Seider vs Drysdale

In a vacuum, who do you think is the better prospect?

• Total voters

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As a huge Makar fan I sincerely doubt this. I've only seen a bit of Drysdale, but I never came away with the same impression I came away with when seeing Makar at 18/19. What Makar is at such a young age is something you see out of only a couple players over a 10 year span. The majority of Norris winners over the past 15-20 years were not this good at this age.

At 18/19 people were saying Makar was over-drafted.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012

A couple months after turning 19 he was only playing like 10 minutes a night at the world juniors and still managed 8 points in 7 games, and then was invited to play for team canada at the Olympics (which he turned down).

My best guess for his limited minutes at world Jr was college team only let him go if canada agreed to use him sparingly.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
A couple months after turning 19 he was only playing like 10 minutes a night at the world juniors and still managed 8 points in 7 games, and then was invited to play for team canada at the Olympics (which he turned down).

My best guess for his limited minutes at world Jr was college team only let him go if canada agreed to use him sparingly.
wut?

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Makar was invited to play at the 2018 Olympics, which happened shortly after the 2018 World juniors. Of course, NHLers didn't take part in this Olympics, but none of the other Canadian world junior dmen got the invite, so still a pretty big deal.

Assume he turned it down cuz he had an obligation to his college team.

Avalanche prospect Cale Makar turns down 2018 Olympics invite from Team Canada, per report
Wow I didn't realize he was on their radar for that.

Thanks for the link.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

He also wasn’t great his first season at UMass. It was limited minutes at the WJC and not a great freshman season in college hockey. For where he was picked, that’s going to have people questioning the pick, and they did.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
People on this site maybe were, but I don't let that influence my opinion of what I can see with my eyes. He was oozing talent. Drysdale has a long way to go to catch Makar at 20 when he entered the NHL and even further to go to catch Makar and where he's at right now at 22.

That isn't to say it's impossible, just unlikely. For example, I never in a million years would have thought Draisaitl at 18/19 was going to be a perennial top 3 point producer. I also would have never guessed at 22 that Drai would become a 50 goal scorer and one of the top goal scorers in the league. Sometimes players make these incredible leaps in their development, but these jumps are not common.

Last edited:

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Don’t know how anyone can watch Seider’s season this year and pick him. He showed up to Rogle without a preseason and immediately became the #1 option, and is now the favourite the win SHL defencemen of the year.
Senators fans know what it’s like to be disappointed by a defenceman who won this.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
The only area I really see Drysdale ahead of Seider at this point is in his overall agility, but that's because he is a truly gifted skater, whereas Seider is only... really good. Otherwise I think they will both have a similar impact offensively (if not slightly in Seider's favor) in the NHL but Seider will be significantly better defensively and physically, and that's not to say that Drysdale is the second coming of Quinn Hughes on defense. I think he's going to end up a pretty well rounded player. Seider is just on another level in those aspects of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad