Seider vs Drysdale

In a vacuum, who do you think is the better prospect?

• Total voters

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Drysdale is pretty overrated offensively imo. We literally have his wonky AHL debut season stats as the only indicator that he can be a legit point producing #1Dman someday.

He wasnt a dynamo is the OHL - just really damn good. But not even close to some of the more dynamic offensive players we've seen from the CHL in the last decade or so.

His WJC stats and performance are a bit of a paradox for me. Its mind boggling that he saw as much ice time as he did on a powerhouse team that won some games by double digit scores - did not manage more than 2pts. Thats almost comically unimpressive, and hopefully just insanely bad luck.

He was phenomenal as a two way player at the WJC and played his role well. But this crazy outlier of 2pts is not something I can gloss over on a team that scored 16 goals in one game.. He should have some badly inflated stats, and we should be talking about pumping the brakes on his hype and WJC stats.

But yet he scored 2pts (despite that being close to a statistical impossibility given his role). He didnt come through big and his team lost the tournament. And somehow he left that tourney as being the hyped D prospect on the planet, and totally blemish free....Despite only scoring 2pts.

Now let me follow this by saying that he sees the ice VERY well. Hes smart, high IQ hockey and silky smooth skating Jamie's bread and butter. Hes got a great NHL future ahead of him.

But he is absolutely not in the same mould as a Karlsson, Makar, Hughes, Heskainen ect type class of elite offensive Dmen. These guys can win the game singlehandely for their teams, and tilt the ice their way. Despite skating at a level close to some of them, I dont find that Drysdale can rush the puck end to end and attack the zone as a one man army like they can.

Hes good on the breakout dont mistake what Im saying, but walking through the opposing team and finishing plays at the highest level is just not something Drysdale will be able to do like those other players can. He plays a more cerebral type of game, with far less flash (and also less risk to be fair to him).

Anyways I like Drysdale but I cant lie that Im somewhat unsure where all of this unreal hype that has come from tbh. If he finished the WJC tourney at or above a PPG the hype would have been totally out of control as of today. And what Im critiquing him on was well documented before the draft (hes not Makar bottom line). And yet somehow hes already erased all of those questions in the eyes of most....

Whereas Seider could be paired with a guy like say Chabot - and he would likely grow into dominant top pairing Dman given his skillset, and how well he would compliment a more offensive-mindeed partner. But Drysdale's offensive ability and his size would lead me to believe hes more likely suited to being a #3 type guy in an ideal world, and wont be good enough with the puck to run with the alpha dogs of the league.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Certain parts of the game defensively?

Are you suggesting that Drysdale is on par if not better than Seider overall defensively? If so, that’s an argument I’ve certainly never heard before.

It's my opinion. Is Trouba better defensively than Girard? Most would say no.

Being bigger and more physical doesn't make a defensemen better at defending. There are many smaller defensemen who are just as good defensively as bigger defensemen. I'm not criticizing Seider's defense or saying he's not good. I'm saying this idea that Seider is automatically better defenisvely because he's bigger is something I don't agree with.

Reactions: AngelDuck

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
Funny for this poll, had Detroit picked Drysdale I would say they would be their future #1 pair as there games seem to compliment one another very well, if one could play LD.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
They are two different types of prospects. Both promising young talents and couldn't go wrong with either one.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
It's my opinion. Is Trouba better defensively than Girard? Most would say no.

Being bigger and more physical doesn't make a defensemen better at defending. There are many smaller defensemen who are just as good defensively as bigger defensemen. I'm not criticizing Seider's defense or saying he's not good. I'm saying this idea that Seider is automatically better defenisvely because he's bigger is something I don't agree with.
Agreed that just being bigger and more physical doesn’t equate to being better defensively. But what make those traits so enticing on Seider is that they’re essentially just the cherry on top of him. His defensive stick work, IQ, and skating are is his foundation. He’s not just some big body running around aimlessly. Even if he didn’t hit he’d have a bit upside defensively. Leading up to the draft as a prospect it was said that he was already advanced defensively and that it was untapped offensive ability that made him intriguing. And since then he’s shown exactly that - stepping into tournaments and men’s leagues and being a stud defensively while also unlocking some of that offensive potential.

With all of that being said, Drysdale is very promising as a prospect as well.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
two very very different players . dry's an elite neidemyer level skater and finess style great offensive talent . seiders an outside linebacker on skates with a sneaky fast stride , plus smarts , that allows him to cover and dominate more space per 200' than anybody out there . an extremely elite defensive force that hits as hard as any hockey player on earth and also has the smarts , graceful skating , reach , bulk to be an extreme shut down force . elite level shut down dman ... and with puck hes very smart with good hands allowing him to be a very solid , but not elite like dry's , offensive force ... a very unique player the likes of ive never seen before . initially after watching his first season in ahl i said larry robinson but hes not that smooth and offensively talented . and personally i was against detroit taking raymond and had drysdale before him . but ive not seen enough of drys as a pro to have an opinion in this comparison . but i will say i see seider as a future #1 and dominant top 5 nhl dman . very smart , competitive , rugged , good wheeled , soft handed , big bodied . and near anybody thats seen all his work since draft day would tell you about the same ...

GingerJesus28

This is the way
Feb 25, 2015
Saskatchewan
I'm shocked at this blowout. Drysdale for me. Not by much, but yeah.

Seider could end up being another big physical dman who busts. Seem to be a lot of those. So I'll take Drysdale for now.

GingerJesus28

This is the way
Feb 25, 2015
Saskatchewan
yeah there are no small, unphysical d-men that bust.
Never said there weren't lol. Just the rate of big strong physical dmen who are drafted high that bust is a bit higher than smaller skilled dmen who bust.

I still think Seider will be a good player. I just think Drysdale will be better. Wasn't a shot at anyone.

Other than the lopsided poll, which is a bit ridiculous IMO. Drysdale looks super comfortable playing on a terrible ducks team at 18(!!) That's insanely hard to do at the nhl level as a dman.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Drysdale is better offensively, but Seider is the better defenceman.

way too early to tell but I take Seider right now.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Drysdale is Makar level of talent.

Seider is not.

I'm not sure why anybody would compare a 5' 11" 190 pound offensive minded defenseman to a 6' 4" 210 pound defensive minded defenseman soooo yeah, you're right I guess.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I somehow own both in my 31 team dynasty league, and I definitely value Seider more.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The first three I agree about. I think taking the first three to mean the fourth is true doesn’t always apply.
You act like people think he's a good defender because he's big and physical, people think he's a good defender because he has great gap control and incredible stick on puck defensive play - along with being big/physical and controlling the game with his skating ability and passing from the back end. He's not Drysdale in that respect, but he's really good. You'd think, as someone who's been regurgitating these same tropes since before he was drafted, you might have looked into it a bit. But apparently you haven't taken the time to educate yourself.

Reactions: K1900L

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You act like people think he's a good defender because he's big and physical, people think he's a good defender because he has great gap control and incredible stick on puck defensive play - along with being big/physical and controlling the game with his skating ability and passing from the back end. He's not Drysdale in that respect, but he's really good. You'd think, as someone who's been regurgitating these same tropes since before he was drafted, you might have looked into it a bit. But apparently you haven't taken the time to educate yourself.

I was referring to a comparison of two players, not the skillset of one player.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I don't believe Drysdales offence is on some other level compared to Seider. I don't even think Drysdales offence is what makes him special. People expecting Makar or Hughes level will be extremely disappointed.

Reactions: Getz2noone

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Drysdale is Makar level of talent.

Seider is not.
As a huge Makar fan I sincerely doubt this. I've only seen a bit of Drysdale, but I never came away with the same impression I came away with when seeing Makar at 18/19. What Makar is at such a young age is something you see out of only a couple players over a 10 year span. The majority of Norris winners over the past 15-20 years were not this good at this age.

J15

Mar 18, 2009
Don’t know how anyone can watch Seider’s season this year and pick him. He showed up to Rogle without a preseason and immediately became the #1 option, and is now the favourite the win SHL defencemen of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad