceptable. Crow and Anisimov are moveable (if necessary) due to their shorter length.

That new CBA is critical. If teams are aware of a possible compliance buyout clause ... they might roll the dice with Keith for a run at the Cup or two (dependent on what you think of him).

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Keith.....2 issues...re-cause risk...and team trading for him. Needs to be convinced he has not lost his abilities to be effective at least defensively ..and that he can play out remainder of his contract...

So have Keith's mind and reactions slowed to meh/imeefectivenlrvels OR is this just him not trying cause he thinks the cause is now hopeless with the current state of the Hawks?

If it is the latter,Maybe a team who is a playoff contender with $5million of cap space would risk on getting an excited and re-juvenated Keith playing well for a good team?

BUT would you albatross yourself till the end of 22/23 season on a soon to be 36 yr old? Just force maybe 2 Cup runs?

OF COURSE they could buy him out after the current CBA end early and new one comes in forc20/21 season...or if compliance buyouts given when Seattle joins before start of 21/22 season.
But it brings up the re-capture issue once some team compliance buys him out in those scenarios.....Compliance buy-outs would not trigger any re-capture.

Of course Keith would need to waive his NMC with no trade to be traded..He probably wants no part of a re-build .

Seabrook ...again asinine he wants out too and waives his NMC with no trade is impossible to trade given $6.875 big ones and his contract going 5 more years after thus season..besides what GM is crazy enough to want a clearly over the hill guy like him? Unlike Keith where we do not know if it is mere attitude or decline of ability causing poor play
..with Seabrook we can see he cannot move fast enough out there to be effective anymore.. To move him we would need to take back salary and also give up assets we would rather not ...
How would you feel if they wanted Ian Mitchell or a 1st round pick just to get rid cod Seabrook and that we retain $3 million per of his salary to take him off our hands?

It is not happening ...too expensive to deal off ..we are albatrossed.

Better to make him a 5th line winger at reduced minutes and ride him out till compliance buy-out .

Kane ...would bring highest return in trade ...but wouldc trigger even more season ticket cancellations ....Buffalo has 3 first rounders in 2019 ...their own would be late since they look to be a legit contender ...not sure what the other 2 picks they own are ...But Kane would likely be 2 firsts and a prospect...and maybe we have to take back a contract.

Toews. .do not think anyone takes his contract ..so he stays.

Saad ...easier to trade ...less cap ...less term than T and K and also no waiving of NMC no trade involved...

But the point this eexalreafy have lots of cap space for next season..Trading off more cap space does not mean we will be an attractive team to free agents if they want to win now also ..

So it may not help to add even more cap space ..just to fill with the lesser free agents.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Keith.....2 issues...re-cause risk...and team trading for him. Needs to be convinced he has not lost his abilities to be effective at least defensively ..and that he can play out remainder of his contract...

So have Keith's mind and reactions slowed to meh/imeefectivenlrvels OR is this just him not trying cause he thinks the cause is now hopeless with the current state of the Hawks?

If it is the latter,Maybe a team who is a playoff contender with $5million of cap space would risk on getting an excited and re-juvenated Keith playing well for a good team?

BUT would you albatross yourself till the end of 22/23 season on a soon to be 36 yr old? Just force maybe 2 Cup runs?

OF COURSE they could buy him out after the current CBA end early and new one comes in forc20/21 season...or if compliance buyouts given when Seattle joins before start of 21/22 season.
But it brings up the re-capture issue once some team compliance buys him out in those scenarios.....Compliance buy-outs would not trigger any re-capture.

Of course Keith would need to waive his NMC with no trade to be traded..He probably wants no part of a re-build .

Seabrook ...again asinine he wants out too and waives his NMC with no trade is impossible to trade given $6.875 big ones and his contract going 5 more years after thus season..besides what GM is crazy enough to want a clearly over the hill guy like him? Unlike Keith where we do not know if it is mere attitude or decline of ability causing poor play
..with Seabrook we can see he cannot move fast enough out there to be effective anymore.. To move him we would need to take back salary and also give up assets we would rather not ...
How would you feel if they wanted Ian Mitchell or a 1st round pick just to get rid cod Seabrook and that we retain $3 million per of his salary to take him off our hands?

It is not happening ...too expensive to deal off ..we are albatrossed.

Better to make him a 5th line winger at reduced minutes and ride him out till compliance buy-out .

Kane ...would bring highest return in trade ...but wouldc trigger even more season ticket cancellations ....Buffalo has 3 first rounders in 2019 ...their own would be late since they look to be a legit contender ...not sure what the other 2 picks they own are ...But Kane would likely be 2 firsts and a prospect...and maybe we have to take back a contract.

Toews. .do not think anyone takes his contract ..so he stays.

Saad ...easier to trade ...less cap ...less term than T and K and also no waiving of NMC no trade involved...

But the point this eexalreafy have lots of cap space for next season..Trading off more cap space does not mean we will be an attractive team to free agents if they want to win now also ..

So it may not help to add even more cap space ..just to fill with the lesser free agents.
Some retorts:

1. Kane will never go back to Buffalo. He would be stupid to do so.
2. Toews upped his game. I'm okay with his contract.
3. I don't know what to do with Saad and Murphy.

Here's another question: what is Keith right now? My premise is that Keith is a top pairing DMen with another year or two left in the tank. Many of you think he's already a 2nd pairing DMen. What is he? Am I wrong?

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
Some retorts:

Here's another question: what is Keith right now? My premise is that Keith is a top pairing DMen with another year or two left in the tank. Many of you think he's already a 2nd pairing DMen. What is he? Am I wrong?
IMO, Keith is expendable, along with Seabrook, Ruutta, Manning, Hayden, Anisimov, Crawford. I thought he was terrible last year and he looks the same or worse this year.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Keith isn't Jagr, Selanne, or Chelios. Hell, he isn't even Hossa. If Keith was a comparable his play overall should be an order of magnitude better than last year and nor barely marginally better when paired with Joker. The $25,000 question I think is: Is Keith what he is, or is there another reason for his play?

I agree with @LDF: Keith is no longer a 1-2--he's ideally a 3-4. I have no problem with him pressganged into a 1-2 role as long as it's for player development, but he/Seabs should not be the guys anymore--they should be training the new guys.

IMHO Seabrook is less of a concern. IF there is a compliance buyout chances are Seabs would be the one to go for multiple reasons. Plus, there might be some weird clause in those compliance buyouts about recapture--possible even if improbable. To my knowledge Keith is a full-on NMC, which Seabrook's NMC gets modified in the final years of his deal. Seabs could retire officially and not hurt the 'hawks, Keith can't.

I think a major issue with the idea of trading Keith now is the remaining seasons, and other teams have to see this. The same could be said about Seabrook, as well as a few other guys. If a team gets Keith to get over the hump, what then? Their young up-and-comers will want to get paid and there's over $5M in reasons they can't be. Same with Seabrook, but over $6M in reasons. Now, in a guy like Crawford's case, he's signed this year and next--it would be easier for a team to opt-out (especially next year's TDL) if he's the piece that gets over the hump.
that is why i am saying the players union and the owner will agree to the buyout. for some, cash for their contract up front. for others, another chance to sign another deal, less lucrative, but more money for them.

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
It's better to crap than to be forever constipated.

They ain't winning with this core. Trade away whomever has positive trade value. A Kane could net the next Kane in return. Wait 3-4 years and that value is gone. Too late the get any impact prospects.

Kane to Nashville for Tolvanen and a pick. Kane to Montreal for Kotkaniemi. Kane to Buffalo (!) for Mittelstadt. Leave the lesser valued players to appease the nostalgia fans. Toews and Keith can retire as Blackhawks, because what good does it do to trade them?
You should have come around earlier—they won THREE with this core, and it may have been the best run any fan of any team has ever gotten. Too bad you missed it.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Some retorts:

Retorts to your retorts:
1/ Sabres have won 10 in a row and are one of the league surprises. Kane could be tempted if that keeps up. It is his home remember.
2/ Agree about Toews, but also hope he can keep it up as he has shown signs of slowing after a fantastic start to this season.
3/ Saad: I get a feeling that he will thrive under JC. Murphy is still an unknown to me but I think JC will give him every opportunity to play top 4 minutes when he returns.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I can't argue with most of your points EXCEPT a couple subjectively.

1. I still think Keith still has a year or two as a first pairing DMen. I might be wrong. Maybe he is a 3/4 already which would make him hard to trade.

2. Perhaps a team could overlook Keith's contract for a Cup run or two? Teams have acted irrational before when chasing a Cup. That's my wishful thinking.

3. I'm hoping the new CBA has an amnesty c!ause like the NBA did. Bettman is a Stern disciple. The NBA's amnesty / compliance clause had no "recapture hit." It was a straight buyout for one player without impacting the salary cap. It was that clean.

I'm not going to even pretend I know that much about the rules of "recapturing." That I will leave to you.

Here's the question: how confident are you about a compliance clause for one exception in the new CBA? If that's the case, Keith's contract isn't that big of a problem if Seabrook's contract can be eliminated. Toews and Kane's contracts are acceptable. Crow and Anisimov are moveable (if necessary) due to their shorter length.

That new CBA is critical. If teams are aware of a possible compliance buyout clause ... they might roll the dice with Keith for a run at the Cup or two (dependent on what you think of him).
#1: Keith seems to have aged--especially mentally. His shooting/passing releases take for ever and his double-clutch hasn't been fooling anyone for years now. Further, on the back end he tries to do WAY too much--especially for other who blow their coverage. Anymore when he tries to cover for someone else he also loses his check and thus giving the goalie 2 uncovered players to deal with as opposed to 1. He may still be okay in footspeed but in terms of game execution he's not there anymore. That's not to say he's at the same level as, say, Rosival in terms of aging, but he's not the player he once was. It seemed to me when Joker was playing with him Joker had just enough raw talent/raw hockey IQ to take care of himself which helped Keith's game a bit. Overall though his game has regressed. His game in my opinion right now is that of a 3/4 guy on his own. With a competent partner he can probably be a 1/2. You just can't expect him to do anything on the PP and you definitely can't expect him to carry anyone anymore. That's not to say in the open market he couldn't fetch something that's valuable but if the NMC & Recaptures were not a thing his value would be maximized by trading him to a team that has a 1/2 or a 3/4 D-man left on an island without a competent partner as well. What Keith cannot be though is "The Guy" anymore. He once was but isn't anymore and I think other teams would see this--which limits his possible destinations further.

#2: In the Non-NMC and non-Recapture world, sure. That would be the target. We do live in that world, though.

#3: I would like to think we all want at least 1 amnesty buyout in the next CBA, but a few things have to happen: The Players union and/or the NHL have to opt out (likely but not guaranteed), the new CBA has to be drafted and agreed upon (hopefully without a strike/lockout), they have to agree to have amnesty buyouts (I'd like to think they will), and we'd have to hope that the CBA wouldn't have a clause precluding us from buying out the player we'd want to buy out. On it's face I don't think it would be an issue, but I also didn't think anyone saw Recapture being a thing.

Speaking of which when it comes to recapture, the TL;DR version is this: If Keith officially retires, the 'hawks have to pay up to 4M in a cap penalty--this is irrespective of whether or not we trade him--the 'hawks are on the hook. Thus, if Stan/McDonut pull some Pullford/$Bill crap on him, he can fire one hell of a parting shot. Thankfully, he's the last one of those we have.

that is why i am saying the players union and the owner will agree to the buyout. for some, cash for their contract up front. for others, another chance to sign another deal, less lucrative, but more money for them.

You'd think they would but nothing is guaranteed. The flipside as well we have to watch out for is what clauses in the new CBA can hijack teams. As I alluded to above: I don't think may saw Recapture coming as a way to punish retirement contracts--like Keith & Hossa have. For all we know in the next CBA Prongering (going on permanent LTIR) is no longer viable. Let's say at that point there's 2 years left on Keith's deal and he's all used up. What then? Or, if what @piteus is referring to happens, We trade Keith out and the same happens, but Progering is not allowed and the effects of recapture still affect the 'hawks. Again: hypothetical.

My point is that Keith's deal is a potential minefield at this point. Seabrook, Kan, Toews, etc. are straightforward--at least for now.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
#1: Keith seems to have aged--especially mentally. His shooting/passing releases take for ever and his double-clutch hasn't been fooling anyone for years now. Further, on the back end he tries to do WAY too much--especially for other who blow their coverage. Anymore when he tries to cover for someone else he also loses his check and thus giving the goalie 2 uncovered players to deal with as opposed to 1. He may still be okay in footspeed but in terms of game execution he's not there anymore. That's not to say he's at the same level as, say, Rosival in terms of aging, but he's not the player he once was. It seemed to me when Joker was playing with him Joker had just enough raw talent/raw hockey IQ to take care of himself which helped Keith's game a bit. Overall though his game has regressed. His game in my opinion right now is that of a 3/4 guy on his own. With a competent partner he can probably be a 1/2. You just can't expect him to do anything on the PP and you definitely can't expect him to carry anyone anymore. That's not to say in the open market he couldn't fetch something that's valuable but if the NMC & Recaptures were not a thing his value would be maximized by trading him to a team that has a 1/2 or a 3/4 D-man left on an island without a competent partner as well. What Keith cannot be though is "The Guy" anymore. He once was but isn't anymore and I think other teams would see this--which limits his possible destinations further.

#2: In the Non-NMC and non-Recapture world, sure. That would be the target. We do live in that world, though.

#3: I would like to think we all want at least 1 amnesty buyout in the next CBA, but a few things have to happen: The Players union and/or the NHL have to opt out (likely but not guaranteed), the new CBA has to be drafted and agreed upon (hopefully without a strike/lockout), they have to agree to have amnesty buyouts (I'd like to think they will), and we'd have to hope that the CBA wouldn't have a clause precluding us from buying out the player we'd want to buy out. On it's face I don't think it would be an issue, but I also didn't think anyone saw Recapture being a thing.

Speaking of which when it comes to recapture, the TL;DR version is this: If Keith officially retires, the 'hawks have to pay up to 4M in a cap penalty--this is irrespective of whether or not we trade him--the 'hawks are on the hook. Thus, if Stan/McDonut pull some Pullford/$Bill crap on him, he can fire one hell of a parting shot. Thankfully, he's the last one of those we have.

You'd think they would but nothing is guaranteed. The flipside as well we have to watch out for is what clauses in the new CBA can hijack teams. As I alluded to above: I don't think may saw Recapture coming as a way to punish retirement contracts--like Keith & Hossa have. For all we know in the next CBA Prongering (going on permanent LTIR) is no longer viable. Let's say at that point there's 2 years left on Keith's deal and he's all used up. What then? Or, if what @piteus is referring to happens, We trade Keith out and the same happens, but Progering is not allowed and the effects of recapture still affect the 'hawks. Again: hypothetical.

My point is that Keith's deal is a potential minefield at this point. Seabrook, Kan, Toews, etc. are straightforward--at least for now.
of course there is no guarantees and you are correct about this..... what i like is what you bring up on the contracts that are unmovable.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well I cannot see how an amnesty compliance buy-out would be stymied by re-capture..it is not a player retiring early ..it is a gift buy-out that cannot affect the Cap...PERIOD..

Secondly even if there bis only 1 of these allowed for the new CBA ,they may give another one when Seattle gets its expansion draft ....

The players must play the 19/20 season after they notify of opting out of the current CBA by the dealing in September 2019...The NHL will not be holding an expansion draft in the summer of 2020...a new CBA may not be in place till either just before the 2020 /21 season OR possibly into 2021 if it goes that long in negotiations like the last one ..Thus you cannot expect an expansion draft till the summer of 2021 ...they will never start the Seattle franchise on a half season..so to be sure it will only be allowed to start for 2021/22 not 20/21 ..

BUT no portion of 20/21 season with current teams would start under a new CBA without the usual compliance amnesty buy-out (1 or 2 of these probable)

This in a period of 2 seasons there possibly could be 2-4 such compliance buy-outs...Probably just 2...maybe 3..probably not 4 ...

The reason for these is to allow clubs a re-set of cap issues 1) first because of any new CBA...2) because of expansion and loss of players

So there SHOULD be a total of anywhere from 2 to 4 of these given for that 2 yr consecutive period...

Last edited:

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Well I cannot see how an amnesty compliance buy-out would be stymied by re-capture..it is not a player retiring early ..it is a gift buy-out that cannot affect the Cap...PERIOD..

Secondly even if there bis only 1 of these allowed for the new CBA ,they may give another one when Seattle gets its expansion draft ....

The players must play the 19/20 season after they notify of opting out of the current CBA by the dealing in September 2019...The NHL will not be holding an expansion draft in the summer of 2020...a new CBA may not be in place till either just before the 2020 /21 season OR possibly into 2021 if it goes that long in negotiations like the last one ..Thus you cannot expect an expansion draft till the summer of 2021 ...they will never start the Seattle franchise on a half season..so to be sure it will only be allowed to start for 2021/22 not 20/21 ..

BUT no portion of 20/21 season with current teams would start under a new CBA without the usual compliance amnesty buy-out (1 or 2 of these probable)

This in a period of 2 seasons there possibly could be 2-4 such compliance buy-outs...Probably just 2...maybe 3..probably not 4 ...

The reason for these is to allow clubs a re-set of cap issues 1) first because of any new CBA...2) because of expansion and loss of players

So there SHOULD be a total of anywhere from 2 to 4 of these given for that 2 yr consecutive period...

The fact that recapture was a thing to begin with means the NHL might do something dumb...

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

This is very good stuff. Thank you.

Reactions: LordKOTL

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
There's an old saying for aging brain syndrome...we call it:Out To Lunch...when you see 2 and 7 standing around watching pucks go in past them ...slow reaction and poirvreading/anticipation and horrors not even aware wherevthebpuck is at their feet..well you know their brains are fried and out to lunch (so much easier to relieve past glories at the safety if the Country Club)...maybe had Q bag -skated them last season ..maybe they would have woken from their slumber. .but I said maybe..Now it looks way to late...brains just not in the game even if (and it is also a big 8f) their muscles are so slow to react well now )...In the past they could react quick on instinct ...now they just look ...bewildered ...as in why is this happening ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad