Selke Race 2016-2017

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
The "passes the Bergeron test" Sportlogiq advanced stats look at the Selke:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/five-major-contenders-selke-trophy-season/

Tavares suggestion is pretty out of left field.

There really is no measure that doesn't support Bergeron winning again. People look at this award in so many different ways, but Bergeron checks the boxes on all of them.

And that doesn't look at penalty kill - in which Bergeron is the #1 unit for a top 5 ranked p.k.
The only argument against him is if Boston misses the playoffs again - which is probably why Kopitar edged him out last year.

in answer to people complaining that it's a 'reputation award'. If your team is nursing a one goal lead with a minute left in the game - (especially if it's a defensive zone face-off) and could pick any player in the league to put out there... I'm betting most everyone from fans to other players to pundits to coaches and g.m.'s has Bergeron at the top of their list - not because of reputation but because he's that good.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I know Marchand doesn't have a chance because he plays with Bergeron and is a winger but I think he deserves at the very least consideration and for my money should be a nominee. Let's not forget the two way aspect, because sure he isn't as good as Bergeron or Kesler in that regard but for me an over ppg season with elite defense closes the gap pretty easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad